Should I buy a Commander ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Should I buy a Commander ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
RockyF

Should I buy a Commander ?

Hey I have been lurking and reading for a few weeks now. I have a 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser Iam currently debating trading it in for a Commander. It will cost me nothing and be an even swap. I have been reading and it is the stalling that really has me concerned seeing I drive from NY to GA probably at least 6 times a year if not more. Im looking at a fully loaded 4x4 limited Hemi. I was wondering what you guys think ? The main reason I want to get rid of the FJ is it is just a little too small and Im getting barely 14mpg. I figure if Im going to get that low why not drive something a bit more luxurious. All input would be appreciated. I really like the car alot but reliability is a major thing and I want to feel safe on the road. Seeing Im on it so much.

RockyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
JeepFreak91

I dont think the hemis are the ones that are stalling. I think its either all the regular v-8s or just mainly the v-8s without the hemis
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Cellar Dwellar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not ALL the V8's. I have a 65th Aniversary Edition with a V8 and it has not had any trouble with stalling. My neighbor also has a 65th with a V8 and I don't think he has had the issue either.
Cellar Dwellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
JeepFreak91

sorry for the hijack but Cellar Dweller how many miles do you have on your commander? We have just about 30,000 and we have had it stall about 8 times.
Unread 08-19-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Cellar Dwellar
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mine is new. I have only had it a couple months, but have taken it on a couple road trips of aroung 1000 miles. My wife also drives it to work every day through city traffic.

Right now it has about 5000.

But now you're making me nervous. For those that have stalling...did it start happening right away, or did it show up with a little age?

Last edited by Cellar Dwellar; 08-19-2006 at 07:48 AM..
Cellar Dwellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
JeepFreak91

its hard to tell. it happens randomly with no warning.
Unread 08-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
RockyF

Well I went to the dealership today.... The lady was totally honest. She told me there is a very serious problem with all commanders. And that a women bought brand new and has gone through 4 of them and just returned the 4th one and is dealing with Chrysler directly now. She told me it would not be a wise choice to get one and tryed to show me a fully loaded Grand with hemi and all options. Im honestly not sure what Iam going to do now but a Commander is definetly out of the cards for the time being.
RockyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
JeepFreak91

I didnt think the Hemis had problems. The dealership here is completely clueless on what to do.
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
wpa4147

Well the truth is a Commander drives great and is very stable on the road. We drove ours from Texas to VA and back to TX. Nice drive. Averaged about 18 mpg. However the stalling is a problem. Mine has died only once but hesitates quite often and my ESP light flashes. By the way make sure they take care of the windshield noise before leaving the lot as well.
wpa4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
hal2814
2008 JK Wrangler 

By "even swap" I'm assuming that they will just pay off your FJ entirely as part of the deal? I'd personally take the Commander but then again, I'm not in a position where I could get by with something the size of an FJ despite my love of Toyota. I need a largish vehicle and a small vehicle. My Commander and Hyundai fit me perfectly. It just really depends on your personal tastes.

I wouldn't sweat the mechanical issues too much. It's been a year so even if you do run across a mechanical issue at this point, they should know what to do about it by now. Personally, I really liked getting a 65th Anniversary model just because I knew it wasn't one of the first run vehicles but you can figure out the build date on any of them by looking at the order sheet that should still be in the vehicle.

In our case, after 3000 miles we went back in to get the windshield fixed. I really second making sure this is done before you drive off the lot. Make sure to test drive the vehicle on a hot sunny day and it will stick out like a sore thumb. We were given a loaner even though our dealership supposedly doesn't give them out without you buying the extended warranty. It was a PT Cruiser but it got the job done for a day. At 5000, we haven't had any other issues except for a tendency to downshift a bit early when stopping and a very minor wind noise that you have to be going 95 mph or so to hear in the first place. I talked to my dealer about the downshift and he said it wasn't critical to get fixed but they have a new flash they can do that will take care of it if I ever have a spare hour or two to drop it by. I'm not concerned about the other wind noise but I'll probably ask about it when I go in for the flash just in case they have a fix for that.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
USA1

Bought a 06 Commander to replace the wife's Cadillac STS. Drove it to the Outer Banks and was totally satisfied. We bought the 65th anniv. with the standard v-6. Ran great and had enough power (4 her). Couldn't beat the price, $25,330 before the trade. 65th anniv. is a great package as it had all she wanted (sunroof/cd). Made us a two Jeep family now (also have my beater, a 99 Wrangler which rocks)..
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #12
C-AV8R

Commander is an excellent SUV

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have many excellent cars/SUV in my garage and I definitely did not need another car. However, one day on the road, I saw a black Commander and was impressed by it. (I was a former Navy officer and the badge also strucked me) I loved the boxy retro looks of Commander and the chrome rear handles. Anyway, I went into a Jeep dealer and walked out with a new 65th Anniversary Commander at a great price. It has been about two weeks and my feeling towards the car remains the same. The style and fit of the car is more suitable to me than my other SUV (Lincoln Aviator). Commander has 'fun' and 'adventure' written all over it. I seriously compared it with Landrover LR3 and Range Rover Sport, and the price and style of Commander cannot be beaten. My only regret is that I should have gotten a Limited version.

I highly recommend Commander.

Last edited by C-AV8R; 09-11-2006 at 02:16 AM..
C-AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #13
LynchMOB

We are thinking about trading our 2002 Honda Ody for a Commander. It would be replacing a mini-van so its plain to see what kind of driving it will be used for. 2 kids, family vacations, DVD needed.

My wife does not have a problem being a 2 Jeep family... Im just wondering if we will miss anything going from the van to the Commander?
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=4][COLOR=YellowGreen]Parrothead Jeepers Union Member #20[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Yellow][B]Yellow Jeep Club Member #314[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
LynchMOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #14
Dabitz

Just make sure you can afford the MPG that the Commander has. Real life numbers are way lower than estimates.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchMOB
My wife does not have a problem being a 2 Jeep family... Im just wondering if we will miss anything going from the van to the Commander?
Gas mileage and the 3rd row is a little more difficult to access than a van.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.