Which side wheel bearing is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Which side wheel bearing is it?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
gemiller
Vrooom.

2008 WK 

Which side wheel bearing is it?

I'm fairly sureI've gained a bad wheel bearing. The occasional clunk, and a consistent whine at 40-70mph. The whine goes away when turning fairly hard right (vehicle load on the left side). I tried rotating the tires and the problem does not reverse or change. However with the vehicle on the lift I can't seem to feel any play up front anywhere. Is it more likely that it's the right side and that the right hand turn unloads it to quiet it down or vice versa? They are awfully pricey to just buy two since it appears i'm stuck buying the whole hub.

2008 WK Red Rock Crystal Pearl CRD || OME HD | 285/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armor | Cobra NW 29 Black Edition | Aspen Creek CB Mount & Switch Panel | OTRATTW Switches | Rola Rack | KC Long Range Hi-Lighters | AEV EGR | Aspen Creek Hood Light Mounts
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Pine Grove, PA? Where's that at?

I'd venture to say that it's the right side bearing. I have seen them act the opposite way though on occasion.
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
JKM
2005 WK 

If one is going, then the other is probably not far behind. Suggest replacing both and be done with it. RockAuto has good pricing on the Timken units
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
If one is going, then the other is probably not far behind. Suggest replacing both and be done with it. RockAuto has good pricing on the Timken units
x2, replacing both is the best way to do it.
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have?
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

I would say right also.My left one went out I got a new timken from Rock auto easy to change all one unit with the abs sensor.On some sites there is a discount code that will say you 5% or take a copy of price lots of Autopart stores price match saves a lot of money.
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
gemiller
Vrooom.

2008 WK 

Only 60k, which is what's depressing about it. Lift was put on about 10k miles ago. Pine Grove is north east of Harrisburg (im about 5-10 min from rausch creek offroad park). The only thing I can think of that maybe caused the early failure is a lot of water exposure. It's been in many fairly deep water environments well over the wheels, theres even a picture somewhere here of me grill deep. Every other weekend or so at the cabin it crosses two wheel deep creeks, etc.
2008 WK Red Rock Crystal Pearl CRD || OME HD | 285/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armor | Cobra NW 29 Black Edition | Aspen Creek CB Mount & Switch Panel | OTRATTW Switches | Rola Rack | KC Long Range Hi-Lighters | AEV EGR | Aspen Creek Hood Light Mounts
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
eprovenzano
2005 WK 

My passenger side went bad (100,000 miles) so I bought one for each side. I replaced the passenger side, and as soon as time permits, I'll replace the drive side.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemiller View Post
Only 60k, which is what's depressing about it. Lift was put on about 10k miles ago. Pine Grove is north east of Harrisburg (im about 5-10 min from rausch creek offroad park). The only thing I can think of that maybe caused the early failure is a lot of water exposure. It's been in many fairly deep water environments well over the wheels, theres even a picture somewhere here of me grill deep. Every other weekend or so at the cabin it crosses two wheel deep creeks, etc.
I could see this. On my old Jeep (2007 Patriot) I drove the snot out of it during 2010's "Snowmageddon". As soon as the snow melted, by wheel bearings were shot.
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
gemiller
Vrooom.

2008 WK 

Front right was beat to heck, loose as could be, grinding and no resistance. Front left was just dandy but they are both new now anyway.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.