Steering Control Module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Steering Control Module

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
gingersnap05
2005 WK 

Steering Control Module

About a month ago, I was having problems with a dead battery almost every week. I could charge it completely on a Sunday and in about 6 or 7 days, the battery would be dead. I brought it to the dealer ship and they told me that my steering control module was essentially shorting itself out. Well, being a college student, I didn't and still don't have the money for the 600$ part, so my dad and grandpa rigged up a toggle switch to cut the power to the control module so my battery wouldn't die. The last 2 weeks or so, my Jeep has been really acting up. The tranny seems to lag when shifting, and when shifting into reverse and drive, it'll lurch forward quite suddenly when letting off the brake. Last weekend, my front passenger door window won't go down when using that control switch. The switch will put the window up, but not down. And finally, last night on my way home from work (a 20 mile drive), she really started to irritate me. I stopped, let off the brake and pushed on the gas....and nothing. She rolled forward for about 5 seconds until something finally "caught" and then she worked just fine. But then I noticed my speedometer wasn't working properly. It seemed to not be able to keep up with what my speed was when speeding up and slowing down. I guess I was wondering if these problems were related to the steering control module, or possibly to the toggle switch.

**The toggle switch is NOT a permanent solution! Just a temporary fix my dad thought up to keep my battery charged until he and I can find a new control module.

**I apologize for the lengthy post! But thanks in advance for any help and/or advice you can give me!!

gingersnap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

How old is the battery? I just replaced my OE battery a month or two ago because it was slowly going dead. My charging system is good, but it couldn't save the battery. Similar symptom as you, I could charge it and it'd be good for a little while then go sluggish again. Kept getting worse so I replaced it.

What does this steering control module do? I've never heard of it.

Vehicle computer systems are very complex now-a-days and cutting the power to part of the system every day could be causing a memory issue or it could be introducing resistance to the circuit that is causing problems.

Personally, I'd bypass the switch for a while and see if those problems go away and think about a new battery. Warning, batteries for these things are NOT cheap. Retail was $185 on the one I bought. Find what you want, search for online discount codes and buy it online then pick up. I used www.advanceauto.com and code TRT30 (30%). Not sure if they have those stores in Iowa or not.
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
gingersnap05
2005 WK 

I just replaced the battery about a month and a half ago, so it's pretty much brand new. Changing the battery didn't help or fix the battery drain problem, hence why I brought it to the dealership.

You know, I'm not exactly sure. The dealership never told me. BUt when I would get home and cut the power to the module, all the interior lights go off, the dash gauges won't work, seems to be little things like that. So maybe it's not the actual control modul, but maybe something that runs off that is shorting it out and is an easier fix.

I put the original fuse back in this morning and I'm going to see if that helps with the lagging tranny and other problems that have come up since putting the toggle switch in.
gingersnap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
What does this steering control module do? I've never heard of it.
Everything attached to the steering column—and then some—runs through it. Wheel switches, ignition switch, horn, multifunction switch, all the lights, the wipers, the rain sensor, the driver's airbag, the steering angle sensor (which is used by the traction and stability control programs)... And that's just the stuff it handles directly.

If it's bad, it really needs to be replaced. It's directly connected to the CANBUS, too, meaning you really really want to replace a failed one.
Unread 08-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
ausra

Ya adding to what Collinzj said, putting a toggle switch inline on a canbus network is bad. I would get the toggle switch removed ASAP and solder the wires back together. Tons of stuff on these jeeps operate over the canbus network and having a toggle switch inline is probably making the jeep very angry..
ausra is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.