Smokey the 2005 WK 4.7L (Re) Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 236 Old 09-14-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Alright.

Now the fun begins.

The heads showed up today and they look great. I didn't pull them completely out of the packaging but far enough that I could check them out closely. Everything looks brand new, even though these are remanufactured heads. Next steps are to button the bottom back up and tighten the rod caps back down to spec, then start doing the real reassembly.

img_7829.jpg
img_7834.jpg
img_7835.jpg

'06 WK 4.7L V8 4WD | Recently purchased '05 WK 4.7L V8 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 236 Old 09-18-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

I started the rebuild this weekend, made some good progress. I started with the drivers side, cleaning the outsides of the exhaust manifolds and the mating surfaces.

img_7854.jpg

This is how the gasket sits, the two slots on the bottom are there so you can slide it in once you attach the manifold to the head.

img_7856.jpg
img_7860.jpg

Here it is all buttoned up and then with the heat shield on.

img_7862.jpg
img_7866.jpg

This is the new head gasket in place and the head resting on the block. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be to install, although I did climb in to the engine bay to ensure I could set it down softly.

img_7870.jpg
img_7871.jpg

After the lengthy 3-step tightening sequence of all 14 head bolts, I pulled the chain up and rested it on the cam. At this point I removed the rubber band that was holding the chain in place. This is when I installed the two chain guides and tensioner.

img_7874.jpg

I used vice grips on the unused journal (not really sure what the actual name of this area is) to move the pin into position. This was fairly easy to do, and I think only because the lash adjusters are not charged and the cam moves fairly easily. I made sure to cover each cam journal with assembly lube before doing so. You can see the timing chain guides in place here.

img_7880.jpg

This was the end of Saturday, I picked the rest up on Sunday so I placed the valve cover over.

img_7887.jpg

post #48 of 236 Old 09-18-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

On to Sunday, the passenger side.

When I pulled the head out, I found 2 rocker arms had shook loose and were sitting in the head. I was pissed at first then quickly realized it was an easy fix. I had to pick up this little universal spring compressor to gain clearance without forcing the rockers in. Worked like a charm. The blue towel was to prevent scratching the cam journal.

img_7888.jpg
img_7889.jpg

Installation of the exhaust manifold is the same on this side:

img_7899.jpg

Here she sits with both heads on. I found this side slightly harder to install, perhaps because you're battling the A/C hosing and they are not forgiving.

img_7902.jpg

At this point installed the timing chain guides and tensioner, thinking it would work similar to the drivers side. Turns out the guides were no trouble, but I had to remove the tensioner to give up enough slack in the chain to get the gear on the cam. The tensioner was easy enough to reinstall once the chain was in place. Again, I made sure there was assembly lube on the journals before I started turning the cam.

img_7908.jpg
img_7910.jpg

Now I needed to check the timing. With the cam gear bolts finger tight and the bolt back in the crank, I rotated the engine 4 times to make sure my V8's and dimples lined up on all 4 gears. The angles of these photos make it look like the timing is off but the V8's all sit at 12:00 along with the dimples on the idler gear and crank gear at 6:00. Not going to lie though, these photos make me want to redo it all just to be sure. The last thing I want is to have to do this again.

img_7913.jpg
img_7914.jpg
img_7915.jpg

With only a little bit of time left I decided to start on some of the little things. I installed the EGR valve on the back of the driver side head, after reattaching the ground wires on the back of both. Even with just about everything out of the engine those bolts are hard to access. I installed the black plug in the front of the driver side head and the bolt/nob that I believe the A/C condenser mounts to on the passenger side.

This is with the timing chain cover back on at the end of the day... it's starting to look like a real engine again. Next up will probably be the timing chain cover (harmonic balancer seal, water pump, thermostat), then probably the intake manifold and belt driven accessories. One more solid weekend of work and I may have a running engine if all goes well.

img_7918.jpg

post #49 of 236 Old 09-19-2016, 05:00 AM
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Man. Those clean new heads sure are purdy! The timing is definitely the part of the job that I'm most concerned about. Fingers crossed.

I finally got both heads off my '04 this weekend and I too climbed into the engine bay. Haha. I was honestly kind of surprised at their weight. I can't imagine what an iron head must be like! Now I have to remove the fan/radiator and pull the front timing cover. I wanted to get the heads off and to the machine shop before taking the time to do that part of the job. Glad I can keep following in your footsteps when I put it back together.

2007 CRD QDII
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT - hoping it gets bought back!
2004 QD 4.7 GC
2009 Rav4 v6
post #50 of 236 Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix9 View Post
Man. Those clean new heads sure are purdy! The timing is definitely the part of the job that I'm most concerned about. Fingers crossed.

I finally got both heads off my '04 this weekend and I too climbed into the engine bay. Haha. I was honestly kind of surprised at their weight. I can't imagine what an iron head must be like! Now I have to remove the fan/radiator and pull the front timing cover. I wanted to get the heads off and to the machine shop before taking the time to do that part of the job. Glad I can keep following in your footsteps when I put it back together.
You bet, that's why I started taking pics and documenting. If this a learning process for me too, and hopefully I can help someone down the road with these posts.

I think getting the heads out with the timing chain cover still on would be a pain, that upper radiator hose would be right in the way of getting that head out. I understand wanting to get a jump on the machining though. Good luck with the project! Snap a few pics if you can.

post #51 of 236 Old 09-23-2016, 06:33 AM
4xTroy

2002 WJ 

Any updates? You crank that bad boy yet?

I finally got some help getting my new block in. Hoping to fire it up by the end of the weekend!

Jeep Owner for 17 years; Jeep Guy for 4!
'02 Laredo 4.7L / OME HD & Billies / 255/70R17 GG AT2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 236 Old 09-26-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xTroy View Post
Any updates? You crank that bad boy yet?

I finally got some help getting my new block in. Hoping to fire it up by the end of the weekend!
Not yet. I haven't been able to work on it for a couple of weeks, but I plan on chipping away at it this week and get a good amount done this weekend. If all goes well I should be able to turn it over after a good day of work. Gonna hop over to your thread to check out your progress now.

post #53 of 236 Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

It was bothering me too much after looking back at the pictures of the timing marks, so I went out today and redid it. I had to remove and reset the secondary tensioners because they fully extended after I released the chains. No big deal, more of a nuisance than anything else.

This is right before removing the gears and chains.

img_7957.jpg

Here are the gears after re-positioning the chains in the proper locations. All the marks line up and after 2 full rotations of the engine things still look good.

img_7958.jpg
img_7959.jpg
img_7961.jpg

Hopefully Saturday will be a productive one and I can get her started up.

post #54 of 236 Old 09-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

You make this look extremely simple. Which it is to an extent, mostly intimidation. You should post a link to this thread in the WJ section. So many of those guys 4.7 need rebuilds

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
post #55 of 236 Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Started getting things back together yesterday. I feel like I should have gotten more done but I suppose all this is quite time consuming and can take a while.

Next steps were to get the timing cover back together. I started with the crankshaft seal. It was easier than I thought it was going to be, as far as seals go. Here is before and after the removal, and then with a little cleaning up.

img_7966.jpg
img_7967.jpg
img_7969.jpg

I rented a seal driver to get the new seal in place. Be careful when doing this, these seals have a lip in the middle that go around the crankshaft. Don't drive the new seal in too fast or too hard, making sure not to damage that lip.

img_7973.jpg

Next was the thermostat and housing. I used my old photos as reference to get the little breather hole in the right position. The rubber gasket looked pretty capable and did not require RTV, however there were signs the previous (probably the factory original) thermostat was slightly leaking, so I added a very small amount to this one.

img_7977.jpg

New seal and new thermostat installed.

img_7979.jpg

While I still had all the room in the world in the engine bay, I reinstalled the oil filter drip tray and finally got a new oil filter in there. When I was at the auto parts store I picked up an oil pressure sensor. I figured with as much work I've put in so far, $15 was a minimal cost for another piece of mind.

img_7980.jpg
img_7985.jpg
img_7987.jpg

post #56 of 236 Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

The last thing I needed to do before installing the valve covers was to tighten down the camshaft bolts. 90ft/lbs is a little bit of a pain on those small bolts.

img_7991.jpg
img_7992.jpg

The kit came with new rubber grommets for all the screws on the cover. A tedious task but after seeing the condition of some of the old ones, I think it was worth it. Valve cover gaskets were next up.

img_7993.jpg
img_7999.jpg

In the process I noticed the back of the passenger valve cover was cracked in the corner. I'm assuming it's from when the original head cracked off the rocker and put a small hole in the cover. I used some JB Weld on both locations. I think it will have to be replaced, but this should hold for now.

img_8003.jpg
img_8005.jpg
img_8006.jpg

Next I installed the water pump on the valve cover. Similar to the thermostat gasket, I put an extremely small amount of RTV on the water pump gasket because the last one showed small traces of leaking.

img_7970.jpg
img_8007.jpg
img_8009.jpg

post #57 of 236 Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

I installed the timing chain cover next. I forgot to take a picture of it, but the new gasket I have was just like the factory gasket. It was all one-piece and by the looks of the factory install did not require RTV. I did a little research on the forum and elsewhere online and opted to reinstall that same way, only using the provided gasket and no RTV.

Here is the timing chain cover installed using only 1 bolt to hold it in place, then with all 13 bolts in place. 43ft/lbs locks the cover in place, with the same torque setting for all the water pump bolts.

img_8011.jpg
img_8015.jpg

I installed the belt tensioner pulley, oil filler tube and heater core hoses.

img_8017.jpg

The original lower radiator hose has a wire coil inside, I'm assuming so the hose keeps it shape in extreme fluctuating temperatures. I swapped it in to the new hose and installed it.

img_8022.jpg
img_8024.jpg

Today I'm going to get the bottom end back together, intake and all the piping/hosing/connectors back together and if there's time, fire it up.
Mrbirmi likes this.

post #58 of 236 Old 10-02-2016, 01:09 PM
4xTroy

2002 WJ 

Looking awesome man!

I went out for a 10 mile test drive through town, then a couple miles down the highway. Temps and pressure holding good, engine running quite strong.

Tomorrow, I get my exhaust welded back up, then I'll hit the Interstate and see how it does.

Good luck firing it up man!

Jeep Owner for 17 years; Jeep Guy for 4!
'02 Laredo 4.7L / OME HD & Billies / 255/70R17 GG AT2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #59 of 236 Old 10-03-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xTroy View Post
Looking awesome man!

I went out for a 10 mile test drive through town, then a couple miles down the highway. Temps and pressure holding good, engine running quite strong.

Tomorrow, I get my exhaust welded back up, then I'll hit the Interstate and see how it does.

Good luck firing it up man!
Congrats!!
Great news, 4xTroy. Glad you got it all back together and running. Hopefully we can keep this wave of good luck moving along and mine will fire up just like yours. I got some more work done yesterday however a few snags prevented me from getting it started. I plan on posting the pics later today. Just a couple things left to button up and I'll be able to turn it over.

Congrats again!!

post #60 of 236 Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Finally I have a little time to post the progress from Sunday:

Here is the top and bottom view of the intake manifold after a bit of a cleaning. Then you'll see the old oily intake gaskets next to the new ones, and the new throttle body gasket.

img_8019.jpg
img_8029.jpg
img_8030.jpg

Here's the intake in place. It was almost a puzzle to figure out how it went back in without removing that crossbar. Made me scratch my head for a minute but I promise you it fits just fine:

img_8032.jpg

With the intake on I attached the EGR tube. The kit came with a new gasket for both ends.

img_8034.jpg
img_8035.jpg

After a little cleaning of the throttle body and gentle cleaning of the IAC valve, the whole throttle body assembly went on.

img_8038.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.