shredded serpentine on a CRD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > shredded serpentine on a CRD

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojomoto View Post
My 07 GC CDR just shredded its serpentine and had to be towed to the dealer. The dealer claims Water pump pulley is stiff and rigid. They think it may have temporarily locked up. The bearing on water pump doesn't spin freely. All other pulleys are ok. Serpentine belt is shredded and belt material is wrapped around one of the pulleys. The idler pulley is pitted and a small chunk missing and Front crank shaft seal may be broken. Front of engine is covered in oil.

Their diagnosis for parts is
New belt
New belt tensioner
Crank shaft oil seal
Water pump
Idler pulley

has anyone else ever experienced this problem? The Jeep has about 70,000 miles?
Shredded? That's crazy. As a part of regular maintenance, everyone should always check their belts (and rubber hoses). If they are dried and/or cracked they should be replaced immediately.

Granted, if the pump pulley ceased, this could easily happen even with a brand new belt.

2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
jediknight
2008 WK 

Anyone has part number for this belt ?
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
JeepCK
2009 WK 

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_serpentine.htm

You should be able to find it here.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Best price I found: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
jediknight
2008 WK 

For those who has access CT is selling it 44+tx. Its made by good year and its a gator type belt. I've just installed it. I'll report if any problem.
image-4111437900.jpg

image-3717751631.jpg

Unread 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
wojomoto
2007 WK 

Well, I got the Jeep back from the Dealer and it cost $1800. I also received all of the old parts back and it seems that the belt just came apart in small bands that wrapped around everything. The belt was only one year old and had 12,000 miles on it. One interesting thing to note is prior to the problem whenever the steering wheel was turned completely in one direction it made a kind of gurgling sound and a little jerky feedback through the wheel. Not a squeal but a strange noise. Now after the repairs there is no sound at all and the steering is very smooth.
The other strange thing was the leaky front crankshaft gasket. Has anyone else had this problem? The oil never made it to the floor of the garage and just built up in the plastic under motor shield. I will try to remove the shredded belt from the water pump but it seems that it wasn't the problem.
wojomoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojomoto View Post
Well, I got the Jeep back from the Dealer and it cost $1800. I also received all of the old parts back and it seems that the belt just came apart in small bands that wrapped around everything. The belt was only one year old and had 12,000 miles on it. One interesting thing to note is prior to the problem whenever the steering wheel was turned completely in one direction it made a kind of gurgling sound and a little jerky feedback through the wheel. Not a squeal but a strange noise. Now after the repairs there is no sound at all and the steering is very smooth.
so the dealer did all the items from your original list below?
New belt
New belt tensioner
Crank shaft oil seal
Water pump
Idler pulley
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #23
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Now if I could only figure out what keeps causing my belts to fail prematurely.... 3 belts in 9 months, I get around 5000KMS out of a belt then it starts squealing. All pulleys turn freely, I suspect one may be crooked. Does anyone have a picture of the front of the power steering pump area where it mounts to the engine? In particular I'm interested in seeing the area just above the tensioner. There appears to be a mounting lug there but mine is filled with some type of putty. I'm wondering if there was a bolt there and it either broke off or stripped and previous owner tried to cover it up?? If anyone has a schematic or can take a picture it would be appreciated.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the front of the power steering pump area where it mounts to the engine? In particular I'm interested in seeing the area just above the tensioner. There appears to be a mounting lug there but mine is filled with some type of putty. I'm wondering if there was a bolt there and it either broke off or stripped and previous owner tried to cover it up?? If anyone has a schematic or can take a picture it would be appreciated.
post up a picture of the area you want to see and I will post a picture of the same area on my engine.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I found the problem. Sure enough a bolt is missing, it was snapped off by some other bad mechanic job. Worst part is the previous owner told me she had EVERYTHING done by the dealer, even the oil changes. Cant trust anyone these days.... I wedged a bolt in place temporarily to keep the pump located in proper location to retain belt tension. Now I have to figure out how to drill out the old bolt and thread a new one in.
It seems there is only 2 bolts holding the power steering pump in place, can anyone confirm this? jediknight? I cant see around the side / rear to see if there is a third bolt.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
Dark_Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight
For those who has access CT is selling it 44+tx. Its made by good year and its a gator type belt. I've just installed it. I'll report if any problem.
I just got the same belt on sale for $35! Had any problems with it?
Dark_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
zc911

what kind of noise would the belt make if it was done for? It is a squeel or a whine?
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Star

I just got the same belt on sale for $35! Had any problems with it?
No problem ... So far so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.