Steering wheel jerk/pothole hop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Steering wheel jerk/pothole hop

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
shortysmash
2007 WK 

Steering wheel jerk/pothole hop

I have an 07 leredo w/ 93k. When im driving around town or on the highway and going anyway other than dead straight and hit a bump or pothole the steering wheel jerks and cause me to swerve. Once time it happened that it made me almost swerve into the tractor trailer beside me and about made me pinch a hole in the seat. However if I let go of the wheel it tracks straight no wander. any ideas or anyone else have this happen.

shortysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Worn out struts possibly
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
5tidezfans
2006 WK 

my wife has been driving my 06 limited alot the last two weeks and claims when she hits a pothole/manhole cover that it jumps/darts alot. Haven't really noticed it myself but i usually on drive it on weekends, hasn't stopped her from driving it either over her car! Mine has 89K and will be getting Bilsteins in a month or so anyway!
5tidezfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysmash View Post
I have an 07 leredo w/ 93k. When im driving around town or on the highway and going anyway other than dead straight and hit a bump or pothole the steering wheel jerks and cause me to swerve. Once time it happened that it made me almost swerve into the tractor trailer beside me and about made me pinch a hole in the seat. However if I let go of the wheel it tracks straight no wander. any ideas or anyone else have this happen.
I would say that's definitely the struts .That's what mine were doing before i got the bilsteins .They looose the ability to rebound quickly enough on the short jarring bumps which makes the steering wheel jittery and make's you want to compensate .It will turn the vehicle when it happens while turning a corner .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
crewstopher
2005 WK 

I noticed this same condition with my 05 WK recently, kinda nerve racking on the highway. I thought it was because I had just put on some new 32's. But when I push down on the front bumper I can see the front end oscillate a little more than I would expect. I'm debating to replace the struts or to just spring for an OME lift.
crewstopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.