Service Electric brake system warning in an '05 wk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service Electric brake system warning in an '05 wk

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
pittdoggg78
2005 WK 

Service Electric brake system warning in an '05 wk

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, 62000 miles. recently the "service electric brake system" message came on along with the ABS light and the traction control light. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with this??
I found other posts but they didn't list all the same warnings. I should mention the messages will turn off for a bit, then pop back on. They originally came on during normal braking to a stop sign.
we have recently had new wheel bearings put in, new brakes all around and some tranny work done if any of this could make a difference.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Kris

pittdoggg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
johnny_t
2005 WK 

i have the same exact problem. im trying to get some help on some other sites as well. i'll let you know what i come up with and please do the same. thanks -Johnny
johnny_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
DYNOGUY
2012 JK Wrangler 

i've had this happen a couple of times and it appears thatit's a wheel speed sensor that looses signal.
DYNOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
merlinTec

If you have had wheel bearings and brakes done then yes it could be related. Need to get the fault codes read then come back with the code. I would have a look around behind the wheels they could have routed the wire incorrectly and it's rubbing.
Unread 12-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

If the money means anything to you, have a look at the wheel speed sensors before you take it to the dealer. These wheel speed sensors are not covered under the 7/70 warranty. If you pull the wheels off at each corner and look at the wire that runs to the center of the hub you may find a chaff point that is through the wire, and even if its not through, if the wire is exposed then you can get intermittent shorts. The fronts are really easy to do, you will have to drop the caliper though. My total time off the ground was 30 minutes and that was my first time doing it. On the front, when you have the tire off, be sure to move the two wire holders to the BACK/INSIDE of the spindle arm away from the tire. This is where mine chaffed through. If you find and replace a defective wheel speed sensor, just drive around and the warning lights should go out in less than 2 minutes after you are rolling.

Keep us posted please.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
PaulH123

I am have an 05 with the same issues and have had them every January for the past 2 years. When the temperature drops to around freezing the traction control light turns on and "service elec brake system" error appears. I have taken it to the dealership and all they ever do is "reflash" the computer system. The problem goes away temporarily but always comes back.

As soon as temperatures rise the problem goes away. Has anyone else noticed this only happens in cold weather?

Any suggestions on how to resolve this are greatly appreciated.
PaulH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
1stnicejeep
2005 WK 

i have recently purchased a used 05 hemi 5.7L grand cherokee limited. after a week of owning it, i noticed "SERVICE ELEC BRAKE SYSYTEM" displayed where the speed odometer is and along with the picture of a car with kinda like skid marks behind it.i later learned that the picture was something to do with the traction control. this display and picture would apear at first once or twice a week, then three to four times and eventually all the time and would not go away. i can tell you that every time this happened, the jeep would vibrate crazy, almost like the brakes are locking on me. it would ONLY happen when i came to a complete stop, cut the wheel all the way and gave it a little gas. i was going crazy about this. being that i just bought it.(purchased 12/8/09 with 84k miles) i tried some little fixes before either going to a dealer or a sevice garage. i changed a brake switch, cleaned out with compress air around brake drums, checking all tire pressures.... still the display and picture was there. i also noticed that the radio display would blink, bright and dim. i would jiggle the turn signal lever and the radio display would stay bright but it would blink bright and dim again within a few minutes. i finally had to come to terms and call my friend who is a awesome mechanic. he found the "STEERING MODULE W/ANGLE SENSORS" to be no good. this part is located in the steering column. the steering wheel must come off and all necessary items to change this part. i will let you know that it costs about 1000.00( i live in nyc) to do the job. i drive now and have no prblems. hope my experience has helped in any way.
1stnicejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
liggettj

I have an 08 laredo with the 3.7 if it matters and Mine comes on to randomly. If I shut it off and restart the vehicle it goes away. I don`t know if it is a glitch or not. I don`t think mine is anything serious or it would stay on all the time. Mine has come on just during cruising at highway speeds and not braking. Mine has come on during normal temperature around 60-70 degrees. It has only come on twice but wonder why the hell it has.
liggettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
dcaprio
2005 WK 

clock spring?
'05 WK Limited 5.7L HEMI - 2" Rough Country Lift, LT245/75/17 Big-O A/Ts, Saguaro 4x Components 3/4" shackle mounts and antenna mount, Midland 1001Z CB radio, Firestik 3' antenna, Bilstein shocks, Stillen Metal Matrix pads and rotors, 4XGuard 12 Bolt Rear Differential Guard
dcaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
TatorTodd
2005 WK 

mine comes on after driving it for about 5miles, along with the "service 4wd system"

all the time!
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
1stnicejeep
2005 WK 

im writing this post for maybe it can help others, i would go to an independent shop to diagnose the issues (perferably a friend of yours). i went to talk to several jeep dealers before bringing it to my friend and they were not helpfull (unless you have a warranty). the dealers qoutes were also 2 times the amount. although the dealer had a better gaurentee on their workmanship. the choice is up to you. i was just letting you know my expierence.
1stnicejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
Megaman7
2005 WK 

Hey,

I just started getting this message on the EVIC. Had a small BB lift put on, AND got a carwash (below freezing weather).

Should I take it back to the shop and get them to check for a damaged wheel speed sensor, or take it to the dealership and get financially molested?

I'm in an apartment with zero tools, so doing it myself isn't really an option.

Thanks.
Megaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #13
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Ive heard that mud packed into the brake assembly can cause an error related to the wheel speed sensor. My WK has never seen mud deeper than about 1 inch or two so I dont know first hand but if you ever have a "Mud Event" and suddenly get an error code, try removing the wheel and flushing the brake assemblies really well as your first diagnostic proceedure.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
ess3738
2011 XJ Cherokee 

I have an 05 Grand Cherokee Limited. I purchased it used but got the extended warranty. After about 6 to 8 months, I noticed the vehicle make a crunching noise from the rear, and then the service electric brake system light come on, along with the the radio would blink dim, the gauges would go out and come back on.
I took it in to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and there was no code to indicate it. I took it home and a few weeks later it did it again. I took it back in and they again said they couldn't find a problem. The service engine light eventually resets itself, and so does the other electrical stuff. Has anybody figured out the problem. Did that STEERING MODULE W/ANGLE SENSORS work and has anyone else got the problem solved. Last when I talked to the dealer, he said there was nothing on file in the research he did through Jeep.
ess3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Acidcold
2005 WK 

A superchips flashpaq will tell you which sensorhas lost signal, in my case, its the driver front.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.