Which SRT to choose? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Which SRT to choose?

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenianotus View Post
The waiting list in Australia for the new SRT-2014 is around 1,000 units. The 2014 Hemi 8 speeds are selling well. The dealers all have smiles!
If they didn't cost 3 times more than my budget i'd buy one!

All kidding aside the new SRT's are insane machines. I kind of prefer the WK1 body style though. Based on all vehicles i've owned I prefer fast bricks

2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

The new WK2 SRTs are nice but I agree that there's something about the look of the WK body style that looks better to me. Probably because an SRT can stand out a bit more from 06-10 than the 11-14 can from the regular GCs. If you know what you're looking at, you can pick it out, but the WKs just tend to look a bit sleeker IMO, than the WK2s.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Shafer57
2006 WK 

The scary thing with the 06' is how many times the Electrical System was checked and the thing was sold immediately after.

This dealer also has another 06 with 75k and same price/features. Nicer history report.

Either way MY Jeep dealership is doing a full inspection of the vehicle so i'll see what happens Saturday.

And Megs, I have to completely agree with you. The WK1 SRTs are MUCH more noticeable than the WK2 in a few ways. Granted we know what to look for, but I do kind of crave that new 6.4L Hemi
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

The 6.4L would be amazing I agree with you guys to on the WK body style vs WK2. sucks to hear about the 06 :/ hopefully you can find one you like here soon! Keep us updated
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
The 6.4L would be amazing I agree with you guys to on the WK body style vs WK2. sucks to hear about the 06 :/ hopefully you can find one you like here soon! Keep us updated
Here's the one's carfax i'm looking at instead of the original 06's on the OP-http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...HR78366C257034

Not too bad, but the torque convertor replacement might raise a flag we shall see.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Well, after going up there (1 hour drive) they had two left.

The one I actually was looking at which was an 06' with 75k and it seemed nice. HOWEVER the trans had some issues. It would grind, making a sound like those small ruts you hit before a toll plaza to warn you to slow down. ALL THE TIME.

It had the Torque Convertor replaced 10k ago so it raised flags.

Now the fun part, after hidden fees they were asking 28k (originally posted for 22,885) for a truck with issues, then offered me $7,000 for my truck. I said "Have a nice day" and walked out. Pathetic.

Anyway, rant over, i'll just wait till' the next one comes around
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57
Well, after going up there (1 hour drive) they had two left. The one I actually was looking at which was an 06' with 75k and it seemed nice. HOWEVER the trans had some issues. It would grind, making a sound like those small ruts you hit before a toll plaza to warn you to slow down. ALL THE TIME. It had the Torque Convertor replaced 10k ago so it raised flags. Now the fun part, after hidden fees they were asking 28k (originally posted for 22,885) for a truck with issues, then offered me $7,000 for my truck. I said "Have a nice day" and walked out. Pathetic. Anyway, rant over, i'll just wait till' the next one comes around
Sorry to hear about that especially the price. Hate when stuff like that happens especially after a long drive!
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
Sorry to hear about that especially the price. Hate when stuff like that happens especially after a long drive!
Yeah so i'll be waiting til the next one. My truck runs like a top and I know it's by far the most reliable vehicle i've ever owned so i'm in no rush to sell.

I'll keep posted if I find any and need input
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
journey50
2002 WJ 

Ok.... I just picked up a 2006 SRT8 1 owner mint 66,000 mikes for 20,000 out the door.... This had no mods at all.. All receipts for service records.... And every option a 2006 could have... Cherokeesrt8.com is a gold mine of info... They require catch cans to keep oil out of upper intakes.... Take your time buying cause drivetrain problems will cost big Theyare animals she makes my 02 overland seem like a ford focus power wise...
journey50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

FWIW, my 2 cents worth. You know what you have with your 5.7 and you've already started modding it a little. Unless you're planning to do all out racing with the SRT, you could keep yours, do some more mods. and end up with 5.7 that handles and runs as good as a stock SRT. I bought my 5.7 Overland 4 years ago for $18K and over that time have sunk about $4K into it. It now runs about as good as an SRT, gets probably ~6-8 mpg (highway) better in fuel economy (because it still has MDS and a better exhaust), and probably handles better than a stock SRT because it's lowered. Only biggies I don't have are the NAG1 transmission, the bigger bolstered seats, the Brembo brakes (why would I need them), and the forged engine components. I've done all my mods without any major engine work. I could spend another $2000 for some big heads, but they're only worth about 30 hp more. I am plenty happy with mine now, and the only other thing I'll do now, is get SRT Rep. wheels when I wear the tires out. When I bought my Hemi LX, I could have bought an SRT, but opted for the RT, mostly because of the MDS. It is now modded just about like the WK (and does have the NAG1 tranny) and I know it beats stock SRT LX's, and even one local one with long tube headers.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
FWIW, my 2 cents worth. You know what you have with your 5.7 and you've already started modding it a little. Unless you're planning to do all out racing with the SRT, you could keep yours, do some more mods. and end up with 5.7 that handles and runs as good as a stock SRT. I bought my 5.7 Overland 4 years ago for $18K and over that time have sunk about $4K into it. It now runs about as good as an SRT, gets probably ~6-8 mpg (highway) better in fuel economy (because it still has MDS and a better exhaust), and probably handles better than a stock SRT because it's lowered. Only biggies I don't have are the NAG1 transmission, the bigger bolstered seats, the Brembo brakes (why would I need them), and the forged engine components. I've done all my mods without any major engine work. I could spend another $2000 for some big heads, but they're only worth about 30 hp more. I am plenty happy with mine now, and the only other thing I'll do now, is get SRT Rep. wheels when I wear the tires out. When I bought my Hemi LX, I could have bought an SRT, but opted for the RT, mostly because of the MDS. It is now modded just about like the WK (and does have the NAG1 tranny) and I know it beats stock SRT LX's, and even one local one with long tube headers.
YOU'RE KILLING ME

All kidding aside, at the end of the day, you're 100% correct. I'm a sucker for the SRT and i've always wanted one. I'm not rushing to buy one, and i'm not going to bend over backwards and shake my penny bank just to get one.

I'm looking at an 08' tomorrow and it looks like it's going to happen so long as I get enough for my truck and can negotiate a price with them on it. I'd like to pick one up so with just a few basic things i'll have what I want my current truck to be.

Like I said before though, you're correct, I could cough a few grand up and make my truck handle on rails, and perform like an SRT in ways. I have a ton of respect for people who build a vehicle into something. Like you have done, and I have done a decent amount of performance things as well. I'll let you know what happens, but as always I appreciate the .02.

I might end up buying nothing because if I can't afford it, i'll pass and keep my current setup which is a reliable setup that I know has a ton of life left in it.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

Man, it's like deja vu all over again. I hear the same thing from my other half. "Let's just mod out your Hemi now and it'll basically be the same thing..."

Thing is, I like my WK. But, in my case, I want to keep both. I like the fact that I can go either way with mine now (lifted or lowered) but, I guess I'm a sucker for them too. Sat behind a blue one the other day at a light and fell in love all over again. Tailgated the guy just because I was so enamored, that is, until I couldn't keep up anymore.

Good luck with the 08, hope it works out! I'll be living vicariously thru you until my day comes.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #28
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge View Post
Man, it's like deja vu all over again. I hear the same thing from my other half. "Let's just mod out your Hemi now and it'll basically be the same thing..."

Thing is, I like my WK. But, in my case, I want to keep both. I like the fact that I can go either way with mine now (lifted or lowered) but, I guess I'm a sucker for them too. Sat behind a blue one the other day at a light and fell in love all over again. Tailgated the guy just because I was so enamored, that is, until I couldn't keep up anymore.

Good luck with the 08, hope it works out! I'll be living vicariously thru you until my day comes.
I think i'd be willing to sell a kidney to keep my current Jeep and get an SRT.

What's cool about most SRT's is that the owners respect them, and take care of their investment. So even waiting to buy one like you are, you're still going to get a likely low mileage, well maintained vehicle.

And no one knows better than Jeep enthusiasts how long a Jeep can live.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #29
elfirebird
2005 WK 

Shafer, you should build an SRT-eater and be ahead.
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #30
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
I think i'd be willing to sell a kidney to keep my current Jeep and get an SRT.

What's cool about most SRT's is that the owners respect them, and take care of their investment. So even waiting to buy one like you are, you're still going to get a likely low mileage, well maintained vehicle.

And no one knows better than Jeep enthusiasts how long a Jeep can live.
i wouldnt whole heartedly agree with that statement... the guys that buy them buy them for the performance and they run them- HARD. yea occassionaly you find one thats had a very nice owner that took care of it but for every one thats been babied and modded right and looked after, id say theres 5 that have had the piss ran out of them and dumped before any major maintenance was needed or an issue arised that needed taken care of. case in point, the 06 with a bad tranny... less than 100k and youre replacing tranny components?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.