Which SRT to choose? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Which SRT to choose?

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Which SRT to choose?

OK i'm not 100% sold yet but i'm seriously considering an SRT8. I have a couple choices as of now and i'm in no huge rush to buy so i'm sure more will come down the road.

2006 with 57k for $22,800
or
2007 with 80k for $23,800

Both have about the same in features and I truly don't care about the DVD player. Which would you choose and why? My 06' 5.7 doesn't have any major issues but i'm not too familiar with SRT's so maybe some one here would know. I know there aren't many if any SRT's here but quite a few Jeep experts.

2007-http://www.emgautoonline.com/web/use...ersey/7877599/

2006-http://www.emgautoonline.com/web/use...ersey/8958251/

THANKS

2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
paroxysym
2007 WK 

They're both pretty much the same jeep- one has more features than the other... Look closely at the options. I know 08 was the year they changed the front fascia and stuff. But as far as mechanical features they are the same....

I know some got the DVD player, the HIDs and the upgraded sound system that included the woofer and such.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Appearance wise they are the same thing and same thing mechanically. Personally i would choose the 2006 as it has fewer miles and it's also cheaper. The black rims on the 07 are nice but id still prefer 23,000 miles less.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
Appearance wise they are the same thing and same thing mechanically. Personally i would choose the 2006 as it has fewer miles and it's also cheaper. The black rims on the 07 are nice but id still prefer 23,000 miles less.
Thanks for your response, and to the other above.

I guess the simple questions would've been the most common in used cars.

More miles & newer VS Less miles & older.

only 1 year difference and 23k is a big chunk. I'm leaning towards the 06.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

I would lean towards the lower mileage as well, especially with an SRT. You don't know exactly how easy they were on the engine. I personally would try to find an 08 just because the interior would be upgraded, but, the chances of finding one within your price range without high mileage would probably be slim to none.

Side note: This will definitely be my next Jeep purchase. These are just too pretty to pass up! We already have 2 WK 5.7s in the family as well as a TJ so I think we need one to round it out.

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge View Post
I would lean towards the lower mileage as well, especially with an SRT. You don't know exactly how easy they were on the engine. I personally would try to find an 08 just because the interior would be upgraded, but, the chances of finding one within your price range without high mileage would probably be slim to none.

Side note: This will definitely be my next Jeep purchase. These are just too pretty to pass up! We already have 2 WK 5.7s in the family as well as a TJ so I think we need one to round it out.
I like the 08's too, but agree on the fact that they're hard to come by without high miles under 30k. Atleast in my area.

I don't mind the 06 or 07 interior at all so i'm not sacrificing anything here, or i'd just keep saving and buy an 08' when it comes around.

I have to agree that an SRT will really round out that family ya got there. It'll be the musclehead brother of the bunch
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Im not sure if anyone else noticed this. But the 2007 has a red aftermarket intake. It looks like the Bwoody Cold Air Intake.

Either way, you could look at that as a good thing..... or a bad thing. The previous owner might have ran it hard. Not that you can blame him . You can assume with an aftermarket intake, it was probably also tuned. Possibly more mods. Which would be a nice addition to have, but you also gotta expect that the previous owner used the vehicle for what it was intended "SRT". I would say there is a decent chance the 2007 was ran harder than the 2006. Its also got more miles.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Im not sure if anyone else noticed this. But the 2007 has a red aftermarket intake. It looks like the Bwoody Cold Air Intake.

Either way, you could look at that as a good thing..... or a bad thing. The previous owner might have ran it hard. Not that you can blame him . You can assume with an aftermarket intake, it was probably also tuned. Possibly more mods. Which would be a nice addition to have, but you also gotta expect that the previous owner used the vehicle for what it was intended "SRT". I would say there is a decent chance the 2007 was ran harder than the 2006. Its also got more miles.
im going to have to agree with this...

you dont throw an intake and a set of black SRT rims on that thing without running the piss out of it or tweaking it to your liking. after looking at the pics they are both in really nice shape for being 6+ years old. but i agree 23k is a nice chunk of mileage. 2006 was the first year for the SRT8 WK. did you get a carfax for both? see how many owners each have had.... if theyre both one owner jeeps, its kind of a toss up.
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Shafer57
2006 WK 

I'm leaning towards the 06'. I do like the fact that it looks like it's stock, but of course so will my Jeep if I trade it (Some stuff will be for sale). 23,000 miles is a good 2 years of driving for me so that equals more than the one year difference.

Both have clean Carfax reports as listed on their site, but not with too many service records. Regardless, before I sign on any dotted lines it's going to my mechanic or a Jeep dealer for a full inspection.

I plan on doing the 4" intake from Bwoody either way so the 06' that is stock isn't hurting anything for me.

The opinions are helping, thanks!
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Is it just me or does the '07 look like it has stop leak in the coolant reservoir?

I'd go with the '06 regardless.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Go with the 06. Beat them up on price because you think its old. Looks really nice. I like the SRT8's in black.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Is it just me or does the '07 look like it has stop leak in the coolant reservoir?

I'd go with the '06 regardless.
That is one filthy reservoir. 07 seems sketchy. Or at the least just driven pretty hard.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
That is one filthy reservoir. 07 seems sketchy. Or at the least just driven pretty hard.
like i said anyone that throws a bwoody intake on an SRT knows what theyre doing and is running it hard... i wouldnt be surprised if they ran a tune on it too.

the 06 looks unmolested, low mileage, so someone probably bought it for the options and the appearance and stuff and never ran the dog piss out of it. lower mileage, going on 8 years old- id see if theyd budge on the price and then go from there. its not like theres nothing you can do to the 07 you cant to the 06..
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Shafer57
2006 WK 

I'm going up Saturday to discuss some things. They will appraise my Jeep and go from there. I'm not sure what i'll get for it, hopefully a decent amount (Maybe 10k). I'll jerk them around a bit on price, and see what happens.

I really hope after offering some cash on top of trade they'll budge some with the price even though in reality 22,885 isn't terrible. I hope to make it all work out, but if not there will be more down the road, so.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Taenianotus
2006 WK 

The waiting list in Australia for the new SRT-2014 is around 1,000 units. The 2014 Hemi 8 speeds are selling well. The dealers all have smiles!
Taenianotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.