Stillen Side Marker Covers Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Stillen Side Marker Covers Question

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Reply
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
seanmc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 42
Stillen Side Marker Covers Question

I have a quick question about the Stillen headlight side marker covers I just received in the mail. I am wondering if it is safe for me to just sand, prime, paint and install these myself. I am no means a paint/body work expert or very handy with mechanics like some of you on here but I can manage the minor DIY projects here and there. It comes with directions on how to install, just have to remove the grille, that's pretty simple right? I don't really want to bring it to a shop and pay for something if I don't have to. My WK is black, when buying the primer and paint, is it safe to go with the color match chrysler spray paint at my local auto parts store? I tried searching the topic but couldn't find an answer, If anyone has done this before or has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys, I just got this car this week and have done some minor mods, and will post some pictures soon!

__________________
Black 2008 WK | 3.7L | QTI | More mods to come...
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
super_SINGH
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 22
I have my stillen painted and primed universal black by Duplicolor. I have a white 06 wk though but if you want color match, paint them Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep black. I did 2 coats primer and 4 coats paint -NO clearcoat fro me because I didn't want it shiny, but you might have to use clearcoat because I think your black Jeep might have clearcoat.

I also cut my side markers like the AVS headlight covers and I also have no experience doing it and you can see I messed up on one side with a ****ty saw that I got free from Harbor Freight Tools.

ONLY pic I have for now
imag1100.jpg  
super_SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
super_SINGH
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 22
ALSO I installed mine twice now, once unpainted (as the pic above) and a second time after I painted and primed them. They were super easy to install & uninstall (you don't really even have to remove the grille, just bend it, but it's easy to remove anyways). The tape preinstalled on those is strong yet easy to remove and when i reapplied mine I just added some 3M tape (strength rating 2) where the old red tape was. I haven't installed them the second time yet (paints still drying) but I will upload pics when I do.
super_SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
cherrybomb05
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,078
I would suggest getting it painted. It needs a special type of paint due to the material it's made out of. That's what I learned anyway
__________________
07 WK
10 JKUR
11 JKR
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
hxdrummerxc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 458
I was under the impression that these wouldn't fit the 2008+ models because the slight headlight style variation. These have a flat bottom like the 2005-2007. As where out 2008+ bumper isn't flat to conform to the cover.

Can anyone confirm that they do in fact fit on 2008 or newer models?
__________________
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
super_SINGH
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
I was under the impression that these wouldn't fit the 2008+ models because the slight headlight style variation. These have a flat bottom like the 2005-2007. As where out 2008+ bumper isn't flat to conform to the cover.

Can anyone confirm that they do in fact fit on 2008 or newer models?
Just checked with stillen. These headlights covers only fit the jeep grand Cherokee model years 2005-2007. So they most likely will not fit on an 08. I haven't tried personally though,.if the design is only a little different from the 05-07 then you could probably mod them if you really wanted to.
super_SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
hxdrummerxc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_SINGH View Post
Just checked with stillen. These headlights covers only fit the jeep grand Cherokee model years 2005-2007. So they most likely will not fit on an 08. I haven't tried personally though,.if the design is only a little different from the 05-07 then you could probably mod them if you really wanted to.
Thanks for confirming that

The OP seanmc said he received his in the mail already but in his signature it says that he has a 2008. Looks like you might need to send them back or mod them to try and fit.
__________________
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
seanmc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Thanks for confirming that

The OP seanmc said he received his in the mail already but in his signature it says that he has a 2008. Looks like you might need to send them back or mod them to try and fit.
They make them for both 2005-2007 as well as 2008-2010.

http://www.stillen.com/product/light...98gltk9storoi4
__________________
Black 2008 WK | 3.7L | QTI | More mods to come...
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
super_SINGH
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmc View Post

They make them for both 2005-2007 as well as 2008-2010.

http://www.stillen.com/product/light...98gltk9storoi4
Those look like s diff design though, can you post a pic of them in the same position mine are in the pic above ?
super_SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
seanmc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_SINGH View Post
Those look like s diff design though, can you post a pic of them in the same position mine are in the pic above ?
Yeah they are smaller, the same on the side where the reflector would be but then they cut off where it ends. Doesn't have the whole bottom part, I'm guessing because the bumper/headlight is different than previous year models. It just covers the side marker reflector not the bottom of the headlight. Will post pictures tomorrow if I can figure it out lol, probly going to attempt to paint/install myself.
__________________
Black 2008 WK | 3.7L | QTI | More mods to come...
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
super_SINGH
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 22
Make sure to give them sufficient time to dry, and use some clear coat to match your factory colors because they will be taking a lot of dirt and bugs and will scratch easily otherwise
super_SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
seanmc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 42
Thanks for the advice I'll update this thread while I'm doing it.
__________________
Black 2008 WK | 3.7L | QTI | More mods to come...
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
seanmc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 42
Well I can't find the "acrylic" based primer Stillen recommends to use, so it looks like I have to take it to an auto body and paint shop. How much should it be to paint these small things?
__________________
Black 2008 WK | 3.7L | QTI | More mods to come...
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
super_SINGH
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmc View Post
Well I can't find the "acrylic" based primer Stillen recommends to use, so it looks like I have to take it to an auto body and paint shop. How much should it be to paint these small things?
honestly man you do not need to take it to a Paint and Body Shop just sand it down real good then Prime it with a couple coats and paint add with a couple codes and then put some clear coat over it and you'll be good to go.
don't waste money, spray paint cans(primer,paint,clearcoat) and sheet of sand paper isn't going to be over $20. And takes no time at all since they're so small. Most of the time is spent waiting between coats.

I've never painted in my life before, but I manage to do it just look it up online, watch videos if you need but do it YOURSELF!
super_SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
seanmc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_SINGH View Post
honestly man you do not need to take it to a Paint and Body Shop just sand it down real good then Prime it with a couple coats and paint add with a couple codes and then put some clear coat over it and you'll be good to go.
don't waste money, spray paint cans(primer,paint,clearcoat) and sheet of sand paper isn't going to be over $20. And takes no time at all since they're so small. Most of the time is spent waiting between coats.

I've never painted in my life before, but I manage to do it just look it up online, watch videos if you need but do it YOURSELF!
Yeah that's what I wanna do but is alright to just use regular paint primer? Is that what you used and it was okay. What grit sand paper did you use before and after priming it?
__________________
Black 2008 WK | 3.7L | QTI | More mods to come...
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.