spacer lift vs lift kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > spacer lift vs lift kit?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
wicat3
2005 WK 

spacer lift vs lift kit?

Hey guys this may be a stupid question or maybe its been gone over before but I didn't see it. I was wondering whats the difference between a spacer lift, such as like a rough country lift which I heard referred to as this, and a lift kit, such as an ome lift? Im looking to get a little lift in my 05 WK and I don't do much offroad maybe a few times a year but I love the look.

wicat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

The difference is how the lift is achieved. The Rough Country lift is a spacer lift which basically is putting a 2 inch peice of metal on top of your front and rear coils to achieve the 2 inches of lift. Out of all the spacer lifts I would say the Rough Country is the best due to all metal parts instead of using poly spacers. A suspension lift on the other hand achieves the lift by using longer front/rear coils and also new shocks and struts. You will get the best ride and feel from a suspensions lift but it will cost more.
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
camber
2006 WK 

If you are only looking to offroad a few times a year, I would go with the spacer lift. However, that is dependent on if your factory shock and struts are still in good shape. If your Jeep has more than 75k miles on it, I would suggest having them checked out. If you are needing to replace them anyways, then you might as well go with the Old Man Emu setup.
camber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
bhawks28
2009 WK 

It's pretty common for people to buy a spacer lift, love it, and then want to upgrade to the OME lift or Super lift. In my opinion, you might as well skip the spacer lift and save up for the OME lift.
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
816jared
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
If you are only looking to offroad a few times a year, I would go with the spacer lift. However, that is dependent on if your factory shock and struts are still in good shape. If your Jeep has more than 75k miles on it, I would suggest having them checked out. If you are needing to replace them anyways, then you might as well go with the Old Man Emu setup.
I agree here. The difference in price between in a spacer type setup + new shocks/struts vs OME HD/MD is only a few hundo...
816jared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
It's pretty common for people to buy a spacer lift, love it, and then want to upgrade to the OME lift or Super lift. In my opinion, you might as well skip the spacer lift and save up for the OME lift.
I second this haha. I currently have the RC spacer lift and am now in the process of getting a 6" modified Superlift
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
DRCracker
"The Grizz"

2006 WK 

Quote:
I agree.

I had experience trying a spacer lift on an XJ, solid axles.
While it doesn't totally compare with the WK,
it did cause a good deal of axle wrap and other instability.

Save for the OME kit, you'll need new springs and shocks eventually anyway.
Replace the old worn out ones with new OME lifted ones
and you'll have no regrets.

My opinion.

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
bhawks28
2009 WK 

You also get an upgrade in ride quality if you change suspension. I personally love the way my OME HD rides on and off road. Although, the HD might be a little stiff for some, so you can always get the MD.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
helmetface

Just upgraded my rear leafs to OME HD, stock shackles, new bushings(derp) and sensatrac shocks(~2" over stock) and it rides like a dream and looks great too. I always have the option of bigger shackles and blocks for a few more inches.
helmetface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmetface View Post
Just upgraded my rear leafs to OME HD, stock shackles, new bushings(derp) and sensatrac shocks(~2" over stock) and it rides like a dream and looks great too. I always have the option of bigger shackles and blocks for a few more inches.
This is the WK side. Sounds like you have an XJ (or maybe a YJ).
Different platforms and suspension components.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Quote:
^X2! I had the RC 2'' lift for about 2 months and right before I was planning on installing it...I already knew I wouldn't be satisfied and decided to dish out the money for the OME. I see you live up north, be prepared to also purchase new bolts and nuts for the suspension. Mine were so rusted, the shop I had it at wanted to replace the LCA's because the bolt was stuck Instead we just purchased new bolts, busings and nuts. Called it a day.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Flyboys
2006 WK 

I was all set to go OME MD but ordered the RC 2" (spacer) with all new Bilstein 5100's on sale from Kolak. My truck only has 46000 miles on it so I figured i'd keep the springs for now and with good price on the shocks and the RC saves a few hundred and put that towards new wheels and tires. Other reason is most likely will get another truck in about 2 years thats when my vehicle ADD kicks in lol.
2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 /Bilstein 5100 2" front / Bilstein 5100 rear with 2" RC spacer / 18" Jeep 70th Aniv. 7 spoke wheels 255/70/18 / SC Flashpaq 91octane tune/ Bwoody Sway bar endlinks F&R/ Pioneer Radio with Bluetooth HF Polk speakers/
2009 Yukon Denali XL
Flyboys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

with the 5100's up front you will have alot of rear sag. Mine with the stock replacment bilsteins up front had some rear sag that I corrected with stacking coil isolators.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Flyboys
2006 WK 

they are adjustable 5100's up front
2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 /Bilstein 5100 2" front / Bilstein 5100 rear with 2" RC spacer / 18" Jeep 70th Aniv. 7 spoke wheels 255/70/18 / SC Flashpaq 91octane tune/ Bwoody Sway bar endlinks F&R/ Pioneer Radio with Bluetooth HF Polk speakers/
2009 Yukon Denali XL
Flyboys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

They are but at the lowest setting they are .75" over stock, so you are lifting the front 2.75" and 2" in the rear, I think the rear of mine only lifted 1.75" with the RC spacers
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.