Several Issues - Dealer Still Hasn't Fixed - Can Anyone Help Me? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Several Issues - Dealer Still Hasn't Fixed - Can Anyone Help Me?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Several Issues - Dealer Still Hasn't Fixed - Can Anyone Help Me?

Hey Everyone,

2006 WK, 5.7 with 94k miles. For the last month, my Jeep has been to the dealer 4 times. Can anyone help me or suggest something? This is beyond frustrating.

Jeep initially went in because "Transmission Over Temp" kept displaying and the cooler would kick on. This would happen completely random, sometimes immediately upon starting up after sitting over night. This issue was finally corrected when a new PCM was installed. Prior to that, a new idler pulley was installed, new belt, tranny fluid drained/replaced, both filters replaced, new transfer case motor, new battery, and here we are. While the tranny over temp warning doesn't come on any more, I'm still having several issues. I originally thought they were tranny issues (due to the overheating warning), but I'm not sure.

I'm getting some hard shifts, usually between 1st and 2nd. When coasting, you can feel the jeep start to lug and a noise that I can only describe as a lugging sound will start. If you let off the gas completely or accelerate, pushing the engine to a higher or lower RPM seems to cause the noise to go away.

When driving along there will be an audible clunk from underneath. You can also feel this clunk in the gas pedal. To me, it feels exactly like a bad ujoint, but dealer has checked the ujoints and says they are fine (really, with 94k miles on them)? I also read that these models have an issue with front differential mounts. Those were checked as well, nothing loose. This clunk is pretty regular, but dealer says "the car will pass inspection".

There is also this sifting issue when coasting. If you are maintaining about 35-40mph and just coasting along, there will be times when you can feel the jeep lose power for a split second. You can see the RPMs drop suddenly and then go back to where they were. It's almost like a pulsating feeling.

The dealer is starting to think I'm crazy - and they have looked at the car now 4 times (under warranty) and I feel like they are just throwing parts at it without addressing to main issue - a bad or failing transmission. I'm going to call Chrysler Warranty today and see what they recommend. I'm in sales and I drive a lot, so I need to get these issues fixed.

Does anyone have any advice or other things to look at? Any other suggestions or any thing that would be of value?

Thanks!

jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bump - I tried driving around with Tow/Haul on and this made the clunking more noticeable. Starting to wonder if it might be suspension related.
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Do you get any clunking or hard shifting when shiftng from park-R or R- N or Park ? check your 3 front differential mount bushings .They could cause some of your symptoms .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
Do you get any clunking or hard shifting when shiftng from park-R or R- N or Park ? check your 3 front differential mount bushings .They could cause some of your symptoms .
No - no hard clunking or hard shifting when shifting thru the gears. There is a short, rapid clicking noise that happens when shifting from P to any other gear. The differential mount bushings were checked by myself and the dealer and look fine. That was the first thing that was checked because the service technician knew that it was a "known" issue. He said they were fine. I also checked them out when I changed the oil after the first time it went into the shop and they looked fine.
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Have you tried turning the traction control/ESP off ? it almost sounds as if your traction contol is chiming in during regular driving .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have turned the ESP off and there was no noticeable difference (as in the clunking was still there, etc). Does the PCM control the ESP functionality? I'm trying to find out if the dealer has actually done a hydraulic test on the tranny or looked at the shifter cable. It sounds like they didn't, even though those are the first steps to take according to the FSM.
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Mandorla
2005 WK 

Clunking sucks. Mechanics think they know where it is coming from, but most are guessing. So many bushings down there. Dealer said mine was from the CV axles, another said upper control arms, another said lower control arms. Turned out after replacing all (needed anyway) the particular clunk was in the right lower control arm.
Mandorla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
816jared
2005 WK 

when was the last time transfer case/diff fluids were changed?
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Transfer case fluid was changed last time Jeep was in the shop (about 3 weeks ago). At least I'm assuming it was since they had the TC apart to change a motor in it. I'm assuming that means it had to be drained and refilled. Diffs were changed approx 20,000 miles ago when I first bought it. I did the change and examined the diffs and didn't see anything concerning. Jeep is in the shop again. Be there so far for 2.5 days. This is beyond frustrating. I can deal with the clunking and replace all the bushing as I have time. It's the damn noise that happens when your coasting. I don't know how to describe it but it's like the whole thing lugs out and starts making a vibrating noise. I've also noticed when idling, it will drop 200-300 RPMS, almost like it wants to stall but at the last minute doesn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.