Steering wheel feels loose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Steering wheel feels loose

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Cgonzalez
2005 WK 

Steering wheel feels loose

Steering wheel feels loose and it make like a clunk noise inside of the steering wheel at speeds over 50 mph when hitting bumps not sure what it is. Also i can wiggle the steering wheel back and forth about 3/4 of an inch, without any movement from wheels is this ok? Just concerned about it. Thanks for your help.

5.7L Hemi
Cgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Barton47

Loose steering

Mine commander does the same thing. Was a dealer for recall work and had them look into steering said they found nothing wrong.
Barton47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
darot

Look for my posts on this, also on jeepsunlimted.com (which seems to be hardly used now)

1) check your tie rod ends and A arms

2) option to tighten the rack up, like the old gear box adjustment. This does take play out somewhat.

3) what I did, replace A arms, tie rod ends, rack and control arms.... what a mess at 150 K
darot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.