Silverblades on a Commander? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Silverblades on a Commander?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
hinchcliffe

Silverblades on a Commander?

Couldn't find a picture. I assume its been done? I think I need to space slightly for caliper clearance?

Unread 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

From a WJ? I might be wrong, but I think you don't need a spacer
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
kookoo102
2013 WK 

Would be nice to see if there are any other fatory jeep rims on an XK?... Ruibicons would be interesting to see I think.
Able to get a set for $200 locally (5 rims)... just cant figure if they would look good or not.
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
hinchcliffe

I had Moab's, tried them on and they would work with the 1/4" spacer. But the lines of the wheels just didn't look right with the straightlines of the XK.
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
hinchcliffe

So they fit great. Slightly close to the rotor top edge so i spaced them with two 1/32" washers per lug bolt. Work great and look pretty good I think especially for snow traction for a happy wife.

Remember Happy Wife, Happy life.
img_20131224_140144_750.jpg   img_20131224_140200_101.jpg   img_20131224_140154_479.jpg  
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Washers on lug bolts?? Please take them off. Thats incredibly unsafe.

If you need to space them 1/8" get a wheel spacer. The washers dont achieve the same clamp force or load distribution.
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18
Washers on lug bolts?? Please take them off. Thats incredibly unsafe. If you need to space them 1/8" get a wheel spacer. The washers dont achieve the same clamp force or load distribution.
X2!! Bora makes a good 1" spacer that you could use.
Unread 12-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
nocojeep
2006 WK 

Happy wife happy life until her wheel falls off! Get those washers off of there, that is super sketchy. If they clear the brakes even by a millimeter without any spacers then there is no need for them, not to mention that is extremely dangerous. Even plate spacers that don't bolt on to the hub are ghetto
nocojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
hinchcliffe

The clamping force of the lug is where? At the bolt and area around it correct? Most of the area on the hub face of the wheel is open correct? Never had issues doing this before. Wheels falling off, come on the lugs are correctly torqued. They are 1-1/4" diameter fender washers and its a 1/2" lug bolt. Just put about 1200 miles on them this past week and no issues. At 1/16" they are thin enough to keep the wheel on the center bore also.
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
caulk04
2008 WK 

Glad I don't travel to New York...

Too many surfaces in there to slide about which can very easily work the wheel loose.

If you're OK with it, be my guest but, don't come back here when your wheel(s) fall off.
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

We're just trying to keep you safe, do what you want. Just remember to tell the insurance company you used washers as a spacer
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinchcliffe View Post
The clamping force of the lug is where? At the bolt and area around it correct? Most of the area on the hub face of the wheel is open correct? Never had issues doing this before. Wheels falling off, come on the lugs are correctly torqued. They are 1-1/4" diameter fender washers and its a 1/2" lug bolt. Just put about 1200 miles on them this past week and no issues. At 1/8" they are thin enough to keep the wheel on the center bore also.
There're more to wheel design and load distribution than you're aware of. Even the ridges of those "open areas" is supporting load and resisting bending when cornering, as long as its flush against the hub surface like it's supposed to be.

What you're doing is not safe, period.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
hinchcliffe

Is there proof anywhere? i haven't found any proof that washers are bad on a hub centered wheel. Its a 1/16" total spacing and hub centered what am I missing. In my searches I see people asking the same question and others answering the same way, but no proof of this causing a problem.

Now on lug centered wheels, yes understand. Thick washers that take the wheel off the hub, yes no good. But I'm centered on the hub and the lugs are torqued. At 1/16" of spacing on a 1/2"-20 thread I'm just over one less turn of the lug nut also.

I'm a reasonable person so I'll remove them later today, but can anyone prove that this would cause an issue. The hub center is ~1/4" long and figure a bit of the end is tapered. Also anything over an 1/8" spacing I would say longer studs are required, i would venture to say at least a a 1/2" of thread engagement is required, or 10 turns minimum
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

You can buy/download some of the SAE wheel specs and read though the load test requirements that wheels must pass and get an idea of how important full hub contact is. You can call tech support for any wheel manufacturer and ask them if its safe to use washers on the back of their wheels.

conversely, is there proof anywhere that what you're doing IS safe?

Wheel spacers aren't expensive; do it right and worry less
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinchcliffe View Post
Is there proof anywhere? i haven't found any proof that washers are bad on a hub centered wheel. Its a 1/16" total spacing and hub centered what am I missing. In my searches I see people asking the same question and others answering the same way, but no proof of this causing a problem.

Now on lug centered wheels, yes understand. Thick washers that take the wheel off the hub, yes no good. But I'm centered on the hub and the lugs are torqued. At 1/16" of spacing on a 1/2"-20 thread I'm just over one less turn of the lug nut also.

I'm a reasonable person so I'll remove them later today, but can anyone prove that this would cause an issue. The hub center is ~1/4" long and figure a bit of the end is tapered. Also anything over an 1/8" spacing I would say longer studs are required, i would venture to say at least a a 1/2" of thread engagement is required, or 10 turns minimum
You are creating a potentially hazardous situation for that happy wife.

Without getting into a physics lesson, let's figure the surface contact area of a direct rim to hub mount versus putting washers between the two.

The reduction of contact area has a direct effect on the amount of friction between the rim and hub, effectively allowing a torsional "twist".

With any threaded connection, torsional rigidity (which is achieved through friction and pressure) is paramount.

Losing that rigidity or lessening it in any way creates a very weak link in what is a precisely designed chain, purpose-built to transfer torque to the ground.

You are also greatly increasing the stress on each lug, especially during heavy acceleration and braking.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.