Spare key sets off my car alarm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Spare key sets off my car alarm

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

Spare key sets off my car alarm

hello,

i drive a 2005 jeep grand cherokee laredo and i recently purchased an additional transponder key for it. the key was nothing fancy--the OEM jeep transponder key without the keyless entry. the key was cut and starts the car fine--i can drive around without a problem.

however, if i lock the car with the keyless remote that i have and try to unlock the car using the new spare--the alarm goes off.

what would be causing the alarm to go off with this new key? is there a way to prevent the alarm from sounding when unlocking the door manually?

thanks for the help!

maybeitsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
jeep973
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 06 WK with the same problem. I bought it used and it only had one key. I had the dealer cut a new key, one without the remote functions. If I lock the jeep and close the door the next time I open it with the new key the alarm goes off until I start it.
The dealer told me that is the way it will be, doesn't seem right!
jeep973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
ethorson

This appears to be a "feature" of the WK alarm system. The alarm is armed if you lock the door with the inside door lock switch or the key remote lock button. The alarm will go off if you unlock the door using the key in the door lock (either the skinny key without remote control or the fat key with remote control). You must use the key remote control to get in without setting off the alarm.

You can work around this by always locking the car using the key in the door lock and not the inside door switch. Then the alarm will not go off if you open the door with either type of key.
ethorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep973 View Post
I have an 06 WK with the same problem. I bought it used and it only had one key. I had the dealer cut a new key, one without the remote functions. If I lock the jeep and close the door the next time I open it with the new key the alarm goes off until I start it.
The dealer told me that is the way it will be, doesn't seem right!
They have to program the new key.The way to do it is in the owners manual.
But you need the 2 original keys to do it or they have to use Starscan.They wer probably to lazy to do that for you when you got your key from them.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
ethorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfreddy View Post
They have to program the new key.The way to do it is in the owners manual.
But you need the 2 original keys to do it or they have to use Starscan.They wer probably to lazy to do that for you when you got your key from them.
I think the engine will automatically shut off after starting if the key is not programmed. It sounds like your spare key was programmed. Now that you have two keys you can get a blank key with the remote control feature (probably expensive) and program it yourself using the procedure in the owner's manual. I programmed two spare keys using the procedure without problems.
ethorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

Yeah, i had exactly the same problem. i bought the car used, and it only came with one key--which is total BS if you ask me. when i went to get the spare it starts the car fine (which means that its programmed), but it doesn't deactivate the alarm.

if that's a "feature"---its a feature i could really live without. i guess i have to spend an ungodly amount on another remote key after all.

anyone know if you can reprogram already cut remote keys? i saw a few on ebay for <20 bucks. is it possible to replace only the keyblade?
Unread 03-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme View Post
Yeah, i had exactly the same problem. i bought the car used, and it only came with one key--which is total BS if you ask me. when i went to get the spare it starts the car fine (which means that its programmed), but it doesn't deactivate the alarm.

if that's a "feature"---its a feature i could really live without. i guess i have to spend an ungodly amount on another remote key after all.

anyone know if you can reprogram already cut remote keys? i saw a few on ebay for <20 bucks. is it possible to replace only the keyblade?
yeah you can reprogram them! I say in your case... just buy the key from eBay, then turn around, take the keyblade out, and just use it that way, as a seperate remote.
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
yeah you can reprogram them! I say in your case... just buy the key from eBay, then turn around, take the keyblade out, and just use it that way, as a seperate remote.
hey thats a really really good idea. i can just attach it on a keychain with the actual key. i only paid 14 bucks for the used remote key. this could actually work!!

thanks for the idea
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Mom always said I had an overactive imagination.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.