At the Stealership now...... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
JPK
2005 WK 

Yes, I only had one key, wife lost her set, thus the story. I told the service guy I just wanted one of the new keys programmed, I would program the second new key keeping my original key as a spare in case of another lost key. That's when he told me I couldn't program the second key, the dealership has to program the keys. After a couple more words I just said to myself screw it, not going to argue with the guy. On the bill though, they didn't break down the cost of the individual keys, the programing or the cutting. He just lumped it into one total price and added a ten dollar "misc." charge to the new keys combined charge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Bottom line here is always maintain three keys for your vehicles that have an OBP capability. Therefore if you lost one of the three you can swing by a locksmith or order a new one online and your set.

You paid a lot which sucks but oh well, you have three keys and that's that.

Dodge Dakota R/T 360ci Small-block _sold_
Jeep GC 5.7L Hemi- Magnaflow Cat-Back, BT Catch Can, 20" Gloss black SRT Reps
275/45R20 Nexen Roadian, Blacked out, 180 Stat _SOLD_
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
post #18 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
JPK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
Bottom line here is always maintain three keys for your vehicles that have an OBP capability. Therefore if you lost one of the three you can swing by a locksmith or order a new one online and your set.

You paid a lot which sucks but oh well, you have three keys and that's that.
I have three now. Not long before my wife lost her key I thought to myself I need to get a third key to program just in case. I never did and paid the price. I suppose it is a word to the wise.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I have three now. Not long before my wife lost her key I thought to myself I need to get a third key to program just in case. I never did and paid the price. I suppose it is a word to the wise.
You should try some makes like Volvo or BMW,it can cost as much as $500 per key.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #20 of 23 Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
JPK
2005 WK 

Well key issues again. A year and a half ago I purchased two NEW keys from the dealership as stated at the beginning of this post. Now one, for no reason, has quit working. I tried replacing the battery, no go on reprogramming it. I do have a second key, it is the first key that works fine along with one of the new keys that I bought a year and a half ago. Do these things just fail for no reason?

Went back out to try one more time and the reply on the vic said a defective key. I'm hoping the two keys I bought off Amazon, I will be able to get them cut. Sounds like some have had problems finding a locksmith that can or will do it. I'm real paranoid about these newer keys and the having to reprogram them, etc.. Not like my XJ where I can get a key made anywhere.
post #21 of 23 Old 12-24-2015, 02:26 PM
hansh
1966 CJ5 

Just bought two keys from ebay store last week, had them cut at the local hardware store, and programmed them myself. The programming for the transponder/immobilizer chip was easy. I had to mess around a little to get the new remote part to work. Total cost for two keys was less than $60. These were for a 2007 WK CRD. You can do it yourself, it is pretty easy.

Regarding the key not working, when I was looking for programming info, I found some info about some bad internal electrical connections on some fobs, may be related...

On another note, The dealer told me I would not be able to program myself.

2007 WK V6 CRD
1993 Diesel ZJ
1986 CJ7 I6; 1967 Jeepster V6; 1966 CJ5 V6
post #22 of 23 Old 12-24-2015, 08:32 PM
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansh View Post
Regarding the key not working, when I was looking for programming info, I found some info about some bad internal electrical connections on some fobs, may be related...

On another note, The dealer told me I would not be able to program myself.
I've also heard about bad connections, cold solder joints, etc. in some of the fobs. If you have a small soldering gun, you may want to take it apart and just touch the hot gun to each connection. Check it out first though with a good magnifier and you may be able to see the problem.

So many stealers are rips and don't know their arse from a hot rock. They just hope you don't know anything about these things and they can sell you a bill of goods. I won't go near a stealer unless I absolutely have to. Consequently, I've never had any problems with my WK. I dread having to take my LX into them too.....have to get the air bag inflator replaced. I'll keep an eye on them though to make sure they don't screw anything up in the process.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #23 of 23 Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Montreal300

The connection that fails is one of the three solder points that holds the battery in place. Look at the point where the clip and circuit board meets and move the clip a bit.
The fob should still work the ignition even with the battery removed. If it doesn't, it's not the circuit board that's the problem, it's the embedded chip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.