JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   At the Stealership now...... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/stealership-now-1562599/)

JPK 08-15-2013 08:22 AM

At the Stealership now......

Getting two keys made for my 05 WK. $370.00 plus tax. What a ****ing rip. It is theft just if some stuck a gun in you ribs at stole your wallet. I hate stealers. Last time. Most of the time their service departments haven't a clue as to what's wrong with your vehicle. Service mgr told me I couldn't program my third key myself while it states you can in the manual. Lying ****. I'm gonna copy and email him the section of the manual that tells you how.

yzjwk 08-15-2013 10:00 AM

Your lucky you don't live in Canada . Last i checked those keys were $230 for the key $10 to cut and $60 for programming .. EACH . Some dealerships wanted 80 for programming . 15 min to program , that's $320 /hr .
That's why it's worth it to try and get an Ebay key for $25 .You can also buy transponder only keys from Quadratec for $20 so you will always have enough to program yourself . I would demand my money back for the 3rd programming .

RB145 08-15-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPK (Post 15796966)
Getting two keys made for my 05 WK. $370.00 plus tax. What a ****ing rip. It is theft just if some stuck a gun in you ribs at stole your wallet. I hate stealers. Last time. Most of the time their service departments haven't a clue as to what's wrong with your vehicle. Service mgr told me I couldn't program my third key myself while it states you can in the manual. Lying ****. I'm gonna copy and email him the section of the manual that tells you how.

That's not a bad price for 2 keys if its the same fobs that are used on the 08 models. I don't remember what the 05's had. I paid 212 for one key on my 08. So sounds like you got a good deal you should be very happy.

tjkj2002 08-15-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPK (Post 15796966)

It's supposed to be a pain in the rear and costly to make these new transponder key's.Helps keep the theft of vehicles down.

Xmind 08-15-2013 10:22 AM

I bought new keys off of ebay for ~$60 each. I got them programmed at the dealership for $40 each and got the keys cut locally for $5 each. So about $210 total for 2 new keys. If you already have 2 keys, you can do the programming on a 3rd key without going to the dealership.

JPK 08-15-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xmind (Post 15797349)
I bought new keys off of ebay for ~$60 each. I got them programmed at the dealership for $40 each and got the keys cut locally for $5 each. So about $210 total for 2 new keys. If you already have 2 keys, you can do the programming on a 3rd key without going to the dealership.

The service tech told me I couldn't program the third key myself. I told him it says I can in the manual. He still told me I couldn't. Not wanting to get into a bunch of **** I just said fine, whatever. He then said he would just charge me once but program both keys. To be honest, this "visit" to the stealership was really one of the worst experiences I've ever had with one. Yesterday I took the WK to get the LR wheel speed sensor replaced. They said they would have the part because they ordered it the day before. Needed to get a recall item taken care of as well. Drove 30 miles to the dealer, they performed the recall service then told me the part hadn't come in. Drove home, called this am to make sure they had the part then drove back out. Decided just screw it, I was tired of dealing with the crap of trying to get the keys less expensively and just had them cut and program two keys so I now have three. But....the connection with Chrysler was down and they couldn't program the keys for two and a half hours. Had to sit and wait. Total to replace the sensor and the keys was $570.00. I checked Auto Zone, they had the sensor for $12.00. I am never going to another dealership again. With the kind of money they charge you'd think they could spend a little money to fix the place up. It was pretty trashy looking for a dealership. Even the service tech guy talked like a used car salesman.

JPK 08-15-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 15797306)
It's supposed to be a pain in the rear and costly to make these new transponder key's.Helps keep the theft of vehicles down.

I've owned Jeeps for 20 years and have never had one stolen let alone broken into.

It is a secretive process I know. The service tech needs to insert the key into his ear and mentally reprogram them. It takes a while and great concentration to do it and it's expensive to send him to Nepal to learn the ways from the great master key programmer.

The circuit board in the key probably costs all of about $.50. It is not all that complex a thing. I've had to re solder both of my original key circuit boards several times because the solder points broke.

Shafer57 08-15-2013 03:22 PM

Licensed automotive locksmith here. The dealer just told you a crock of bull****. That is a fu**ing ripoff and they know it. Next time call a local locksmith. In the US, if you have two working keys for your vehicle (Chrysler) a third can be enrolled doing on-board programming. The only ones this is not true on is some of the newer vehicles (11+)

Keys can be bought at locksmiths/online. And more locksmiths than ever can program them. People have this impression that only dealers can make car keys.

Shafer57 08-15-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 15797306)

The computer I use for Chryslers (and a few other makes) to program the keys cost me over $7,000 plus software updates ($650+each make). Keys cost me very little but the programming is where the real cost is.

WhiteOut 08-15-2013 03:36 PM

You understand the sensor is a book time job right? And that dealership charges more for parts?

Also, $185 a key is not bad. That's either 0.5 or 1 units of labor and parts.

Next, someone will post up and be confused why they charge an hour of labour for diagnostics on the scan tools.

kVon 08-15-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 15798362)
The computer I use for Chryslers (and a few other makes) to program the keys cost me over $7,000 plus software updates ($650+each make). Keys cost me very little but the programming is where the real cost is.

I agree with you. I work for a different brand, but our server and programming computers cost nearly $100k, plus the constant mandatory updates. People act offended when we charge $100 to use the machines. Different mind set I guess.

Its like complaining about being charged for a medical procedure. Yes, it's expensive, but far cheaper than owning your own equipment.

Shafer57 08-15-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kVon (Post 15798403)
I agree with you. I work for a different brand, but our server and programming computers cost nearly $100k, plus the constant mandatory updates. People act offended when we charge $100 to use the machines. Different mind set I guess.

Its like complaining about being charged for a medical procedure. Yes, it's expensive, but far cheaper than owning your own equipment.

I understand how cost/management of prices works. The thing that truly sets me off about this particular topic, is the dealer told him he can't add a third key himself. I've heard so many of my customers tell me stories from dealers saying they're they only people who can make keys it's made me despise their practices with these things.

Those keys cost Chrysler around $6-10 to make, and they charge an enormous markup.

Depending on what company you work for, $100 could be a reasonable price. But Chrysler is a pretty basic system with only a few variations in key/immo types. Not complex to deal with at all. Therefore not tons of software and training.

kVon 08-15-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 15798436)
I understand how cost/management of prices works. The thing that truly sets me off about this particular topic, is the dealer told him he can't add a third key himself. I've heard so many of my customers tell me stories from dealers saying they're they only people who can make keys it's made me despise their practices with these things.

Those keys cost Chrysler around $6-10 to make, and they charge an enormous markup.

Depending on what company you work for, $100 could be a reasonable price. But Chrysler is a pretty basic system with only a few variations in key/immo types. Not complex to deal with at all. Therefore not tons of software and training.

Yes, I see your point. Lying is bad, period.

Shafer57 08-15-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kVon (Post 15798446)
Yes, I see your point. Lying is bad, period.

:cheers2:

tjkj2002 08-15-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 15798436)

In one way they are correct but in another they are not.If you only have 1 programmed key then you can not program others(say you lost the 2nd key).If you already have 2 programmed keys then yes you can program others up to 10 keys total.

From what I understand the OP only had 1 key since he was having 2 more cut/programmed,in that case he would have had them program at least one of those keys(to make 2 programmed keys) before he could personally program the 3rd but since there doing one might as well have them do the 2nd.

The time now is 08:33 PM.