Steam and Bubbles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Steam and Bubbles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Hunterdad
2005 WK 

Steam and Bubbles

Last Sunday, my '05 3.7L started to overheat when ever I wasnt on the gas. At idle it would start to heat up and if just coasting along. Once I revved it up, the temp gauge would drop. Took it into my mechanic, they flushed out the coolant system and did a pressure test. He said my coolant level was low in the radiator and thats what was causing the overheating.

On Wednesday I started it up via remote start before I left the office. When I got outside there was a ton of smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust. A guy I work with was already standing next to it and said that it looked like steam. I tried to smell it and didn't smell any collant and there was also water dripping out of the tail pipe. I figured I'd get in a drive it to see what happened. Drove it for a few minutes, the steam stopped and it never overheated.

I got home, popped open the hood and you could see inside the coolant reservoir bubbling from where the hose goes into the rediator. There wasn't any hissing noises or anything else. Started it up this morning and there was more steam, but not even near the amount there was wednesday. There was also water coming out of the tailpipe as well.

Its not overheating or acting strange other than the steam and bubbling. It does have a small exhaust leak, so Im not sure if moisture would be getting into the exhaust that way causing the steam. Anyone know what could be causing this?
Thoi trang nu Quan ao tre em hang hieu Quan ao so sinh gia re Chup anh san pham tai ha noi Quan ao nam han quoc http://trangbanbuon.com/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/ http://trangbanbuon.vn/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/
Thanks
Adam

Unread 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Steam from exhaust is normal, so is the water dripping. (You'll notice the steam in the cooler temps more than warmer summer temps )

If the coolant is bubbling into the reservoir, your radiator cap could be bad

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Victor9
2006 WK 

I had the same problem, and it turned out that my water pump needed to be replaced.
Victor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Nejeep

Start with the easy/cheap things first. Top off the coolant in the radiator and replace the cap. Bad cap may not allow coolant to travel back into the engine and radiator when it cools down.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.