Starting Problems...HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Starting Problems...HELP

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
jeepntony
2007 WK 

Starting Problems...HELP

I have a 07 grand cherokee laredo 4x4 with the 3.7 L 6 cyl. I tried to start my jeep this morning and it wouldn't turn over. Not even a click. All the lights come on and the radio works fine. The battery has a full charge and everything is fine. But it won't start. It says that the transmission is overheated. Iv had this problem before and they replaced the Wireless Ignition Node WIN module...it took care of the problem for one month. It cost me 350bucks the first time around. If anyone knws wat the problem is please tell me. I can't figure this problem out...HELP!

jeepntony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Could be the starter. Though the 3.7's don't have many issues with this. But, sounds like a starter to me.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
jeepntony
2007 WK 

Yeah I think I fugureed it out. A lot of mechanics said that corssion buildup on the positive side of the starter. And also check the wires from the starter to the control box. There may be corrosion on those too. Thanks for ur help. Ill pull the starter out and clean the wires and regrease everything....thanks again.
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
tju57

I have the same problem

My 2007 4.7 v8 has the same problem. The first thought was the neutral safety switch, but when I called the dealer to get a new switch he said it's not a servicable item. After many questions and about 15 minutes later, the neutral safety switch is incorporated in the transmission solenoid pack, about $350.00.
tju57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Macguba798
2005 WK 

Is it throwing a code? When you said, "It says that the transmission is overheated" I'm guessing that's from the code. If so, I would check for trans oil level first and make sure no leaks underneath and lastly tju57 may have a point here.

Good luck with the fix.
Macguba798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
jeepntony
2007 WK 

Thanks for your input everyone...I really appreciate it. This past weekend I took apart the starter and cleaned all the connections on the battery, starter, ground to the engine block,ect. With terminal cleaner and wirebrushed everything, then swabbed everything with electrical grease. It feels like it starts better than it ever has. When I took the positive and negative connections aart from the starter...they were really loos! So ir was probably a connection problem. Knock on wood!!! But I still don't understand the whole "transmission overheat" warning on my dash. There were no leaks underneath and I still have to take it to a dealer in order to get the fluid checked. There Is No Dipstick...WEIRD! If anyone knows if u can install one on an 07 3.7 V6 , please tell me. Again thanks for everyones input.
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
mdsbigpapa
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepntony View Post
Thanks for your input everyone...I really appreciate it. This past weekend I took apart the starter and cleaned all the connections on the battery, starter, ground to the engine block,ect. With terminal cleaner and wirebrushed everything, then swabbed everything with electrical grease. It feels like it starts better than it ever has. When I took the positive and negative connections aart from the starter...they were really loos! So ir was probably a connection problem. Knock on wood!!! But I still don't understand the whole "transmission overheat" warning on my dash. There were no leaks underneath and I still have to take it to a dealer in order to get the fluid checked. There Is No Dipstick...WEIRD! If anyone knows if u can install one on an 07 3.7 V6 , please tell me. Again thanks for everyones input.
OK, here's my best guess as to why the "Transmission Overheat" message was displayed. Whenever I tune my Jeep with the Flashpaq, I get the same message along with a couple of others that escape me right now. The tuner requires the BUS to be interrupted so it can perform its magic. I believe it is very similar to a power loss to the PCM. Given this, and your dirty terminal/loose connections, there may have been a slight power interruption to the PCM which caused the "Transmission Overheat" message.
Mark, a.k.a. MDSBigPaPa - 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7L Hemi, AMSoil (0W30 SSO, transmission, transfer case, front & rear diffs, coolant, power steering), NGK 2313 plugs, Taylor Shorties, Jet 180 thermostat, Superchips 3875 w/ Advanced Trans Option. Future mods: CAI and CAT-back exhaust. Hemi Club Member #46A and 46B
mdsbigpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
jeepntony
2007 WK 

Oh ok...that would explain this whole mess. Because when it was starting whenever I yanked on the negaitive cable. The message would still show up. But after I cleaned, brushed, greased, and retightened everything the message has gone away. Thanks
Unread 09-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
stanton3
2007 WK 

Mine did the exact same thing, had to get a new starter. Still says transmission over temp a few months after, but has been fine ever since. Never threw a code either.
2007 WK 4x4 | OME HD 3" Lift | OME Shocks front + rear | 265/70/17 BFG All Terrains | 1.25" Wheel Spacers on stock wheels | Saguaro4xcomponents 5/8" Front recovery shackles | Aries Taillight Guards | PIAA 510 fogs in stock location | Midland 1001z Cb | Mopar Rear recovery hook | Rola Roof Rack |2 Hella 500ffs mounted behind grill | Firestick 3' Antenna | Saguaro Antenna Mount | Front Bumper Cut/Fender Trim | OEM Front suspension skid | 4xguard Front skid | Rusty's .5" Front Spacer | Lots more to come

[SIZE="3"]Want to buy: 4xguard Rear Guard[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stanton3s-build-wk-1134656/"]My Build[/URL][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
[SIZE="3"][URL="http://wrjeepclub.com/"]Warner Robins Jeep Club[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
stanton3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.