Spare wheel Heatshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Spare wheel Heatshield

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
jamie1131
2006 WK 

Spare wheel Heatshield

Anyone else had the heatshield between the exhaust and spare wheel fall off? Well i say fall off but its just about hanging on, the two fixing points that you can see have completly fractured. Wondering if i can get away without it all together?

jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

The mechanic at my favorite independent shop told me that shield really isn't necessary because there isn't much heat back there, when it's a diesel (which mine is). It's different for a gasoline model - the tailpipe is hotter. If mine was falling off I definitely want it replaced either way.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

I'd expect the diesel model to have more heat there...definitely during a regen cycle.

That said, I think you'll be fine without it. My truck has been without a heat shield on the custom exhaust for a long time...the exhaust can actually touch the spare if it gets to swinging.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
jamie1131
2006 WK 

Yeah mine is a diesel but thankfully it won't be doing a regen cycle!

Im going to pull the heatshield off and see if i can refit with some large washers.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.