Starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Starting issues

50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.com50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitBorla Exhaust presents "Climber" at EJS

Unread Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #1
emd023

Starting issues

Sometimes my jeep has trouble starting. It will take 2-3 cranks before she starts up and sometimes when she finally does I hear a gargling sound, similar to an engine that's about to stall out. Also, very rarely it wont even crank. After 5 minutes of trying it eventually starts cranking.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

emd023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:33 AM   #2
Nejeep

Which year and engine do you have, mileage and maintenance history would be helpful. Any CEL?

Corroded battery or starter connections might be causing the no crank, otherwise starter could be failing.
Misfiring on start up could be worn spark plugs or fuel problems. A good mechanic should be able to sort it out.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 10:42 AM   #3
emd023

2006 3.7L 63,000 miles. ive taken it to the shop before but they were unable to find anything. The CEL is on. I dont see any corrosion around the battery. Could it be fuel pressure?
Unread Today, 11:49 AM   #4
Nejeep

First find out what trouble codes are stored as indicated by the CEL, that will narrow down the problem greatly. Many part stores will read the codes for no charge.
Battery connections may look ok, but still cause problems. It is good practice to remove and clean them whenever you have starting problems.
Have the spark plugs been changed within the last 30k miles? If not, they are likely worn out.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:16 PM   #5
emd023

I believe they have but I will go ahead and replace them while I am at the parts store. And ill give the connections a cleaning. Thanks for the info.
Unread Today, 02:09 PM   #6
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

The no crank issue may be the "yellow wire" problem that many members have.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.