SmartBeam Survey - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > SmartBeam Survey

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
smartbeam

SmartBeam Survey

Does anyone use the SmartBeam feature by Gentex on the new Grand Cherokees (and other DCX vehicles)?

I am interested in how well this system works and if there are any complaints about it. If you use the system and feel that it works perfectly, please also comment that you are satisfied.

Thanks,
Steve

smartbeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Harts2k

Completely satisfied.
Harts2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
LordGriNz

It works 'ok' but I dont like it when driving thru corners, it just doesnt work well
there. It would have been better to have the sensor turn when the car does so
that it would actually be looking in the direction of travel. Basically if it cant see
the other cars headlights then they wont click down to low beam.
LordGriNz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

I agree with Lord and those windy road conditions are where you usually need the highbeams the most. Also I don't like that it turns off the fog lights when switching to highbeams. I know most DCX vehicles with factory fogs do that but it is annoying none the less.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
S2WOOOW

I don't use it for the same reason stated above.
S2WOOOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 01:06 AM   #6
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I use it and love it. It's nice to have consistent visibility regardless of the ambient lighting conditions.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
wkearney99
2006 WK 

I've got in my WK and it's great. If you're on windy roads then it may be worth using just the low beam control of it. That way it'll still turn them off/on automagically under normal driving and leave you in control of the high beams.

But in the limited number of times I've driven it on windy roads I've found it's reasonably good at dipping the high beams as necessary. Bear in mind, it fades the lights, it's not just cutting them on/off. So it's probably a lot less annoying to the other drivers than you might think.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
Podedwards
2007 JK Wrangler 

Smart Beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbeam
Does anyone use the SmartBeam feature by Gentex on the new Grand Cherokees (and other DCX vehicles)?

I am interested in how well this system works and if there are any complaints about it. If you use the system and feel that it works perfectly, please also comment that you are satisfied.

Thanks,
Steve

I have it on my 2006 Grand Cherokee-works great-no problems-love it!
Podedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
smartbeam

Thanks guys, this helps a lot... if anyone has anything to add please do... I'm trying to get a lot of opinions on the system.
smartbeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
JeepySteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
Also I don't like that it turns off the fog lights when switching to highbeams. I know most DCX vehicles with factory fogs do that but it is annoying none the less.
I Love It!

BTW, it's a law or DOT requirement that the fog lights shut off when high beams are in use.
Unread 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
Baron58

I have it on my 07 Commander. I was skeptical at first but it works very well, up until the system failed at 4 months since new. Still waiting for the dealer to fix it.
Baron58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2007, 05:11 AM   #12
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Use it, love it.

Just hate that the fogs go off.... oncoming drivers probably think we're idiots.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
JWLJeep

Works correctly about 50% of the time. It typically changes in town on side streets or on one-way streets. I wish you could set the lights on automatic and turn the smartbeam feature off. I just don't really have a need for it as it's too unreliable. But, I want the headlights to be automatic.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.7L Hemi in Bright Silver

Bloomington-Normal, IL
JWLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLJeep
Works correctly about 50% of the time. It typically changes in town on side streets or on one-way streets. I wish you could set the lights on automatic and turn the smartbeam feature off. I just don't really have a need for it as it's too unreliable. But, I want the headlights to be automatic.
You can. Leave the main headlight switch on auto, and disable smartbeam (called automatic high beams IIRC) in the EVIC
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
JWLJeep

I did that but it didn't seem to do anything! It's been quite a while so I will go back through that and try again.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.7L Hemi in Bright Silver

Bloomington-Normal, IL
JWLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.