Stillen review at 10K - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Stillen review at 10K

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 12-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Fast55
2010 WK 

Stillen review at 10K

At 90K, I ordered a complete set of Stillens from Nick. All was well for the first thousand mikes or so, then I start getting this chirping or "tweet" from the driver's front at any speed until you're down to 10 mph and quiet from there to a complete stop. It drove me crazy for a couple months and Nick suggested pulling things apart and cleaning everything. I did that and nothing. I even asked if he'd ship me another set of pads or something. Nope, the suggestion was I take it all apart again, and sand the pads. Degreased the rotor, hit the pads with 320 and,,,,,,,,probably made it worse.

After that, I never heard back from Nick.

This past week I tried the last thing I could think of and bought another set of pads similar to OEM replacements. No improvement. All that is left is to replace these spendy front rotors with something else.

I sent Stillen an e-mail, no response. Picking up the phone I noticed 2 things:

1. They don't even answer their 800 number. It rang 15+ times, no answering machine.
2. After calling the 714 number and letting it ring at least 10 times, a guy who sounded annoyed picked up the phone and basically told me they have never heard of Kolak Off Road and they can't (or won't) help me.

Now before someone helpfully chimes in with the "drilled rotors suck" line, be sure to tell Porsche and AMG that the next time they build a car with them. My guess is Stillen doesn't supply rotors to either of them.

Fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Have you tried some Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the pads? That usually works for me! Are the pads chamfered? If not, that might help as well.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

That is unfortunate. Has changing the rotors fixed the problem?

I am not much of a fan of drilled rotors myself.

The noise is not bearing related? Is for certain the brakes?
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Fast55
2010 WK 

There is no other noise at any time other than when the brakes are applied, and no vibration. It seems to be isolated to the driver's side, but I can't see any issues with wear or discoloration from either rotor.

The rears look the same and make no noise that I can hear. The vibration from the old front rotors is gone, but I do not see any noticeable increase or decrease in performance over the stock brakes beyond that. I also just flushed the brake system, not that I expected that to change anything. The Stillen pads were chamfered like stock as are the new auto parts specials I just I installed. These are a little smoother stopping and yes, they came with "silencer" for the backs of the pads that I used. Drilled rotors are stock on my E55 and no issues. I even put them on the Avalon when Toyota said the rotors weren't "warranty".

Obviously the noise sucks but I'm sure the brakes are OK, no worries on driving it. I know there are a lot of people who have bought these and are very satisfied but sometimes I guess you get this. FWIW.
Unread 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I've had brake pads with the silencing pads on the backs still make noise. Some brake quiet worked for me.
I've used drilled/slotted rotors on my car and my truck for a combined 130,000 miles with no problems. Not sure where the hate here comes from.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Kolak
Vendor

There's nothing intrinsic about drilled rotors vs plain undrilled rotors that would cause the kind of "chirp" you're talking about.

They could be glazed - not sure what process you used to deglaze them. You mentioned "degreased" in your post. What does that mean precisely?

Have you considered that this could be a caliper issue? If one caliper is hanging up upon release, they can make noise.

If you lightly apply the brakes while you're hearing the noise, does it stop?
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
I've had brake pads with the silencing pads on the backs still make noise. Some brake quiet worked for me.
I've used drilled/slotted rotors on my car and my truck for a combined 130,000 miles with no problems. Not sure where the hate here comes from.
I don't know anything about the 'hate,' I just don't buy in to drilled rotors personally.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

got 40k on my stillen roters and brake pads and they are starting to get a little rough. Drilled roters can be quited down by running a burr grinder on both sides of the roters. They will build up with brake pad over time and cause chirping noises and some brake vibration.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Kolak
Vendor

That's something else I was going to mention to the OP. Examine the holes to see if anything is caught up in any of them.

This sounds like more of a continual noise though, even when brakes are not applied. I suspect caliper or runout issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteelJP View Post
got 40k on my stillen roters and brake pads and they are starting to get a little rough. Drilled roters can be quited down by running a burr grinder on both sides of the roters. They will build up with brake pad over time and cause chirping noises and some brake vibration.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Fast55
2010 WK 

Everything is perfectly quiet until you hit the brakes. A little or lot doesn't matter, you immediately get the chirp or whistle that sounds nothing like traditional brake squeal. There is no pull, no vibration. It follows the speed of the truck down to about 10 mph then is quiet down to a complete stop. There is no indication that the caliper is hanging. No abnormal wear, no discoloration, no problem with actual performance. I'm not aware of anything that will "deglaze" a rotor besides turning it, but since they're drilled, that's not happening. I've heard you can try sanding them, but I'd guess it's nearly impossible to take a perfectly even layer of anything off the rotor by hand. I used regular brake cleaner to clean and degrease them every time I've had it apart. There is no obvious difference between that rotor and the other 3.
Unread 12-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
JRLT
2010 WK 

I've had mine on (Stillens) for 52,000+ miles so far and haven't had a single issue.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Sounds more like a bearing issue, which you say it's not.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
Fast55
2010 WK 

Bearings don't make noise only when you hit the brakes and stop when you let off. They also don't go bad while you're swapping old brakes for new. I looked at every bushing, ball joints, everything, while I had it apart to put in the Bilstein 5100's a couple months after it started. Other than the stock shocks/struts being trashed, everything was/is still looking good and tight at 100K. Until I bought it, it had never been off road, just a commuter. The local shop that did my exhaust manifold leak fix agrees that there is no obvious mechanical problem, just a noisy brake that they would be happy to fix by selling me another set of pads/rotors.
Unread 12-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Do you still have your OEM rotors? Have you tried swapping the fronts back on temporarily to see if the sound goes away? You said you swapped pads, but not rotors?

I've been running Stillen rotors on mine for nearly 80k miles on this Jeep without issue. They have been great and I've very much enjoyed them, so I hope you can figure this issue resolved and get back to enjoying your Jeep.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
Fast55
2010 WK 

No, they were pretty worn with a big lip at the edge but I didn't measure them. The pads had maybe 25-30% left but I had the vibration and pulsing and really just wanted to make everything new again. It's annoying, but everything seems to work like it should. With the windows or radio up, you don't even hear it. I'm just happy the rears seem to be fine since the stock pads were still at 50% and the rotors were hardly worn. Probably should have kept those...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.