post #1 of Old 07-14-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Jeeper88103
2006 WK 

Side Mirror Rattle (WK Grand Cherokee)

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I've recently noted that both side mirrors are rattling when the music is turned up.

I've searched and cannot find any information on the construction of the mirror assembly. It appears that there are two main black plastic parts. One contains the mirror itself and fits inside the other. This is where the rattle is coming from; the inner part is loose inside the outer part and rattling.

Has anyone had this problem? I'd like to find out how (if possible) to take the assembly apart and maybe use some double-sided foam tape to get rid of the rattle between the two pieces.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

post #2 of Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Just the mirror glass or the entire mirror?

The glass just clips in. Both of mine are missing a couple clips due to mishaps with animals and, ahem, garage doors so they rattle a bit extra. Depending on whether you have heated mirrors and/or tinting mirrors, they can be rather cheap to replace the glass. I think mine (heated and tinting) are around 50-60 a piece.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #3 of Old 07-14-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Jeeper88103
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Just the mirror glass or the entire mirror?

The glass just clips in. Both of mine are missing a couple clips due to mishaps with animals and, ahem, garage doors so they rattle a bit extra. Depending on whether you have heated mirrors and/or tinting mirrors, they can be rather cheap to replace the glass. I think mine (heated and tinting) are around 50-60 a piece.
No, the entire mirror, like the black plastic parts; there is a line around the mirror where the two pieces come together. The inner piece (that also goes around the mirror glass) fits inside the outer piece and is rattling.

I have heated and auto-dimming mirrors.

Maybe I'll try to take the glass off and see if I can get the two pieces apart...
post #4 of Old 07-14-2015, 12:04 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Ok, I seem to recall mine was loose after my run-in with the door frame on the garage and I stuck a screw in there somewhere...lol. Hokey sounding but you can't see inside so you can't tell a difference.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #5 of Old 07-17-2015, 11:59 AM
JakeWK

2005 WK 

I'd was also looking for info on how to remove the side mirror assembly, like the black housing part.. I didn't see anything in my manuals or google..
post #6 of Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWK View Post
I'd was also looking for info on how to remove the side mirror assembly, like the black housing part.. I didn't see anything in my manuals or google..
Just a guess - but there are likely screws/bolts holding the mirror housing assembly to the door that are accessible by removing interior door panel trim.

Tags
grand cherokee , mirror , rattle , side mirror , wk