Shock recommendation please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Shock recommendation please

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
solomaniac
2008 WK 

Shock recommendation please

Here's the job description:

2008 GC Limited Hemi, completely stock suspension, 75000 miles, will never be lifted. Not a daily driver; used primarily for foul weather during northern Ohio winters and towing a 5000 lb travel trailer during the summer (pavement only). Sees some time off-pavement (but not off road) when on vacation in UP Michigan.

My initial inclination is toward Bilstein--mostly because I know the name and it seems to be highly regarded here; I've never had any--but I see that Koni makes an FSD for this application and KYB apparently has something. I've had both of the latter two on various cars that I've autocrossed over the past 30-odd years, including Koni FSDs on the Mazda 3 that is my current mount.

So.......what say you? Is there any reason for me not to go with Bilstein? Any better ideas? Bring it on--I'm all ears.

solomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
Kolak
Vendor

Are you wanting to level the front at all? If so, Bilstein makes the 5100 series which are adjustable up front to do so.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
solomaniac
2008 WK 

Given the usage description above, is there any performance reason to do so, other than a bit of increased ground clearance in extreme snow?
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

It's more of an aesthetic thing other than the slight added clearance. The valving is the same on the 4600 series and 5100 series. So either one will give you a really nice improvement in handling and ride quality/control. The 4600 series are less expensive than the 5100 series.

PM me if you'd like a price - I have excellent pricing on Bilsteins.
Unread 04-20-2015, 04:45 AM   #5
davids0865
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
It's more of an aesthetic thing other than the slight added clearance. The valving is the same on the 4600 series and 5100 series. So either one will give you a really nice improvement in handling and ride quality/control. The 4600 series are less expensive than the 5100 series.

PM me if you'd like a price - I have excellent pricing on Bilsteins.
Kolak, When I try to get to kolakperformance.com I get :

Sorry! This site is no longer available.

If you are the owner of this site, please call the number below and mention code WSN2240Z

Toll free within the U.S. & Canada: (877) 454-5212

Outside the U.S. & Canada: (902) 749-5312
davids0865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomaniac View Post
Here's the job description:

2008 GC Limited Hemi, completely stock suspension, 75000 miles, will never be lifted. Not a daily driver; used primarily for foul weather during northern Ohio winters and towing a 5000 lb travel trailer during the summer (pavement only). Sees some time off-pavement (but not off road) when on vacation in UP Michigan.

My initial inclination is toward Bilstein--mostly because I know the name and it seems to be highly regarded here; I've never had any--but I see that Koni makes an FSD for this application and KYB apparently has something. I've had both of the latter two on various cars that I've autocrossed over the past 30-odd years, including Koni FSDs on the Mazda 3 that is my current mount.

So.......what say you? Is there any reason for me not to go with Bilstein? Any better ideas? Bring it on--I'm all ears.
Bilsteins are a good way to go there are a few wk specific sites that have great pricing check out crawl offroad it was started by chris Kelly a wk owner out of California
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
paroxysym
2007 WK 

do a search.. bilsteins are the heavy favorite.
Unread 04-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Fast55
2010 WK 

Billstein. Nothing else for stock or budget lifts is comparable.
Unread 04-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Koni FSD sounds very similar to Monroe sensatrak with PSD (position sensitive damping) which, uh, sounds gimmicky to me personally. (based on your experience I look forward to some insight! ) I'd go with Bilstein 4600 front and rear
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Kolak
Vendor

That's because I don't have a web site. I registered the domain so I can one day, if I ever have spare time, put one together. Meanwhile I'm you're walking, talking web site Just PM me if you need me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids0865 View Post
Kolak, When I try to get to kolakperformance.com I get :

Sorry! This site is no longer available.

If you are the owner of this site, please call the number below and mention code WSN2240Z

Toll free within the U.S. & Canada: (877) 454-5212

Outside the U.S. & Canada: (902) 749-5312
Unread 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
That's because I don't have a web site. I registered the domain so I can one day, if I ever have spare time, put one together. Meanwhile I'm you're walking, talking web site Just PM me if you need me.
Ah! I always wondered. I Purchased my Bilsteins from Kolak^ highly recommended.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
solomaniac
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Koni FSD sounds very similar to Monroe sensatrak with PSD (position sensitive damping) which, uh, sounds gimmicky to me personally. (based on your experience I look forward to some insight! ) I'd go with Bilstein 4600 front and rear
It doesn't pertain to Jeep at all, but you asked for my insight,so here it is.

My SCCA region--Northwestern Ohio--is a real shark tank for solo. Out of 150 or so more-or-less active members, we send several dozen to the national championship event every year, and they routinely come home with 10-12 trophies and a championship or two. Around here, even the slow guys are pretty fast, and the fast guys are really fast. In this rough neighborhood, I am a solid mid-pack driver.

In 2007, one of our guys, driving a Mazda 3, won his class at the nationals. When I bought mine in 2009, I duplicated his set-up. This included a big H & R front sway bar and a set of Koni FSD shocks/struts. I find that the FSDs make the car feel notably more confident and planted in the sharp transitions often encountered on an autocross course, but without a penalty in ride quality on the street. This is a very good thing, because Mrs. solomaniac really likes the nice ride/great handling compromise that the car came with from the factory, and if I did anything to mar that, there might be some dreadful consequences. I haven't a clue just how it works, but it is my understanding that the faster the piston moves in the bore, the tighter the valving gets. In any case, after a couple of the aforementioned really fast guys bought new cars and moved to other classes, I have won my regional class championship the past two years. I'm not sure how it would work on a Jeep, but it seems to work pretty darn well on my Mazda.
Unread 04-21-2015, 11:20 PM   #13
unobtanium

I bought Bilsteins 4600hd from Kolak on here. My jeep is identical to yours except 2010. It handles like a really fat corvette with a bit more weight over the front wheels. I love it. I live in the mountains and it makes life good. My friends all remark on how well it handles. I used to drive a 370z and c6 z06 and don't find my jeep too terribly boring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.