Service Electrical Brake System light? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service Electrical Brake System light?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 07-30-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
beeneeb

05 Grand Cherokee. Service Electrical Brake System light?

Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with about 41,000 miles on it. It's the 4.7L model.

Anywho, I was driving this morning and both the "Service Electrical Brake System" and "Service 4WD System" lights flashed on. Anyone ever have this problem or know what it could mean?

By the way, it has the original battery in it as well.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by beeneeb; 07-30-2007 at 08:01 AM..
beeneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Yeah, I got it once after hitting a rediculous pothole and dented a rim last month. They turned off after a day. You could try checking for codes - turn the key on-off-on-off-on without starting the Jeep and they should display in the dash.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
Yes read this http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406a.pdf
Regards,
Merlin
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
beeneeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
Yeah, I got it once after hitting a rediculous pothole and dented a rim last month. They turned off after a day. You could try checking for codes - turn the key on-off-on-off-on without starting the Jeep and they should display in the dash.
Wow! I've never heard of that before. I will definitely check that out.
Unread 07-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
Hi
Yes read this http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406a.pdf
Regards,
Merlin

I used to get the Service 4wd every so often. Since I got this TSB done it hasn't showed up again until the day that I described above. I hit the pothole then several miles later both the Electric brake system light and the service 4wd lights came on including the ESP light. After about a day or so they all went away. Never did check for a code or bring it in. And it's been fine since.

It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

Unread 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
beeneeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
I used to get the Service 4wd every so often. Since I got this TSB done it hasn't showed up again until the day that I described above. I hit the pothole then several miles later both the Electric brake system light and the service 4wd lights came on including the ESP light. After about a day or so they all went away. Never did check for a code or bring it in. And it's been fine since.
Can the system show a code even if a light doesn't come on? In other words, is it a good idea to check codes every once in a while just to make sure nothing is going on with it? Or, will the system not even show any fault codes if no light has appeared?
Unread 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

The key thing will only show stored codes from the time it was last reset. I'm pretty sure there are other codes that the Starscan can pull that are a little more in depth. Not really sure when it logs a code I just assume that when a CEL comes on a code is stored. As far as those service lights go, I am pretty sure they do not log a code when they come on, well at least not a code that we can see with the key trick.

I'm sure Merlin can explain a little better.

Unread 07-31-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
merlinTec

Don't do the key bit so not sure but i think it will only show an active fault code not a stored or a pending code that star scan will show. i also think it is only a power train codes. I will set a code and try it and come back and let you know.
Unread 07-31-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
merlinTec

Hi
Ok an update on this. I put faults in two customers WH jeeps day and did the key bit. It will work on the 4.7 but as I said before it will only bring up power train fault codes as I put codes in alarm and nothing showed, but it will show both active and stored codes. I also tried in on the 3.0 CRD and it didn’t work.
P.S I did fix and clear all the faults after lol
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Funny this should come up. When I was driving across country I got one brief "service 4WD system" on the screen that usually displays the compass and temperature. I just hit the reset button and it went away...hasn't been back since.

I was working it pretty hard when the warning came on...driving up I-80 Eastbound towards Tahoe, fully loaded in back, REALLY hot outside, I think I had just hit around 6000 feet elevation, going uphill at about 75-80 mph.

The thing that I find interesting is that the TSB instructs the tech to make sure the battery is charged. When the warning hit, I was running every accessory except wipers, had my ipod running (it draws a little bit of current to charge up), was charging my cell phone, and was running a fridge that plugs into a lighter socket. Between what the TSB says and what I was doing when the warning happened, it almost makes me think that whatever it is that throws the warning is sensitive to the charge state of the battery. Or it could all be just coincidence.

Oh well...it runs fine and the warning hasn't come back. I might mention it next time it goes in for service, but I'm not worried.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
beeneeb

Just to let ya'll know, I took my Grand Cherokee to the dealer & they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They just cleared the codes & sent me on my way.

The Jeep drove fine for about 5 days or so...the acceleration was responsive. The brakes worked like they were made to work...absolutely no problems at all.

THEN!!! I went to drive it tonight.....

I threw it into reverse & started pulling out of my driveway. All of sudden, it felt like I ran over something. I simply ignored it & started driving. My brakes or something kept locking up on me & I couldn't drive it. I had to reverse back through my neighborhood and into the driveway. After pulling it into the driveway, I shut it down for a few minutes. I then turned it back on & threw it into Drive while holding the brake. There was an awful "tinking" sound coming from the underneath of the vehicle. I then threw it into reverse & it did the same thing.

After getting frustrated with it, I let it sit for about an hour. Then, I started it back up & threw it into reverse, it jumped and made it awful sound before finally engaging. Then, I put it back into Park & it jumped again. It is the most awful thing I've ever seen on a vehicle.

I'm really frustrated with my WK so far & I'm to the point where I want to trade it in for a Mazda 3 and simply get rid of my SUV's. I have had nothing but problems with all of my vehicles & I keep all of the regular maintenance up on them.

Anywho, sorry about the "feel sorry for me" paragraph. Has anyone had anything like this happen? It's so bad that I'm going to have to call the dealer to tow it. It's simply undriveable.
Unread 10-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
c4202k2

Service Elec Brake System

I have been in and out of the dealer more than 15 times, trying to get this message cleared from my WK. Everytime I come in they tell me that it is because I am pressing the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time (RPM's are to high).

I think the dealer is just lazy because after having them reset the codes/messages the light appeared again not more than 2 minutes after leaving the dealership. When I ask them to apply the TSB mentioned above he claimed it was for only the 4WD message and not Service Elec Brake System.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have a 2005 WK with Quadra Track I AWD.
c4202k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
ravsman07

I had 11 codes pop up and my dash bores lights up like a x mass tree and then shuts off no tack a speedometer anything at all sometimes it pops back on and while this is happing the ac shuts off completely. Sometimes I can resolve this issue by turning off then on my 05 5.7L jeep grand Cherokee. I’ve been told that jeep does fix this but they will fight me unless I have hard core evidence well hear are all the codes that pop up please help me.
U1411
B2100
U0415
B1bb8
B2120
U0114
U1504
U1415
U1414
U0126
U140E
ravsman07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.