Spare key sets off my car alarm - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
maybeitsjustme
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: boston
Posts: 14
Spare key sets off my car alarm

hello,

i drive a 2005 jeep grand cherokee laredo and i recently purchased an additional transponder key for it. the key was nothing fancy--the OEM jeep transponder key without the keyless entry. the key was cut and starts the car fine--i can drive around without a problem.

however, if i lock the car with the keyless remote that i have and try to unlock the car using the new spare--the alarm goes off.

what would be causing the alarm to go off with this new key? is there a way to prevent the alarm from sounding when unlocking the door manually?

thanks for the help!

maybeitsjustme is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 PM
jeep973
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 14
I have an 06 WK with the same problem. I bought it used and it only had one key. I had the dealer cut a new key, one without the remote functions. If I lock the jeep and close the door the next time I open it with the new key the alarm goes off until I start it.
The dealer told me that is the way it will be, doesn't seem right!
jeep973 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM
ethorson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 82
This appears to be a "feature" of the WK alarm system. The alarm is armed if you lock the door with the inside door lock switch or the key remote lock button. The alarm will go off if you unlock the door using the key in the door lock (either the skinny key without remote control or the fat key with remote control). You must use the key remote control to get in without setting off the alarm.

You can work around this by always locking the car using the key in the door lock and not the inside door switch. Then the alarm will not go off if you open the door with either type of key.
ethorson is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 PM
fatfreddy
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep973 View Post
I have an 06 WK with the same problem. I bought it used and it only had one key. I had the dealer cut a new key, one without the remote functions. If I lock the jeep and close the door the next time I open it with the new key the alarm goes off until I start it.
The dealer told me that is the way it will be, doesn't seem right!
They have to program the new key.The way to do it is in the owners manual.
But you need the 2 original keys to do it or they have to use Starscan.They wer probably to lazy to do that for you when you got your key from them.
fatfreddy is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 PM
ethorson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfreddy View Post
They have to program the new key.The way to do it is in the owners manual.
But you need the 2 original keys to do it or they have to use Starscan.They wer probably to lazy to do that for you when you got your key from them.
I think the engine will automatically shut off after starting if the key is not programmed. It sounds like your spare key was programmed. Now that you have two keys you can get a blank key with the remote control feature (probably expensive) and program it yourself using the procedure in the owner's manual. I programmed two spare keys using the procedure without problems.
ethorson is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
maybeitsjustme
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: boston
Posts: 14
Yeah, i had exactly the same problem. i bought the car used, and it only came with one key--which is total BS if you ask me. when i went to get the spare it starts the car fine (which means that its programmed), but it doesn't deactivate the alarm.

if that's a "feature"---its a feature i could really live without. i guess i have to spend an ungodly amount on another remote key after all.

anyone know if you can reprogram already cut remote keys? i saw a few on ebay for <20 bucks. is it possible to replace only the keyblade?
maybeitsjustme is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
marlon_jbt
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme View Post
Yeah, i had exactly the same problem. i bought the car used, and it only came with one key--which is total BS if you ask me. when i went to get the spare it starts the car fine (which means that its programmed), but it doesn't deactivate the alarm.

if that's a "feature"---its a feature i could really live without. i guess i have to spend an ungodly amount on another remote key after all.

anyone know if you can reprogram already cut remote keys? i saw a few on ebay for <20 bucks. is it possible to replace only the keyblade?
yeah you can reprogram them! I say in your case... just buy the key from eBay, then turn around, take the keyblade out, and just use it that way, as a seperate remote.

Red Jeep Club member # 264
marlon_jbt is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
maybeitsjustme
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: boston
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
yeah you can reprogram them! I say in your case... just buy the key from eBay, then turn around, take the keyblade out, and just use it that way, as a seperate remote.
hey thats a really really good idea. i can just attach it on a keychain with the actual key. i only paid 14 bucks for the used remote key. this could actually work!!

thanks for the idea
maybeitsjustme is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
marlon_jbt
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,133
Mom always said I had an overactive imagination.

Red Jeep Club member # 264
marlon_jbt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
factory alarm arms but wont sound off the alarm sdowney717 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 04-18-2009 07:09 PM
My Alarm Remote Got Crushed And My Alarm Is Going Off Help!!! SWADE23 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 02-28-2008 07:27 PM
how do the poly bushing sets work????? jeepinjoe123 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 10-31-2007 06:52 AM
Anyone have 2 sets of tires and wheels? mbogosia ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 26 06-30-2006 02:47 PM
1993 Grand Wagoneer ?????? desperation sets in! MrPanther0 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 24 08-30-2005 07:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome