Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Shuddering sensation at highway speed, u-joint?

542 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rutro 
#1 ·
I got a 2006 Jeep WK limit 5.7L. I just replaced the rear end and thought this was symptom related to a bad differential pinion. A lot of symptoms went away, but I wonder now if this one is a separate issue. Perhaps u joints.

At highway speed, say 65MPH, and with just the right RPMs to maintain that speed (say 1900 or whatever), there is a jolting sensation running through the vehicle like train cars banging into each other. If I let off the gas and let it coast, it goes away.

This happens at any speed. It's just worse at high speed. I haven't driven it much to avoid this growing into something bigger. The driveline feels sturdy and intact, but it's like when the ratio of speed and power are just right, I get that back-and-forth shuddering.

#2 ·
When the shutter is happening have you tried shifting into 4th gear? Do so by shifting the gear lever over to the left or hitting the Tow button. Any change when you try this?

So is it speed related or RPM related? How are your tires? An out of balance tire can cause shaking at only certain speeds.

#4 ·
If your u-joints are failing it's typically a vibration when the drive line is not under a load.
Lets say your driving down the road at 55 MPH, You let off the pedal slightly so your coasting but NOT decelerating. If you feel the vibration then it's the U joints. The vibration will lessen or go away when accelerating or decelerating. That's typically what failing U-Joints will do.

#5 ·
You replaced rear end. What did you do about brakes? I have a parking brake problem that I would have described like that if I had thought about it. But it's intermittent, I don't know but it could become constant if they were far enough out of adjustment. Feel of the wheel hub after driving but be careful mine gets hot enough to take hide off, if it is parking brake they will be hot, or one of them will, mine is drivers side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.