Steering wheel finish and color is wearing off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Steering wheel finish and color is wearing off.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Steering wheel finish and color is wearing off.

The grey finish is wearing off on my 05 Limited's steering wheel, as is the textured/grain at the 12 o'clock position.

Anyone else have this? Fixable with a recover or dying?

The WK has 90k miles on it now. Wife drove it that last 30k miles so not sure what happened. She also cracked seat bottom from being little and sliding into the Jeep.

Unread 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

seat can be fixed at a dealership. I havent found a fix for the wheel yet. A new one is $$$$$$$$$
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK View Post
seat can be fixed at a dealership. I havent found a fix for the wheel yet. A new one is $$$$$$$$$
Yeah, I will go to a local upholstery shop to get a quote on replacing seat edge with real leather. I don't think a re-wrap of the wheel will look good.
Unread 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

I know that some guys have wrapped their steering wheels with 550 cord. It looked really good when I saw it.
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

I took my time with a wheelskins, it came out great....and i normally HATE wheel covers. Did this because my 10 o'clock position was flaking off really bad

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ll=1#post31628

Unread 02-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
I know that some guys have wrapped their steering wheels with 550 cord. It looked really good when I saw it.
Pics or it didnt happen!
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
S197GT
2005 WK 

the steering wheel on our used 05 grand cherokee was covered in some kind of nasty grime. i put a $10 black cover on it for now but i will soon be trying this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=681976

(mr. clean magic eraser)

there are some naysayers when it comes to the magic eraser... well, i see a lot of photos of clean steering wheels and i have yet to see ONE of any damaged steering wheels.
S197GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

That looks awesome, I never thought that would work
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197GT View Post
the steering wheel on our used 05 grand cherokee was covered in some kind of nasty grime. i put a $10 black cover on it for now but i will soon be trying this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=681976

(mr. clean magic eraser)

there are some naysayers when it comes to the magic eraser... well, i see a lot of photos of clean steering wheels and i have yet to see ONE of any damaged steering wheels.
I think my gray pigment is actually wearing off and revealing the black underneath. Last time I tried cleaning it I think it pulled more gray off.
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Wow, Im going to try that magic eraser. My hands are always so sweaty and it is so worn out where I always hold it.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
gamma500
2005 WK 

Same problem with mine..my wife's Jeep essentially and she's a hand cream fanatic which I believe helps break down the color faster. Tried a wheelskin..thought it was pretty expensive for what I ended up with, not a big fan of the lacing look. Ended up with one from eBay which pops on very snugly and I think looks pretty decent. I have tried leather color dyes on other cars and those with "painted" on color don't take to it well..OK for small areas but a whole steering wheel rim would look uneven, different color tones. The dyes work alot better on the vat dyed leather that the Brits are so fond of.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Universa...404027&vxp=mtr
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
The grey finish is wearing off on my 05 Limited's steering wheel, as is the textured/grain at the 12 o'clock position.

Anyone else have this? Fixable with a recover or dying?...
Had mine repaired with a sub who works at the dealer's lot by appt. He did an area from 6 o'clock to 8 o'clock in 20 minutes (including drying time) for $40. Couldn't tell where it was fixed.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
jsice78
2006 WK 

My steering wheel and driver seat dont look the greatest If I had the money I would have this guy redo them.

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/upho...have-done.html
jsice78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Just tried the Mr clean trick and stopped after two minutes. It made my stearing wheel look much worse.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
S197GT
2005 WK 

Sorry.

I will be trying it with mine later today and will take pics.
S197GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.