JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Slight Shudder around 40mph (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/slight-shudder-around-40mph-339940/)

IMFLASH 11-15-2006 06:34 PM

Slight Shudder around 40mph

I looked but didn't find a post on my minor problem with my 05 Wk. Right around 40 to 43 mph I have a slight shudder in the vehicle. Maybe it could be the tires, but I don't know. Still have the stock nastys on the WK. Has anyone ran into this same problem with the Grand Cherokees or Commanders? It has 25,000 miles on it and my Tire Pressure Sensor light KEEPS coming on. What a pain in the you know what!!!

KingPrat 11-15-2006 08:53 PM

I believe the shudder and the tire pressure light issues are unrelated.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but which engine do you have?

There is a TSB turned RECALL on '05 WKs with the 3.7 V6 and the NAG1 tranny. The filler tube seal is bad, and allows water to seep into the tranny. The shudder comes from the partial engagement of the torque converter. This can happen with only a slight (0.05%) concentration of water in the ATF. (Vehicles built prior to June 3, 2005) Happens around 3rd and 4th gear. Right around 40mph :thumbsup:

Unless you have a V8 then you can disregard all of what I just said :laugh:

If in fact you DO have a V6, go talk to your dealer!!

Please check out www.wkjeeps.com it's a great resource and a ton of time has gone into the forming of the website. Amazing resource

IMFLASH 11-16-2006 05:50 AM

Shudder around 40ish mph

We have the 4.7 motor in our WK. I know that the shudder and the tires are unrelated, I was just bringing up the fact that the stupid light keeps coming on. The shudder is around 42 to 43 mph or 1400 rpms. I just wonder if anyone has heard of or experienced this shudder before.

Tispco 11-17-2006 08:49 PM

I have the exact same problem with my 4.7 (and it is very annoying) From some other threads I have read and the transmission mechanic at my dealership, the engine is shuttering / lugging because it is already in 5th gear and engine is bogged down. Supposedly it shifts to 5th early for fuel economy. This is the same as shifting a manual transmission car to 5th gear at a low speed and stepping on the gas. It doesn't go anywhere and it shutters. On the thread I looked at, they suggested running in 4th gear under 45 mph instead of D. When it is annoying me too much, I have been hitting the Tow/Haul button. It seems to be a common problem that I am disappointed Jeep has not addressed.

IMFLASH 11-19-2006 09:32 AM

Shudder around 40 mph

Sounds like exactly what is going on with mine. Now that you say "5th gear" that does make sense. What exactly does the tow/haul do? My guess would be to drop it down into 4th gear, which would be the same as shifting it on the fly right?
Anyways it is very annoying and hopefully Jeep does issue the problem.

Tispco 11-19-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMFLASH
What exactly does the tow/haul do? My guess would be to drop it down into 4th gear, which would be the same as shifting it on the fly right?

Pressing the Tow/Haul button drops the trtansmission to 4th and the lugging is gone. I find it is faster to just hit the button and end the annoyance. It is similar to shifting on the fly to 4th, but the tow/haul button also slightly modifies shift points between 3rd and 4th and adjusts shifting to keep the transmission cool. I would do whichever you find easier.

The time now is 04:08 AM.