Steering wheel vibration at all speeds on '06 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Steering wheel vibration at all speeds on '06 Grand Cherokee

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Zelzuk53
2006 WK 

Steering wheel vibration at all speeds on '06 Grand Cherokee

My steering wheel is shaking/vibrating on my 2006 jeep grand cherokee 4.7 V8. Normally I would assume that this was the alignment and balancing of the tires, but it happens at most all speeds and I'm feeling it in the gas and brake pedals some as well. I had my wheels aligned and tires balanced a month ago and it fixed the issues I was having then, but a few weeks later this started. My mechanic had it a few days ago to see if he could diagnose another problem and he chalked it up to it just being a jeep. He said they generally ride rough, but I don't know about everyone else but my grand cherokee has always driven pretty smoothly. Yeah I can feel the road a bit more than most cars but not like this.

I'm also having some trouble with my RPMs being erratic and idling issues, but that could be an entirely different problem.
Suggestions?

Zelzuk53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Could be a driveline issue
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Rotate your tires front to rear and see if it changes at all, and/or if you still feel it as pronounced in the steering wheel.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008
Could be a driveline issue
X2, check your drive shafts and see if there is any play in them.
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

Possibly a warped rotor, belt broken in tire or a weight may have come off since last balancing.
jeepsrgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Zelzuk53
2006 WK 

I'm not sure if this helps , but anytime I have my foot on the gas I hear this whirring/humming sound. I want to say it's coming from the drivers side. As soon as I let off it stops. I've been getting lots of vibration and shaking when breaking from higher speeds too. You can feel it in the pedals, steering wheel, and on the floorboard. I'm worried that there may be a transfer case issue now too. It's been extremely sluggish for two days. It'll be working to accelerate and then it'll lunge forward for a second and throw me back. It just seems like it's working way too hard for what power I'm getting. Of course it's worst at startup. I've been doing a lot of work to it lately and I'm starting to get frustrated with it. I hate to give up on it because I've given it so much tlc and put a good amount of money into replacement parts and improvements.

What do I check first and how do I go about it?
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

I can't address all of your questions/issues, but vibrating in pedals and steering wheel when braking from high speeds is a sure sign of warped rotors. Depending on how many miles you have on the rotors you may be able to find a place that will turn them. If not, rockauto.com has good prices on rotors. Do the pads while you're at it. Most likely the front is the problem...
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
eajones_01WJ
2001 WJ 

this is an odd response but i had a friend with the exact same problem and he had gone out trailing the night before. he drove it like that for a few days and then finely realized that there was a hardened and hard to see chunk of mud and rocks on the inside of his front right tire. sorta funny but he chiseled it off and it solved his problems. and i dont know why you would feel warped brake rotors when your not braking. ive had 2 vehicles with really bad warped rotors on the front and never felt them until i braked and then the steering wheel shook and brake pedal pulsed.
eajones_01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Zelzuk53
2006 WK 

I have not been mudding or trailing recently, but this all DID seem to happen overnight. I checked under the car this morning and there was some sort of puddle on the passengers side. Not sure what I could be leaking. My car did the same thing this morning where it almost seemed stuck in a low gear for about 10 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.