Which SRT to choose? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Which SRT to choose?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
i wouldnt whole heartedly agree with that statement... the guys that buy them buy them for the performance and they run them- HARD. yea occassionaly you find one thats had a very nice owner that took care of it but for every one thats been babied and modded right and looked after, id say theres 5 that have had the piss ran out of them and dumped before any major maintenance was needed or an issue arised that needed taken care of. case in point, the 06 with a bad tranny... less than 100k and youre replacing tranny components?
I don't know about the only one in five or one in six that would take top notch care of an SRT, but I know where I live there are a few running around that are driven by guys older than me and a couple that are putted around town by women. I've never seen any of them at the races, so I would expect they haven't been beaten. What kind of maintenance they have received is the unknown factor.

I also know that I take exceptional care of all my vehicles (including my 40 year old Benz), am very proactive on all maintenance aspects, but I am also not that easy on them. They get regular "WOT exercise" along with any scheduled/needed repairs. If they can't take, I don't want them. Also, a lot of folks like me would never part with their "babies" either. I've had the Benz for 28 years, my LX (wanna be SRT) going on 10 years and my WK (wanna be SRT), just over 4 now.

img_1448_renamed_1314.jpg

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #32
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Well, I looked at the 08' tonight and it's damn near perfect as far as exterior and interior condition. Mechanically she runs like a top.

Tomorrow i'm driving it to my mechanic so he can do a full inspection of EVERYTHING (he's a bit an*l) and if it checks out, it'll be mine.

They offered me 11k for my truck as it sits. Bone stock with a bit of front end damage and 86k on the clock.

Should the deal go down, i'll have my K&N for sale, along with my TB (I'm not sure if it can be used on the SRT to any benefit). Might sell my taillights as well.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Sounds great. Hope it all works out. Your CAI (if you don't like the SRT one) will work on the SRT, as will the throttle body and the catch can. What color is it?
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #34
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Sounds great. Hope it all works out. Your CAI (if you don't like the SRT one) will work on the SRT, as will the throttle body and the catch can. What color is it?
Silver (thank god) fully loaded. Rear camera, etc. Also, thing already has a BT black Catch-can

One owner all local maint. records. Hmm, I can look it up but do you know if putting the 81mm Fastman on there will be of any benefit? Aside from the argument of if they do anything to begin with.

My Dakota RT was silver and I miss being able to wash it and be happy, and not see 1,000 water spots or small scratches that black shows. I'd like to have another black vehicle though since they look so good when they're clean.

Also I found a Bruce Springsteen CD so i'm assuming it was someone with a decent taste in music
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #35
paroxysym
2007 WK 

good deal. i think the 08+ SRT WK looks better with the newer front end.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #36
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
Hmm, I can look it up but do you know if putting the 81mm Fastman on there will be of any benefit? Aside from the argument of if they do anything to begin with.

Also I found a Bruce Springsteen CD so i'm assuming it was someone with a decent taste in music
I think the TB may flow a little better than the stock one, especially if it's got a smoother inside finish, and it's probably newer than the one that's on it. IMO, bigger throttle bodies won't deliver big gains unless the engine has been somewhat modified. The same stock 80mm throttle bodies are used on all the Hemi's....5.7, 6.1 and 6.4. If the 85mm one on mine makes any difference, it isn't very much driving around town. It may make a difference at the drag strip, but I haven't had it to the drags yet to see for sure.

Could be the Springsteen CD was in there, because he's from your area or, it could be, as you said the guy has good taste in music. One other possibility, may be that Springsteen was the original owner of the SRT.
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #37
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Welp, I think i'd be buying a headache

My mechanic put it up in the air and found quite the array.

"Had" twin rear mount turbos, and a laundry list of hidden "previous mods"

Basically the fact that the TC and rear diff have been replaced and now rear diff is leaking proves those turbos did alot of no good on a stock drivetrain.

Likely been beat to all hell and I truly don't want someones problem. My truck runs like a tank so I don't need to trade it for the opposite. Back to the waiting game a deciding what to do. No rush so i'll wait however long I have to.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #38
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
Welp, I think i'd be buying a headache

My mechanic put it up in the air and found quite the array.

"Had" twin rear mount turbos, and a laundry list of hidden "previous mods"

Basically the fact that the TC and rear diff have been replaced and now rear diff is leaking proves those turbos did alot of no good on a stock drivetrain.

Likely been beat to all hell and I truly don't want someones problem. My truck runs like a tank so I don't need to trade it for the opposite. Back to the waiting game a deciding what to do. No rush so i'll wait however long I have to.
Yea, someone most likely ran the hell out of that thing....
I would stay clear....

On a side note, I bet that thing used to haul some major a** with all those old mods on it. Twin turbo 6.1L, with bwoody intake and tuned.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #39
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Yea, someone most likely ran the hell out of that thing....
I would stay clear....

On a side note, I bet that thing used to haul some major a** with all those old mods on it. Twin turbo 6.1L, with bwoody intake and tuned.
I can't begin to imagine how stupid fast it was. STOCK they put out 420HP at the crank, +Twin turbos? Tuned? likely 750+ if done right.

But all that power on a stock drivetrain and stock internals spells disaster even on those trucks.

I think i'll standby and wait for a lower mileage 08+ to come around. In the meantime i'm posting on SRT forums to see who owned that sucker haha
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #40
paroxysym
2007 WK 

HA proves my point... no one buys an SRT to cruise around at the speed limit. maybe the OLDER crowd and the soccer moms.

thats crazy turbos and stock drivetrain? in other words, he grenaded the first drivetrain swapped in another and dumped it after running the piss out of it.

sorry to hear about the waiting game, i hate that!
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

You have earned my respect for waiting haha I wouldn't be able to do it! It's gonna suck finding a SRT that hasn't been driven hard.
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #42
Shafer57
2006 WK 

I of all people understand you don't buy an SRT and not hit it hard. They're made for it and can handle it under normal conditions. But if forced induction of any kind is not done properly that spells disaster.

Most guys run 8psi on that motor without an issue down stream, but no one runs twin turbos totaling 8psi that's silly.

I'm just gunna idle and keep saving my money, and hopefully pickup an 08+ close to stock with lower miles. A deal will come along sooner or later

Until then, my trusty Hemi will fire right up for me
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #43
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Here you go. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4066673140.html

Seriously though, there are a few around here (Raleigh, NC area). If you're in NJ it's not that far, especially for an SRT.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/4160023045.html
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/4076024972.html
http://asheville.craigslist.org/ctd/4113805299.html

I'm with Jeepforthewin, I wouldn't have lasted this long. It's making me want one just reading through this thread!!
bobbylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #44
Shafer57
2006 WK 

I'm looking into this 2010 SRT in steel blue about 45 mins from me.

They're asking 35k but i'll do my talk and drop about 4-5 off that. Don't ask why/how but I seem to be amazing at negotiating with dealerships. Likely because i'm so familiar with how they operate I know what their limitations are.

I'll pay more for a vehicle I can put trust into. Why pay 3-5k less for a vehicle that might need 8k dropped into it?
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #45
Clirry
2014 WK 

^^^ Good luck!! Hope you will get that one! any links of 2010?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.