Smoke under hood - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Smoke under hood

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
r_p
2005 WK 

Smoke under hood

Hello

Bought a used WK (~75K miles) a few days back. Since then I have been noticing a weird smell and then yesterday I saw white smoke coming from under the hood.

The source of the smoke is the driver side. I am fairly sure its not the engine (clear exhaust, no leaking coolant etc.) or the heater core (no leaks inside AFAIK) or even a stuck caliper (dealer did work on brakes before selling the vehicle to me).

It appears that the smoke is come from the steering joint which is pretty close to the heat shield as shown in the picture or something below it. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? The steering does feel tight but then it is my first Jeep and I have nothing to compare too.

The vehicle did come with a short term dealer warranty so I will have it checked soon. Would it be safe to drive until then?

Here are two images that show the source of the smoke (the 2nd one is the close up view).

Thanks in advance.

r_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
ggt1_02
2010 WK 

I saw this post when I was looking for a solution to the same issue. My jeep will randomly emit white smoke from under the hood near the fire wall, usually while sitting at a traffic light. It is not always the same amount (my recent thought is that the amount of smoke coincides with an oil change more smoke after then tapering off). I have searched high and low thinking it was an electrical issue and have had it in to the dealership with no results they actually told me it was a piece of plastic road debris on the exhaust. While poking around late last week I noticed that the gasket on the valve cover has a leak on the lower right nut. The oil is leaking onto the exhaust directly below it. I hope this helps, I plan on calling the dealership to see if it is warrantied, if not it doesn't look to difficult to get to.
ggt1_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
r_p
2005 WK 

Sorry for not following up. Yes it was the valve cover which had a small leak.
r_p is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.