Steering Wheel | Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2005 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Steering Wheel | Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2005

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
AbstractBlind

Steering Wheel | Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2005

Hello there:

I am new to these forums. I am in the need of help on figuring out what seems to be the problem I am having and with this find the best possible solution.

This is my story.

The steering wheel was horrible looking, so I decided to paint it. I wrapped the whole area with plastic and masking tape to protect the areas that was not to be painted. It came up great, but at the time of removal of the plastic, I was attacked by a few bees. In an attempt to move my care to another location far from the colony, I drove with the plastic wraps but at a turn, the plastic got tangled where the steering wheel meets the non moving part.

Soon after removing the plastic, all features that gets controlled from the wheel no longer works. These are the problems:

1- Horn no longer works
2- Radio and audio controls no longer work
3- Cruise control no longer work
4- U-connect (uses the same buttons as the radio/audio) no longer works.
5- Permanent airbag light problem in the dash board.

Have been reading a lot about, and every time I come across something called "clock spring", which scared me a lot because it cost around $800 bucks (I called the dealer to inquire).

I don't much about cars, so I am dependent on the advice of mechanics and dealers, which, they do not come across trustworthy. Before jumping blindly, I would like to know more about what is going on and a possible cost effective solution.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced!

P.S. I am a Jeep fan, this is my third.

AbstractBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Budasac
2005 WK 

Welcome to the forum.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but, sounds like the clock spring.

The clock spring allows you to turn your steering wheel while maintaining the electrical connections. You may have simply got plastic stuck between the discs. Haven't had a reason to disassemble mine but if you look into it be sure to disconnect the battery so you don't accidentally eat an airbag.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I hate to say it but I'm thinking the clock spring would be the culprit. The clock spring is located in the steering column and allows the steering wheel to be turned while keeping a electrical connection to all the electronices inside the steering wheel. If it gets damaged then you wont have any source of power going to the electronics inside the steering wheel making them not work.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
AbstractBlind

Thank you guys. I was counting on my ignorance in the hope for the issue to be something else, although it indeed pointed to the clock spring. Now, the question is, is the clock spring a ONE single part, or is a series of different individual components? If there are various individual parts, I still have the chance of not buying the whole thing. Please let me know, and once again, thanks!
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Budasac
2005 WK 

I edited my last post.
If you are handy and planning on changing the clock spring yourself I would first go in and see if there is plastic that got jambed in there. If it's not damaged you may be able to save it.

Again, be sure to disco the battery.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I looked on Moparpartsamerica and was only able to find the clock spring whole which included the airbag and all but was somewhere around $500+. Honestly im not quite sure if the clock spring is Non-Servicable or not. Hopefully someone can chime in and give a better response!
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
AbstractBlind

I took it to the ONLY mechanic I trust but he does not service Jeeps except for few basic stuff. He dissemble the steering wheel and there was not plastic residual. My first guess was that, by pulling the tangled plastic, I might have disconnected something, but everything was in place.

Here is another (perhaps dumb) question. If I am to guess that many of this things are "regulated" by a computer, and the computer works with programming, perhaps it has "crashed" and all it need is a "reboot" or "restart". If so, I am to assume there is no "reset button", but perhaps disconnecting the battery could do the trick?

Pardon my ignorance, as I said before, I am not knowledgeable with cars. Thanks again!
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
HEMI35
2007 WK 

if you disconnect the negative for 5 minutes it will reboot.
I did that, worked on the jeep for a long time (I´m sure that 10 or 30 minutes would have the same effect), and when I connected it back, my radio turned on by itself, a CD started to sound and stop every 2 seconds, then all the lights on the cluster (near the speedometer) got on for half a minute to a minute (airbag, 4Lo, engine, ALL!!!). And when I was almost calling my mechanic, I put the key turned on and everything came back to normal.
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
AbstractBlind

Thanks HEMI35. I spent quite some time, and it seems there is no work around, I need to buy the entire clock spring system. I will try the reboot, I think there is no harm and might be worth the try.

Thank you all for your inputs!

Kind regards.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.