Smoke coming from turbo. Need help. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By underscore

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
DieselDiver

Smoke coming from turbo. Need help.

I own a 2007 WK with 200,987 miles. I have been noticing for the past month since a oil and transmission fluid change that there was a bit of smoke coming from around the turbo. I had read that if I did not use the recommended synthetic oil that it may cause issues with the turbo. I have a GDE tune with swirl motor and dpf delete. I may have mistakingly thought that I could use any diesel synthetic oil for my WK. Might be my first problem.
When I changed the transmission fluid I did not have the proper dipstick thermometer tool. I measured how much fluid came out and replaced the same amount with a few more ounces added. This might be my second problem.
Everything seemed to be fine for a few weeks while driving locally. Until I had to take it for a longer trip. I travel for work and on a 1000 mile road trip I started to notice that there was a significant lack of power half way into my trip. The cruise control started to constantly upshift on small hills. Then I stopped for diesel for my second fill up, after pumping and going in to pay. I came out to a cab full of oil smoke and a small amount of smoke coming under the hood near the windshield. The fan for the A/C was on but the vehicle was not running. I popped the hood and noticed the smoke was coming from where the turbo was, and it was getting sucked into the air intake for the cabin.
My problem I am I am trying to figure out is whether it is the turbo or the transmission? Or could it be both? The vehicle goes fine down a flat road. Any type of incline it will lose speed, it also accelerates very slowly. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I live this jeep and want it running perfect again. Even if that means I have to replace the turbo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

First off I'd check that your trans fluid is at the correct level. Second I'd track down exactly where the smoke is coming from, if you have the engine cover and foam bits still on I'd suggest taking them off so you can see things better. The CCV is right near the turbo and deals with hot oil vapour/smoke, so if the seal in that (or any part of that system, from the engine through the CCV, through the hoses and back to the intake before the turbo) is starting to leak you'll get a lot of smelly smoke and probably power loss since that will be a post-meter intake leak and you'll be pulling in unmetered air.
Chirpz likes this.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #3 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Ditto to all that Underscore said. You really must pin down the source better and the first place to look has to do with the CCV. Have you done the elephant hose mod, or cache can, or in some way dealt with the flow of oil from CCV into the turbo? If not, then oil could be dripping from the seal right at the turbo intake. The "EHM" or "cache can" takes care of that.

You cannot use just any oil, you still have to meet the spec... but the spec is now lower. An easy way to meet it is to run Shell Rotella T6. You can get it at Walmart and many other places. But I don't think have the wrong oil would cause the smoking. Its got to be a leak.

Another possibility would be an injector seal leak (I've got one). If you had such a leak on #6 it may cause smoke to appear near the turbo. You hear a chuffing sound coming from the base of the injector and there will eventually be a build up of black goo around the base of the injector that will continue to spread. It smokes, and stinks. IF you have the engine cover on, you may not hear the chuffing and cannot see the goo.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
DieselDiver

New update-more problems

I noticed that the ccv gasket was not sealing properly and think that is where the oil is coming from. So I went ahead and did the elephant hose mod. Used a water free solvent to clean up all the cached up oil around the turbo and top of the engine.
I noticed that the aluminum pipe coming from the inter cooler was loose. Is there supposed to be a gasket in between that pipe and the turbo? Someone has taken this apart and not replaced everything properly. But this is not part of my problems right now.
So I did the elephant hose mod. I disconnected the battery before I started the work. Took the intake pipe out, cleaned and plugged the ccv port with aluminum plug from a kit I got online. Disconnected the sensor/burnplate that goes into the ccv port, cleaned the oil off of that. Reconnected and placed near the turbo as instructed. Then I ran the new hose from the ccv down the fender and down towards the exhaust.
I thought I did everything correct and did not disconnect anything except the battery and that sensor. Which I plugged/connected both while putting it all together. I try to start the Jeep, and it just turns over. Then the red lightning bolt of doom starts to flash.. I run a scan with my GDE flash/tune tool and I get the following codes.

P 2264 - Water in fuel sensor(put in a new filter to try and fix this one)
P 0489 - Exhaust gas recirculation A control circuit low
P 053b - Positive crankcase ventilation heater control circuit low
P 0628 - Fuel pump A control circuit low
P 0045 - Turbo charger boost control
P 0646 - A/C clutch relay circuit low voltage
B 1138 - Air conditioning pressure sensor
P 0473 - Exhaust pressure sensor high input
P 0607 - Engine control module

I listed them as they on on the scanning tool. Any help here would be greatly appreciated as this is my daily driver. I have checked every connection I can get my hands on. I cant believe that every sensor listed went bad at the same time
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2017, 02:16 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
That seems like a low battery or ECM issue. These things go full retard when the battery isn't just right. There is an o ring for the intercooler pipe. It doesn't sit in the very smartly. Definitely should not be loose. There is also a bolt to hold it in place near the fuel filter

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
That seems like a low battery or ECM issue. These things go full retard when the battery isn't just right. There is an o ring for the intercooler pipe. It doesn't sit in the very smartly. Definitely should not be loose. There is also a bolt to hold it in place near the fuel filter
Ditto all of this! It is very easy to destroy that o-ring. Perhaps the last person to remove that pipe did so. I destroyed mine first time I took it off.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.