Stock Suspension Height - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Stock Suspension Height

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #31
kchecca

OK, so a month later, I finally get the bigger tires on the truck. A sick 2 year old and some major house stuff has slowed me down.

Here are the pics with the 265/70R17's on the truck. They are about 1" taller than the 265/65R17's previously on and they are a true all-terrain tread, so that looks better. Also, I put on some 1.25" spacers from Fred Groeske in CA. High quality 6061 spacers for $65/ea versus new wheels, since I like the factory wheel look anyway.

Overall, it looks and rides great. A slightly more sluggish feel on the road due to the taller tire, but not bad. A little more noise, but that's all tread. I did have the spacers on the old tires for a couple weeks, so I can tell you they are perfectly true and tight.

I have NO rubbing whatsoever on the road. No issues at full lock, even on the plastic inner fenders which I thought I would have to trim. I dont know about real flexing, but I might be able to get our club RTI ramp just to play with.

So, I am a happy guy at this point. Also, I am going to sell the 265/65R17's I have on Ebay, but I was not sure if anyone here is interested. They have a total of 3000 miles on them from the two trucks they have been on. They might actually fit on a stock truck with some minor trimming.

If no one bites off this post, I can put it to the for sale. I hope I havent broken some rule on cross posting, I just figured that all the Commander guys interested in that tire would be reading this!

Let me know if anyone has any more detailed questions. I am having fun with this.

kchecca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #32
SYCOHEMI

Perfect!!! Glad to hear your son is doing better.

Just the post I was waiting for, Kchecca.

I guess our 5x5 bolt pattern is from old GM trucks or something, and it seems that wheel choices are fairly limited.

So, after talking to a lot of people, I may go the spacer route too. I have the same wheels you do.

Oh, and if anyone is interested is stock Forteras with almost 7,000 miles on them, I may soon have an extra set.

I'd like full details on the spacer specifications, so I can order a set from Fred.

I searched Google and found www.wheeladaptor.com, and this add'l info.

Fred Goeske operates Design Deluxe Mfg., specializing in the manufacturing of custom wheel adapters, repairing aluminum wheels including modifications such as bolt patterns, center bores and chrome plating.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #33
silverback

I really like it

got any true side pics
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #34
SYCOHEMI

Just got off the phone with Fred. He called me within minutes after I sent the online request form. Since he is local, I am going to drive out to Canoga Park, this saturday, and he will make them for me on the spot. We talked a little bit about his racing experience, and he has done a lot of racing.

I was a test rider for BMW's 168hp K1200S motorcycle in 2004 on the Nurburgring, and he's raced on that track too. Sounds like a neat guy. Makes the spacers out of Alcoa Aluminum.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 04-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #35
kchecca

No real side pics for reference, I just took a couple quick ones. I'll hit some more once I have some better scenery and the weather kicks over (nice today, but raining tonight and for a couple days, damn you So Cal folks).

Fred is quite the character, but his products are top notch. The spacers were great and exactly what I asked for. Just dont get Fred talking about our Jeep gas gussling and that everyone should be running Prius's or something. (Sorry Fred, no offense, we love our jeeps despite their gas mileage!).

I generally find that I hate aftermarket wheel patterns and finishes, plus the prices are silly if you have a perfectly new and attractive wheel with just the wrong backspace. Technically, my state doesnt allow spacers, but I would argue this design (double bolt on vs. a pure spacer) and I doubt anyone would even see it unless they were looking specifically.

-Keith
Unread 04-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #36
zim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Can you explain the differences between the spacers. I didn't know there were different kinds. Your Jeep looks like it should come that way from the factory. Exaclty what I was waiting to see. Does the spacer go inside the disc or outside. Very nice again. I can't wait!
zim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #37
kchecca

The spacer bolts to the flange just like a wheel would. The it provides a new set of lug bolts to bolt the wheel to. They are machined just like a wheel, so the tolerances are tight and the holes provide the alignment. Check out www.wheeladaptor.com for pics or just search for wheel spacers.
Unread 04-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #38
SYCOHEMI

Got my spacers on this morning. Fred and Kevin were friendly and efficient. They machined the spacers on the spot, 5x5 bolt pattern, 1.25 inch spacer, mounted them, and I was on my way.

Now I can go look for some tires. Thanks Kchecca.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 04-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #39
SYCOHEMI

Here are my RR 2.25 inch lifted pictures, with stock wheels and tires, and 1.25 inch 6061 spacers:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/269cb6e0.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_0976.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/0a4cdbaa.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/ba300d3e.jpg
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 04-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #40
zim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks great even with the stock tires for now. How much for the spacers?? Could you post a pick of the wheel and calipers close up
Unread 04-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #41
SYCOHEMI

I am thoroughly enjoying the new ride height. Feels very natural, like they way it should have been.

Spacers were $65 each. I bought a set of 4 from Fred.

I don't have any close up pics. I'll try to remember to take some when I put the new tires on. Having trouble deciding between the BFG/Bridgestone/Terra Grapplers. I don't do a ton of offroading, but we do go moderately hard when I do go. So, I am leaning toward BFG KO's...
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 04-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #42
zim
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had 265/70/R16's on a 2000 XJ and I loved them. They are pretty quiet on the road but have great on and off road traction for an AT. Besides they are a great classic looking tire.
Unread 04-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #43
SYCOHEMI

Wife says the BFG tread looks like a brain. She doesn't care what I buy, I just thought it was funny that she said that.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 04-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #44
kchecca

Looks great man. I like how the spacers get the wheel almost even with the fender. Or at least, it is with the 265's on it. I like that look. Even the most agressive tire looks silly if it's tucked way under the fender flare.

How long did it take the cut the spacers? Do they broach the holes for the lugs or just jam the splined lug bolt into the aluminum? Just my engineer curiosity....

-Keith
Unread 04-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #45
SYCOHEMI

Kchecca,

It definitely looks a lot better, with even the stock tire closer to the fender. I haven't had a chance to go get my larger tires yet.

It didn't take long at all to get the four spacers cut. I didn't watch the process, since the particular CNC machine they were using was in the far back of the shop. There's a lot of stuff in the shop. I just talked a bit with Fred G., and also met a guy there getting some nice spacers with lips cut for his nice red Audi A6 with 19 inch wheels.

Here is a pic I took with my cell phone of a stack of spacers at the shop:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/438e14fd.jpg

And a picture of my Commander awaiting the spacer, exciting, I know...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/Photo_04.jpg
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.