JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Spyder LED Tail's installed...BUT? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/spyder-led-tails-installed-but-1496611/)

jeep_wk06 03-20-2013 07:46 PM

Spyder LED Tail's installed...BUT?

So i got my smoked LED tail lights from spyder in the mail yesterday and got them all hooked up and installed last night (super simple) but there is one thing I noticed that slightly concerns me. The LED's are super bright, as they should be. But what I have noticed is that when the lights (running lights) are on, they are almost too bright, and the subsequent flash (of a turn signal, or when the brakes come on) almost isn't noticeable. You can definitely see a difference in light output, from the running lights to brake/turn signals, but it seems as thought its not enough.

Idk, maybe I'm just not used to them yet, and I did a ton of research before I bought them and saw almost no negative feedback on them. Any comments from anybody that has a set of these in their WK would be greatly appreciated. I will try and upload a video to youtube tonight of them, if i do ill throw the link in here too. Thanks in advance all!

Shafer57 03-20-2013 10:16 PM

Normal. I have the same issue, there's no way to "tone them down" that I know of so that's the way they're gunna be.

ryann04 03-21-2013 01:14 AM

simple solution to 1/2 your problem.

If you are any good with wiring; you should be able to run a relay to your tail light and tap the wires to blink with your blinker at the same time to help enhance visability for signal lights instead of reducing it.

The only thing you wont be able to do is fix the brake problem....

this is not a plug and play solution, but if your handy with wiring, this is achievable.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

jeep_wk06 03-21-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryann04 (Post 15168199)
simple solution to 1/2 your problem.

If you are any good with wiring; you should be able to run a relay to your tail light and tap the wires to blink with your blinker at the same time to help enhance visability for signal lights instead of reducing it.

The only thing you wont be able to do is fix the brake problem....

this is not a plug and play solution, but if your handy with wiring, this is achievable.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Well I'm definitely not an expert, but how hard would this be? Any help with what this would all involve/what the process would be would be great. Definitely interested, as it would solve 1/2 my problem. As far as the other 1/2 i found a strobe module to wire into the third brake light for around $8 on superbrightleds.com to make that a little more noticeable.

Thanks!

fred99x 03-21-2013 12:24 PM

I would think that a resistor in line with the running lights should fix the problem. Using a variable resistor would allow you to adjust the brightness to your satisfaction. I'm sure someone knowing the current draw of the LEDs could figure out the required resistance. (This is assuming the running LEDs are separate from the brake/turn LEDs).

jeep_wk06 03-21-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred99x
I would think that a resistor in line with the running lights should fix the problem. Using a variable resistor would allow you to adjust the brightness to your satisfaction. I'm sure someone knowing the current draw of the LEDs could figure out the required resistance. (This is assuming the running LEDs are separate from the brake/turn LEDs).

Unfortunately I don't think this would work. They are the same LEDs for the running and brake/turn, that just increase output when activated to brake/turn.

fred99x 03-21-2013 03:33 PM

Assuming the running lights have their own wire, you would insert the resistor in-line with that wire. When the running lights are on the LEDs would be dim and when break/signal is applied that wire would bypass the resistor giving full brightness to the LEDs.

jjt250 03-21-2013 04:24 PM

Have you gotten a chance to take a video of them? I wish I could help, but I'd like to see the output difference with the blinkers on because I have been eyeing these myself. By the way, nice to see another Omahan!

jeep_wk06 03-21-2013 04:51 PM

fred99x- that makes more sense than what i was thinking before. that may be something to consider.

jjt250- i will try and take a video tonight yet and get it up here. Nice to see you're from Omaha! Just moved out here from Wisconsin last fall, liking it pretty well so far!

jeep_wk06 03-21-2013 04:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjt250
Have you gotten a chance to take a video of them? I wish I could help, but I'd like to see the output difference with the blinkers on because I have been eyeing these myself. By the way, nice to see another Omahan!

Here is a picture that can do for now. I love they look with the Silver.

Shafer57 03-21-2013 04:54 PM

A video i just found.

They don't come with the LED reverse lights though

jeep_wk06 03-21-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 15171678)
A video i just found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1jYOEnHbw

They don't come with the LED reverse lights though

It doesn't say if those are spyder or not, but my turn signal/brake are much less noticeable than that. I'll try to get a video up tonight.

b_a_mech 03-21-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep_wk06

It doesn't say if those are spyder or not, but my turn signal/brake are much less noticeable than that. I'll try to get a video up tonight.

Maybe this will help ya...
Trolling from the YJ side....let me ask a question about your problem....did the lights come plug and play? I ask because I just switched my tails over to LED also and mine came with 3 wires ready to splice in. 1 wire is for ground -white , 1 wire for stop/turn -red (brightest), and 1 wire for running lights -black (dimmer). If they came pre wired they might have swapped the wires. If they weren't then all ya have to do is swap the two and your problem is solved. Just a thought, hope it helps

jeep_wk06 03-21-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_a_mech

Maybe this will help ya...
Trolling from the YJ side....let me ask a question about your problem....did the lights come plug and play? I ask because I just switched my tails over to LED also and mine came with 3 wires ready to splice in. 1 wire is for ground -white , 1 wire for stop/turn -red (brightest), and 1 wire for running lights -black (dimmer). If they came pre wired they might have swapped the wires. If they weren't then all ya have to do is swap the two and your problem is solved. Just a thought, hope it helps

Yeah, they were plug and play. And that is exactly what it seems like, the levels of light are just switched.

b_a_mech 03-21-2013 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If that is the case you can swap the pins in the plug to fix it. If you can't do that then you could always cut n splice....always hate doing that but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. Good luck I love my LEDs!

Attachment 590620

The time now is 04:01 AM.