So who wants to help me solve my wet idle surge issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > So who wants to help me solve my wet idle surge issue?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Jeff1119
2009 WK 

So who wants to help me solve my wet idle surge issue?

Im starting a new thread on this issue ,since the old thread is just about dead, in hopes someone wants to help me and put up with the issue I'm having. Basically to sum it up real quick, my 09 jeep grand cherokee runs great in dry weather but when it rains the idle will surge. Its something I've put up with for 6 months now. It just really annoys me because i love my jeep but this stupid wet electrical issue is pissing me off to the point that i want to trade it in. Now that its starting to warm up I plan on spraying the bottom of the jeep with a hose and seeing if it will do it. Ive come down to the conclusion that it has to be something on the bottom of the jeep thats getting wet thats electrical and is causing this. Ive changed the 3 coils and spark plug wires so i know thats not it. I can't see how also it would be something on top of the engine electrical because its so hot that i don't see how moisture or rain could effect it long enough. When the rain stops and the roads dry up, i have to drive around for a little before it will stop surging so that whatever is wet causing this issue can dry out in which it can stop surging. So that leads me to believe its something on the bottom of the jeep getting wet if i have to drive around when the rain has dried up for it to stop.

If you wanna see my problem in more detail, look under my post "does anyone else jeep do this" to see what i have tried. I really love this jeep. Its a great car when its dry out and has been reliable. But this stupid water issue with the idle surging like its about to stall makes me want to just get rid of it. I know some people are tired of hearing me complain about this but theres got to be a way to find the problem and fix it even if theres no codes. Mechanic is out of the question because trust me, I've been there and tried that, they are clueless. I even went on justanswer.com to ask 37 year experienced jeep mechanic who doesn't even know where to start. Like really? there has got to be a dam solution. Anyways, please chime in if you can offer some solutions and i would appreciate it

Jeff1119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I did not read your other thread.

Do you have diagnostic tools and experience in using them? Scanner, node lights, spark plug light, fuel pressure gauge, and propane?

Spark, air, fuel. If it were my jeep I would first check for codes, then my O2 sensor readings for rich conditions that may indicate a vacuum leak, then node lights to make sure my injectors are getting spark, then a spark plug light to make sure my plugs are getting power, then test my idle air control valve to make sure it is not sticking. I would also check my fuel pressure to make sure it is up to spec and possibly the injectors to make sure they all are working correctly.

Or, find a good independent mechanic that can do this for you.

You did not mention whether there are misfires. If no misfires it is still possible but less likely that it is an electrical problem.

Edit Add: I read the first post on your other thread. Looks like you have thrown a lot of new parts into the Jeep trying to solve the problem. Based on the idle issue mentioned in that post I would first test each injector to make sure they are working correctly. It takes a scanner, fuel pressure gauge, and some experience. It could be a few of your injectors are not allowing enough fuel to pass sometimes at idle. Still, the diagnostics mentioned above are highly recommended.

I need to do the same test on my Jeep when the weather warms up a little more.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 03:38 AM   #3
Greever
2008 WK 

when was the last time you did a transmission oil change? and have you triple checked that open connector that you found and made sure its still wraped up tight?
Unread 03-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greever View Post
when was the last time you did a transmission oil change? and have you triple checked that open connector that you found and made sure its still wraped up tight?
Yes, it could be this simple. How many miles on the jeep, how many owners, how long have you had it?

Could also be simple things like spark plug wires too old or connection at the pcm between pcm and injector or coil wires is corroding. However, this kind of a problem should trigger misfires but not always.
Unread 03-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Jeff1119
2009 WK 

In response to both, the spark plug wires have been changed. I have not changed the transmission fluid yet. Also that connector is still wrapped up tight but that wasn't the issue. Now if your talking fuel injectors and misfires, I don't have any misfires. But if the fuel injectors weren't working correctly wouldn't this happen on a dry day too? I've used fuel injector cleaner many times. Again it's making me believe something is getting wet that is not suppose to be. I have used the scanner before to look at the readings for the sensors. O2 sensors are within range as well as the tps is. I did notice that when it rains water from the cowl drips on the pcm wires through a little passage so I'm not sure if that's causing it. I haven't actually sprayed them with a spray bottle
Unread 03-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
Jeff1119
2009 WK 

Also it has 40,000 miles on it. Had 1 owner before me and had it for a year. Also the best example I can give you of how it acts when it's raining is taking the brake booster hose off the brake booster and pouring in sea foam as the engine catches itself
Unread 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1119 View Post
I did notice that when it rains water from the cowl drips on the pcm wires through a little passage so I'm not sure if that's causing it. I haven't actually sprayed them with a spray bottle
Find out which connector has the injector signal pass through it. I would check that connector for corrosion. Should be visible to the eye. For the 6 cylinder engine I believe it is connector C1 and C2.

Also, fix the cowl drip ASAP.
Unread 03-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
Jeff1119
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
Find out which connector has the injector signal pass through it. I would check that connector for corrosion. Should be visible to the eye. For the 6 cylinder engine I believe it is connector C1 and C2.

Also, fix the cowl drip ASAP.
ok these connectors are on the top of the engine under the fuel rail right?
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
Jeff1119
2009 WK 

This is what I'm talking about when it rains, you can see how the water drips through that corner onto the pcm connections
image.jpg  
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
DavidsCyclops
Jeepaholic

2014 WK 

Quote:
ok these connectors are on the top of the engine under the fuel rail right?
No, the connectors he is talking about are the ones in the picture you posted.
DavidsCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
DavidsCyclops
Jeepaholic

2014 WK 

Quote:
This is what I'm talking about when it rains, you can see how the water drips through that corner onto the pcm connections
The connector closest to the front of the car, is connector C1, if you have an 8 cylinder engine, the connections for fuel injectors #7 and #8 are in that connector as well are the connections for #7 and #8 coils.

The middle connector, is connector C2. It has the connections for the first 6 injectors on the engine. As well as the the connections for the coils for the first 6 cylinders of the engine.
DavidsCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
Jeff1119
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005WK37David View Post
The connector closest to the front of the car, is connector C1, if you have an 8 cylinder engine, the connections for fuel injectors #7 and #8 are in that connector as well are the connections for #7 and #8 coils.

The middle connector, is connector C2. It has the connections for the first 6 injectors on the engine. As well as the the connections for the coils for the first 6 cylinders of the engine.
Gotcha. I have removed these connections before and did not see any corrosion inside of them. However, I did not spray contact cleaner or put dielectric grease on them. Would that be a good idea?

P.s. Put silicone in the area the drip was coming from just now
Unread 03-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Gotcha. I have removed these connections before and did not see any corrosion inside of them. However, I did not spray contact cleaner or put dielectric grease on them. Would that be a good idea?

P.s. Put silicone in the area the drip was coming from just now
Tomorrow will be a good test of the silicone seal!
Unread 03-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
Jeff1119
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
Tomorrow will be a good test of the silicone seal!
Well i had to remove it because apparently it was not doing anything to hold the water back. Water still found a way in not sure how. What i did do though is wrap the main connectors that water was dripping on with electrical tape a few times
Unread 03-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Well i had to remove it because apparently it was not doing anything to hold the water back. Water still found a way in not sure how. What i did do though is wrap the main connectors that water was dripping on with electrical tape a few times
Is the problem fixed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.