Starting problem -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Starting problem

Yeti Paracord Handles are in at JeepHut.comFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 6th annual beat your wife to the credit cards sale!!

Unread 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Starting problem

I have 06 commander 5.7 Hemi every once in awhile not all the time I go to start it... it just clicks and it will start after 20 or more click.. can anyone tell how to fix this... thanks for your time

jkann1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
2006 WK 
Check battery terminals for corrosion and tightness
Check battery voltage
Check fluid level in the battery, add distilled water only if necessary
Load test the battery
After all of that if you find nothing wrong, your starter might be on its way out.
Tekn0logy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
2005 WK 
How old is the battery? If more than 5yrs old may be time for a change. Best way to test it is a load test, done for free at most autoparts stores.
If not the battery, then a common issue is a bad connection at the solenoid. It's the Yellow wire at the solenoid. Basically corrosion inside the female blade terminal. Very common and search for yellow wire on the forum and you will find how-tos for a fix.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
2006 WK 
I had this same issue and replaced the battery due to it was 5 years old. It was fine for a week and then the issue reappeared. I replaced starter signal wire connector, didn't solve the issue. Next thing i changed was ignition electrical switch, no start click progressively got worse. At this point i decided to change the starter which solved my issue.
DunnieMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Keep on Jeepin on........
Usually the clicking is indicative of a battery with enough juice to hit the solenoid on the starter but not enough juice to spin the starter against the engine. So it just keeps trying to no avail.

Your battery is probably on the fritz.

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.