To SRT or to not SRT... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > To SRT or to not SRT...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Jeepboarder
2008 WK 

To SRT or to not SRT...

So I've been on the fence about trading in my 08 wk HEMI for a 08-10 SRT for a few months. I love the way the SRT drives and handles and of course it looks mean! My current wk is going to need a complete suspension overhaul in the spring and I was thinking about just lowering it about 1-1 1/2" and with that comes a set of SRT rims (lowered wk's look weird with stock rims imo) I absolutely love my wk HEMI but I feel like that $2000 I'm going to spend on suspension, rims, and tires could be put towards a SRT that already has what I'm looking for (including HID's). Like every used car I've bought i had to put money into it. I know if I buy a SRT I'm eventually going to have to replace the suspension but it already comes stock with so much I want...I know there will be a MPG hit with the SRT but I don't care about that. I'd drive a Prius if I did.

Unread 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

I did it to my 05 I like the look a lot better. I did all the srt8 suspension it handles great. It is a fun project.
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Marcus86GLHS

sounds like your priorities for a WK make buying an SRT a no-brainer.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Buy what you want. Trying to build it just destroys resale value, kills investment, and you won't get as complete a package, anyway. If you want more offroad and snow ability, get the non-SRT. If you want more handling and acceleration and braking on summer pavement, buy the SRT. Simple as that, IMO
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
paroxysym
2007 WK 

so youre willing to lose your *** to trade in for a vehicle with another 90hp and a sport suspension? honestly id build what you have, theres several guys who rock 5.7 WKs with SRT or lowered suspension and are more than content. in the end its your choice..
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

I have a feeling im not far from needing to do my suspension as well(you can hear a noise that I cant explain when coming out of a driveway or off a curb) and kinda clueless on what to replace and what to replace it with.
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedoutGC View Post
I have a feeling im not far from needing to do my suspension as well(you can hear a noise that I cant explain when coming out of a driveway or off a curb) and kinda clueless on what to replace and what to replace it with.
if youre thinking of doing the SRT suspension, you can get front and rear coils for maybe $200 or less. I snagged my rear springs for $100 and they had maybe 40k on them. theres a few spring opinions if you want to go lower, personally if you in a state that gets a decent amount of snow- I wouldn't go lower than a set of OEM SRT springs.
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
if youre thinking of doing the SRT suspension, you can get front and rear coils for maybe $200 or less. I snagged my rear springs for $100 and they had maybe 40k on them. theres a few spring opinions if you want to go lower, personally if you in a state that gets a decent amount of snow- I wouldn't go lower than a set of OEM SRT springs.
I live in nc so we don't get much snow but occasionally or if I drive to the mountains to snowboard. I really don't wanna drop it but I wouldn't mind a slight drop if it just so happened by new suspension. AKA I don't want something low to the ground but I also wouldn't complain about maybe a 1 inch drop to close the gap of my rear tires to the wheel well.(sometimes I wish I had gone with srt 22's instead of 20's)

guessing you got yours from a junk yard?
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedoutGC View Post
I live in nc so we don't get much snow but occasionally or if I drive to the mountains to snowboard. I really don't wanna drop it but I wouldn't mind a slight drop if it just so happened by new suspension. AKA I don't want something low to the ground but I also wouldn't complain about maybe a 1 inch drop to close the gap of my rear tires to the wheel well.(sometimes I wish I had gone with srt 22's instead of 20's)

guessing you got yours from a junk yard?
nope, SRT Cherokee forum and sometimes youll catch them on JG for cheap too. I run them in the rear with a set of bilstein HDs. im either sitting at stock height in the rear or a hair lower. my 31s fill the wheel well nicely. for the front I just leveled her out with new bilstein hds and a leveling spacer w/hemi XK coils. makes my 31s look big, and rides great.. shes pretty much a street jeep- but has the clearance to hit a light duty trail or OHV trail..
img_6051.jpg

Unread 01-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
nope, SRT Cherokee forum and sometimes youll catch them on JG for cheap too. I run them in the rear with a set of bilstein HDs. im either sitting at stock height in the rear or a hair lower. my 31s fill the wheel well nicely. for the front I just leveled her out with new bilstein hds and a leveling spacer w/hemi XK coils. makes my 31s look big, and rides great.. shes pretty much a street jeep- but has the clearance to hit a light duty trail or OHV trail..
any chance you could write me up exactly what I would need front and rear and roughly what kind of price im looking.....can pm if that's works better.
Unread 01-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #11
unobtanium
2010 WK 

I just put Bilstein 4600HD's on my Jeep and called it a day. Changed everything. Don't want to lose my ground clearance. YMMV
Unread 01-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
I just put Bilstein 4600HD's on my Jeep and called it a day. Changed everything. Don't want to lose my ground clearance. YMMV
they really are a good investment...

as far as redoing your suspension- depending on the miles I would just swap out your springs, replace your shocks with something of quality and replace your spring isolators while replacing the springs front and rear.
Unread 01-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #13
Aclow33
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepboarder View Post
So I've been on the fence about trading in my 08 wk HEMI for a 08-10 SRT for a few months. I love the way the SRT drives and handles and of course it looks mean! My current wk is going to need a complete suspension overhaul in the spring and I was thinking about just lowering it about 1-1 1/2" and with that comes a set of SRT rims (lowered wk's look weird with stock rims imo) I absolutely love my wk HEMI but I feel like that $2000 I'm going to spend on suspension, rims, and tires could be put towards a SRT that already has what I'm looking for (including HID's). Like every used car I've bought i had to put money into it. I know if I buy a SRT I'm eventually going to have to replace the suspension but it already comes stock with so much I want...I know there will be a MPG hit with the SRT but I don't care about that. I'd drive a Prius if I did.
Whats wrong with the suspension you have now? Are the coils bad?
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Jeepboarder
2008 WK 

Clunking noise at the front end whenever I drive over large potholes and speed bumps. I have almost 90,xxx on the stock suspension and I want to upgrade the entire system (short of upper and lower control arms...) not just add SRT eibach springs and 3 months later have to change struts. I've been looking into Bwoody springs which seems to drop a non SRT a little more than the eibachs. Does anyone have this setup? Pics would be much appreciated.
Unread 01-16-2015, 12:05 AM   #15
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepboarder View Post
Clunking noise at the front end whenever I drive over large potholes and speed bumps. I have almost 90,xxx on the stock suspension and I want to upgrade the entire system (short of upper and lower control arms...) not just add SRT eibach springs and 3 months later have to change struts. I've been looking into Bwoody springs which seems to drop a non SRT a little more than the eibachs. Does anyone have this setup? Pics would be much appreciated.
New lower control arms is how I fixed my clunking. Axles were hitting the struts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.