Shock Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Shock Suggestions

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
BlackPrintz
2005 WK 

Shock Suggestions

I still have the original rear shocks on with 184,000km (110,000). When I put my RC 2" BB in, I replaced the front struts which were getting bad. They are standard Monroes that were listed at the autoshop. I have removed front and rear sway bars and noticed one rear shock is looking pretty long in the tooth. It seems that everyone goes for the Bilsteins, 5100 or 4600, or the Monroe Load Leveler for an F-150. I'm open to info on what works well with a budget boost and will provide me with a little more travel for wheeling. I recall that someone had posted info on the Load Levellers but I can't find it. The shop that does a lot of work on my Jeep had a listing for Ranchos but I'd like to get more feedback here before I replace them. Thanks

Black WK #139
05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, 2" R.C. lift, 32s, K&N, MagnaFlow, 4xGuard Skids, Custom Rock Rails
BlackPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

When I had my 97 wrangler I got the rancho's, was very happy with them but haven't put them on my gc yet so I couldn't tell ya how the ya are with them but that's just my 2 cents hope it helps
sheepdog918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
overland-wk
2006 WK 

I got ranchos on all four corners no complaints
Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

monroes or bilsteins... two best options.
Unread 06-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
ISUzj
2005 WK 

A few guys here have gone with Monroe Load Levelers, and have complained of a stiffer ride, or noisy springs on the shocks themselves, Bilstens are still on backorder for the 5100's, I believe the 4600's are the same as stock, I have 5125's on my jeep with a 2" lift, I belive there is a bit more travel on the 5125's.

The MLL have measurments of 15 compressed -25 extended w 9" travel, If you get any shock along those lines they should be a good fit for the jeep
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
JeepMedic89
2005 WK 

5125 on all 4 corners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
A few guys here have gone with Monroe Load Levelers, and have complained of a stiffer ride, or noisy springs on the shocks themselves, Bilstens are still on backorder for the 5100's, I believe the 4600's are the same as stock, I have 5125's on my jeep with a 2" lift, I belive there is a bit more travel on the 5125's.

The MLL have measurments of 15 compressed -25 extended w 9" travel, If you get any shock along those lines they should be a good fit for the jeep
JeepMedic89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
ISUzj
2005 WK 

No I got 4600 up front and 5125s out back
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Kolak
Vendor

You can adapt a longer 5100 series to the rear with just some readily obtainable bolts/washers from the hardware store. Those particular Bilsteins are not on backorder. PM me if you'd like pricing or have any questions.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.