Stock Suspension Height - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Stock Suspension Height

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
kchecca

Stock Suspension Height

Hi all. The new toy is addicting and I am looking into everything (the few that exist) that is available.

I noticed that the CMDR sits low in the front, about 1" lower than the back. That's measured to the botom of the fender flares. Anyone else noticing this?

I am considering the lift options, specifically the Rocky Road, but I have not heard back from them if the lift "corrects" this or just goes 2.25" up on both ends.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

kchecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
INTREPER

I'm wondering what the ride will be like after a lift. I too am considering the lift just to fit some nicer looking wheels and tires.
Unread 01-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
kchecca

Fundamentally, the ride should be identical since this spaces above the springs. I have dont BB style lifts in my TJ's and I was happy. I figure worst case, I can pull it out. Plus, I am headed for a 265/65R17 tire, which is only 1-1.5" taller, so I should see little impact there, expect for improved looks. Time will prove me out. I will certainly post pics, etc...
Unread 02-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
kchecca

Lift Installed!!! Looks great.

So I finally got the lift from Rocky Road and installed it into the Commander yesterday. Quality was good from Rocky Road, just a little late on delivery since they had stocked out on rear spacers, though I was told they were in stock. So, overall OK.

Instructions were OK, though there were some relatively significant items left out. Of course, I am not sure what was variation for my specific truck. But, I tend to believe it was just stuff that was missed.

1. Make sure to remove the brake line clips both front and rear, they will limit droop and be stressed during the install.
2. Need to remove and re-route the ABS wires in the front, since they are stretched kinda tight after the lift.
3. Need to remove the coolant fluid box, not the washer fluid box, to reach the passenger side strut.
4. You will need a grinder/cut-off disk to remove the stock strut studs and provide clearance for the new bolts.
5. We found it impossible to bang the fork back up the strut, so we opened the gap to allow it to slip over the strut.
6. At reassembly, you need to place the lower fork bolt before tightening the upper 21mm bolt, or it will move out of alignment.

So, overall, it took us about 4-5 hours total in my garage, having an air gun, a floor jack, jack stands, and an angle grinder. About what we expected.

Total lift was just under 3.0" in the front and 2.25" in the rear. That was measured from wheel center to bottom of the fender. It helped reduce the pre-existing 1" lower front, but there is still a slight nose dive.

I was planning on putting some 265/65R17's on the stock wheels since I could get them almost new and cheap. I am sorta worried about clearance at the ball joint in the front. If I have to get into new wheels or spacers to solve this issue, I might start reviewing the options on 265/70R17 tires, which would be even taller.

Ride is fine, no difference really felt, but the posture is nice.

So, see here are the pics and I will certainly post more once I get the tire situation figured out.

Unread 02-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
bullaculla

Pics look good! please post more later when you get some taller tires!!!
Unread 02-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
zim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you get an alignment? Also I would like to see some straight on and from the rear pics. Thanks for posting I am looking into this lift myself
zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
INTREPER

Looks good. I can't wait for some reviews of it off road wise.
Unread 02-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
SYCOHEMI

Hurray! Someone finally went and did it! Congrats Kchecca and thanks for getting the write up and pics done so quickly for all of us. I am interested in the same lift kit. Looking forward to the tire update.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #9
SYCOHEMI

Anyone hear anything about Rusty's Offroad 2 inch lift kit?
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
TRCommander

Kchecca this may sound dumb but sometimes a lift doesn't look as big as it is or vice versa. In the picture the lift looks significant (it looks really good) but in person can you tell theres a significant difference? And now that you have installed this lift was it worth it or would you have liked to have waited for the 4" superlift? one last thing how much was this lift?

Gone but not forgotten!
2000 Wrangler Sahara w/3" Teraflex lift, DT3000 shocks, warn winch (which I still have, I'm not completly insane), Teraflex QD, 33'' Dunlop mudrovers and ORD rock rails.
TRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #11
kchecca

Wow, miss a day and tons of questions. To answer several:

I am putting the slightly larger 265/65R127's on tomorrow and getting an alignment as well. I expect the tires to look good, but not be the biggest or most agressive looking. I half expect to want larger tires, but I am hoping to avoid changing wheels or using spacers with this size.

I checked into the Rusty's kit just before I ordered this one. They use the same approach of metal spacer above the strut and poly spacer at the rear spring. Prices were really close ($205 no shocks for Rocky, $225 no shocks for Rusty). BUT, Rusty was still not ready to ship for a couple weeks, so I went with Rocky.

The truck does visually look taller and just overall better when you are just standing next to it. Would a non-jeep bystander notice, I am not sure. I really like how it leveled the thing, because I hated that look. Overall, it looks great just being taller even with the stock tires.

I was not interested in the size of the 4" lift, so I was not considering that. I dont want to deal with the gearing/speedo/ESP issues related to running 33's or something close. I have my TJ for that stuff. I just wanted a slightly taller stance and tire, and this kit delivered that perfectly. Easy install and cheap price. They should offer this like the Up Country kits from the factory.

Got some snow coming and I am headed to the Cape for the weekend, so the tire pics might not come until early next week.

Thanks all for being interested. *Insert tear drop here * I really like that I found this forum with folks that are smart and interested on this truck.
Unread 03-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
TRCommander

Hey I looked into the Rocky lift and I was wondering if you got the DT8000 shocks with and if you did how are they? I had DT shocks in my wrangler with a 3" teraflex lift and the ride was great so I was curious about your setup.

Gone but not forgotten!
2000 Wrangler Sahara w/3" Teraflex lift, DT3000 shocks, warn winch (which I still have, I'm not completly insane), Teraflex QD, 33'' Dunlop mudrovers and ORD rock rails.
TRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #13
SYCOHEMI

Since Kchecca quotes both Rusty and Rocky prices for "no shocks," I am guessing he probably went without the DT8000 option. But a great question, and I could be wrong. I am itching to get this kit now, it sounds perfect too. I think the 4 inch might be too much for me, since I still need to have the option to drive my wife and 2 year old around when I'm not offroading. I hope the 2 inch doesn't affect the DSC and other systems like we are hearing the 4 inch does, at least until they can properly recalibrate.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
SYCOHEMI

Looks like my local 4WheelParts dealer carries only Daystar, which looks like a 2 inch poly lift for all 4 corners.

Anyone know how this design compares to the Rocky or Rusty designs?

I will probably replace the rear shocks, with longer ones.

Just looking to fit more aggressive tires. Plan to do a Big Bear overnighter next month, so I want to get this done in the next few weeks.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 03-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
INTREPER

I'd stay clear from anything from 4 wheel parts. From my experience with the shop in Irvine, now in Laguna Hills, I wouldn't trust them with a radio flyer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.