SES - Fail Code Reader - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > SES - Fail Code Reader

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

SES - Fail Code Reader

Hi Guys
the Jeep has only 2500 miles and my second SES light - last time it was the Gas Cap (it was on tight - oh well). The jeep has not been filled up for almost a week - 1/4 tank is left, so I don't think it is the gas cap but could be wrong. Here is my question - I have AUTOTAP for OBD II, can I read the Fail Codes on this Jeep with that unit? I will try to reset the SES light because that may cause problems. I don't want to waste a half day at the dealer if it is the Gas cap again. The system reset the light after a couple run cycles.
thanks
Bill

2007GC Overland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

You can get the code by cycling the key on, off, on, off, on with the door open and it will display in the dash. If you keep getting this code then it may be more than your gas cap.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
You can get the code by cycling the key on, off, on, off, on with the door open and it will display in the dash. If you keep getting this code then it may be more than your gas cap.

Totally agree with you - the gas cap did not make sense the last ime they told me. I found it hard to believe but that is what the code said.
Unread 06-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Hi Foks
It is a P0456 - small leak -could be the gas cap but I doubt it. This is the second time within month - back to the dealer, now I know it has to be something more than a gas cap.
thanks
Bill

PS: still would like to know if the older Autotap will work on my 2007
Unread 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

I had a "Check Gas Cap" message when I bought my 05 Hemi. Dealer convinced me that it was a warranty issue and they would fix it. And they did.. No questions asked. It took two visits to correct the problem but I'm satisfied. It was NOT the gas cap. And it was not a leaking fuel tank as some had suggested. There is a small air pump designed to test the integrity of the fuel system. It is supposed to run on stat up for a few seconds to pressurize the tank and fuel system to .2 to .5 psi. Its a pass or fail test. That pump was suspected as well but it was good also. Turns out that the plastic cover on the HEMI tends to push and pull on hoses and fittings when its removed and installed. There was a hose pulled out of a rubber fitting. That was the cause of my problem. Also turns out that when I got the car back the tech at the dealer had left a different fitting disconnected which I fixed myself. Its a pretty fragile system under that cover. Pay very close attention when removing and replacing that cover because its really hard to see disconnected stuff once the cover is in place.

If you find and fix the problem yourself, the system should "pass" its self test and your fault message should stop displaying. Someone will have to clear the fault code from memory manually though. I dont know how that is done other than at the dealership.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
hophead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurriJeff
I had a "Check Gas Cap" message when I bought my 05 Hemi. Dealer convinced me that it was a warranty issue and they would fix it. And they did.. No questions asked. It took two visits to correct the problem but I'm satisfied. It was NOT the gas cap. And it was not a leaking fuel tank as some had suggested. There is a small air pump designed to test the integrity of the fuel system. It is supposed to run on stat up for a few seconds to pressurize the tank and fuel system to .2 to .5 psi. Its a pass or fail test. That pump was suspected as well but it was good also. Turns out that the plastic cover on the HEMI tends to push and pull on hoses and fittings when its removed and installed. There was a hose pulled out of a rubber fitting. That was the cause of my problem. Also turns out that when I got the car back the tech at the dealer had left a different fitting disconnected which I fixed myself. Its a pretty fragile system under that cover. Pay very close attention when removing and replacing that cover because its really hard to see disconnected stuff once the cover is in place.
Very interesting. I have the same problem. I just took a peek under the cover, but found nothing disconnected.
Quote:
If you find and fix the problem yourself, the system should "pass" its self test and your fault message should stop displaying. Someone will have to clear the fault code from memory manually though. I dont know how that is done other than at the dealership.
It's done with an OBDII code reader. I'm not sure if they all have the ability to clear codes, but all the ones that I've seen (including mine) do.
hophead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
Found this TSB and the info in it is good to understand why you get this code. http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_1400106.pdf
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
Hi
Found this TSB and the info in it is good to understand why you get this code. http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_1400106.pdf
Hi Folks
thanks - I read the TSB - GOOD INFORMATION but mine was a small leak - did not get the Check Gas Cap - they linked to the car cap. Anyway .090" is big hole - that is almost 3/32 of an inch - I have to believe the gas cap should seat better than they do. I think they have a poor design if this problem surfaces.
Bill
Unread 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

So Overland... are you fixed ?? You said yours was a small leak.. Where ??
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Quote:
So Overland... are you fixed ?? You said yours was a small leak.. Where ??
Hi HurriJeff
appears to be working no fail codes - they did replace the gas cap. I also bought a CAN scan tool to reset it if it happens again. 3500 miles on the Jeep.
thanks
Bill
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #11
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Thanks Bill...
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:01 AM   #12
T-Rated

How does one go about buying a CAN scan tool? What all does it do? Do you have a link?

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rated
How does one go about buying a CAN scan tool? What all does it do? Do you have a link?
Hi T-Rated
you are going to love this - have all the software tools for my Camaros and AutoTap for pre "CAN". I was going to buy the Autotap for CAN but one day I went to Habor Freight Tools and pickup a tool that can read and reset the fail codes - work great to my surprise. see the info below - here is the secret - PRINT THE PAGE WITH THE $39.99 PRICE (go to HFT sites) AND TAKE IT TO HFT AND THEY WILL HONOR IT OR ORDER ON-LINE. A couple of my friend bought the tool and is keeping in their cars. Can not go wrong for $40 :-)

ITEM 94169-3VGA
$79.99

SALE: $39.99
Thanks
Bill
Unread 08-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
T-Rated

Cool. I printed the ad. I suppose it'll work on my wife's G6 as well.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rated
Cool. I printed the ad. I suppose it'll work on my wife's G6 as well.
It will work on any CAN or Non-CAN OBD II.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.