Should Water Pump be replaced before failing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Should Water Pump be replaced before failing?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
lamboworld

Should Water Pump be replaced before failing?

I have 102k on the clock on my 2005 5.7 and I have a small leak at the thermostat. I plan on switching out the thermostat and completing a coolant flush and I was wondering if it makes sense to replace the Water Pump at the same time.

Last edited by lamboworld; 02-15-2014 at 05:44 AM..
lamboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Unless it's causing you issues, no. Check for leaks around the pump housing and listen for any whining. As long as your coolant has been changed during the recommended guidelines, the pump should be fine. Make sure you use HOAT coolant.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
VulcanWDE
2007 WK 

I would change it. I've had two Ram 5.7's and both had water pump failures. One was at 88K miles and the other was close to 100k. Maintenance was done by the book. Much better to change it in a controlled environment than to be stranded on the side of road somewhere as happened to me
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoFx View Post
Unless it's causing you issues, no. Check for leaks around the pump housing and listen for any whining. As long as your coolant has been changed during the recommended guidelines, the pump should be fine. Make sure you use HOAT coolant.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanWDE View Post
I would change it. I've had two Ram 5.7's and both had water pump failures. One was at 88K miles and the other was close to 100k. Maintenance was done by the book. Much better to change it in a controlled environment than to be stranded on the side of road somewhere as happened to me
I'm on the fence with this. I agree with both posts. Why change a working part? Well, in this case, the tstat is being swapped, the coolant is getting drained, and a water pump isn't expensive. At 102K miles it could be on the verge of failure. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put a new one in while the other maintenance items are being addressed - it will not be as easy or convenient down the road.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I say do it all at once, change the pump on your terms versus failure down the road. Consider your lost time and inconvenience when it does go out.
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I'd definitely change it, especially with that many miles on it. Heck, I changed mine on my Hemi WK at about 62000 miles when I changed the cam. I didn't change it on my Hemi LX though, when I did the cam change on it at about 50000 miles. It's much easier to do the job when you're already into and around the area. Nothing I hate worse than getting stranded somewhere. The good news though is that they usually don't fail without some warning.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
lamboworld

I was thinking that if I am going to the trouble of replacing the coolant and switching out the Tstat then why not replace the water pump. I am afraid that I will get 5k down the road and the have to replace it and waste the new coolant that I just replaced. I guess that I will go ahead and replace it. I have had good luck with Omix-ADA parts in the past and I am replacing the OEM Tstat with their part and I wanted to see if anyone has used their Water Pump. http://www.omix-ada.com/water-pump-5...erokee-wk.html

I can get is from Amazon for $122 shipped.
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

I would just change it, mine didn't even make it to 80,000 and the last thing you want is for it to completely fail far from home.

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
xSoFx
2006 WK 

I've personally never had a water pump fail in a vehicle I've ever owned. Although, I'm very meticulous about maintenance and no one does it but myself. Maybe I just get lucky?

Who am I to talk anyway, I purposely buy vehicles with problems just so I can fix them. I even work on friends' vehicles for the fun of it.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

Preventative maintenance is better than spending '000's more fixing it after the fact. If anything it gives piece of mind!
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
tbmatthews82
2007 WK 

If you change it with an OEM pump, and you do the gasket right, you could only benefit from it. If the old one looks good enough, you could always keep it as a short term spare. The hard part is draining the system, and if that's getting done anyway, why not?
tbmatthews82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
tom19511
2006 WK 

If you can afford it, go ahead. An ounce of prevention.. bla. bla..bla... LOL
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Jeep Brian

Your going in pretty deep, so change it! Plus Murphy's Law says if you don'y change it, it will leak next week!!

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
lamboworld

Well I got some good news today. I took my Jeep into our local dealership because it would not go into 4WD lo, power steering making noise and dash lights occasionally flashing on and off. I got a call from my service rep and my warranty company is going to pay for the following:

1. New transfer case motor - 4wd low worked prior to the N23 recall.
2. New Power Steering pump and high pressure line
3. New light stalk
4. The best news of all, they found that my water pump was leaking and they are going to replace my water pump and thermostat.

I generally never buy warranties but this one has paid off. My warranty company has probably paid 7k worth of warranty work on my JGC. I would highly recommend Route 66 is you are going to get a car warranty. I believe that you can only purchase it through a credit union and I purchased mine through penfed.org https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty

They best thing about this warranty is that they do not inspect your vehicle prior to purchase and they also do not have a deductible. You pay taxes on parts instead. They have never questioned any of the work that was recommended.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.