STALLING - 5.7 HEMI Grand Cherokee Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > STALLING - 5.7 HEMI Grand Cherokee Overland

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
lcollison

STALLING - 5.7 HEMI Grand Cherokee Overland

Purchased 2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 HEMI 4X4 with 75,000 miles on 5-1-12

Began stalling when stopped or coming to a stop with foot off the accelerator. Engine would start up just by restarting the Jeeps. Months later sometimes you would have to turn the key to OFF before it would start, most of the time just restart. Only once, in early October, did the jeep stall when driving at less than 25 MPH. One day it stalled three times in one 8 hour period. On average it would stall once every 7 to 10 days.

No codes, stored or pending during this journey.

May 2012
Replaced the cam sensor. Check hoses for vacuum leak, found none. Did not help.

June 2012
Replaced the ASD relay. Did not help.
Changed from Premium to Mid Grade. Did not help.
Changed to Regular Grade. Did not help.

Checked air filter and cleaned throttle body with STP Cleaner.

Added Fuel system cleaner to fuel tank. Did not help.

Checked all of the electronic connectors, none loose or damaged.
Did not help.

July 2012
Checked transmission fluid (Yes I can, I have the non-Mercedes transmission.) Fluid level was fine.

August 2012
Replaced MAP sensor and position crank sensor. Did not help.

Replace EGR Valve (I guess during the manufacturing timeline Jeep changed the alternator supplier.) My Jeep was one that you either had to remove the starter or saw off the lower bolt holding the alternator. No way could you simply remove the bolts from the alternator bracket. I chose to “sawzall” the lower bolt. I cut my bolt so close to the engine block I figured my stupidly would cost me a grand to fix. I was fortunate I had backed the bolt out so far before the sawzall episode I could grab a metal bur on the bolt with needle nose and back it out. EGR replacement did not help

September 2012
Changed oil and filter for the first time since I purchased the Jeep. Used SAE 5w30. Did not help.

October 2012
With 79,000 miles on the HEMI I replaced all sixteen Champion 570 with new Champion 570. Sprayed each of the 16 boots with electronic cleaner verified the plug gap and torqued the plugs. Sprayed vast amount of STP throttle body cleaner in the TB and STP fuel system cleaner in the gas tank.

SUCCESS Four weeks and 1,000 + miles and no stalls.

lcollison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Good work man.

Don't look at it like you were failing. Just look at it like you were performing proper maintenance.

That EGR bolt is a *****. I can't remember what I did but I somehow got it off without having to remove anything. I replaced it with a properly sized one.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcollison View Post
Purchased 2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 HEMI 4X4 with 75,000 miles on 5-1-12
...September 2012...Changed oil and filter for the first time since I purchased the Jeep. Used SAE 5w30.......
Glad your symptoms have stopped.

Your MDS will work better on 5W20 oil than 5W30. Mine also does better on full synthetic than on dino oil. I used dino oil for 36K miles for break-in, then switched to full synthetic. Now at 91K miles.

There is an extremely long thread on this stalling issue on this forum. Do a search on charlesrshell or 2007 HEMI Stalling.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.