Service Elec Brake System-car braking on own - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service Elec Brake System-car braking on own

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
StephanieVB

Service Elec Brake System-car braking on own

I recently purchased a 2005 jeep grand cherokee 4.7L V8 with 75,000 miles on it. My issue is the Electronic Stability/Traction Control light comes on with the message Service Elec Brake System. The real problem is this: the jeep brakes all by itself. I have searched this forum for anyone else having this exact problem but have not found anyone. I'm just driving along and all of a sudden, it feels like I've slammed on the brakes when in fact my foot is still on the gas pedal. I've read the manual and understand that the "traction control" thinks the car is sliding so it's applying brakes to the tire/wheel that it feels is slipping; however, this first happened on completely dry roads. It of course will not ever happen when it's at the dealer, which it's been at for over 3 weeks now. If anyone else had this 'self braking' issue, please let me know what the solution was, if there was one. My first car payment was made while this thing was at the dealer-I'm ready to give up on it as it is not safe for me and my children. Don't want to know what it would do when the snow starts to fly if this is what happens on dry roads. Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter.

StephanieVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
AlysonES

same problem!!

My 2005 jeep is having the same issue!! It is braking on its own!!! Did you find a solution?!?!
AlysonES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
pablorg
1981 CJ7 

I had a similar problem that was solved by replacing a faulty front wheel ABS sensor. It could also be a rear wheel ABS sensor, but in my case it was a front one.
2005 Grand Cherokee WK Limited 5.7 Hemi (wife's)
pablorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
StephanieVB

The dealer has been unable to make the traction control light and the service elec brake system message come on and they've had the car for over 3 weeks now. So as of right now, no solution to my problem. I'm picking the car up this Tuesday and I just know Wednesday morning the light and message will come back on. Very frustrating that the dealer is driving it all over the place and the light/message only comes on for us. I don't even think they're checking anything on the truck (i.e.: faulty wheel sensors), they are just trying to get the code to come back on so they can just plug the computer in and have it tell them where to look for the problem. It was; however, recommended to us from another Jeep dealer service manager in New Jersey that we put new tires on it. Am getting new tires (it needed them anyway) tuesday as well so we'll see what happens. I'm hoping that getting the new tires put on will not cause any additional problems-I've seen the posting from the person who said after they got new tires, this message came on. Don't know if they're truck was braking on it's own or not though. If Alyson in Florida comes up with a solution, please post it and I will do the same if I ever find one. I will try the wheel sensors next most likely; how much did that cost? Wish me luck! Thanks to everyone for responding!
StephanieVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
wkorbust

My ABS symptoms were just no power on throttle and a flashing light on the dash indicating ESP was in play. I turned ESP off with the button and continued on my way. I didn't get any spontaneous braking. The last time that happened it was my right rear wheel, but I replaced both front and rear right sides since I ordered the parts already.

It came back again, but this time on the driver side My code this time was u1417 / c1043 / u0415 all related to bad ABS data from the left rear wheel. I pulled these using my superchips tuner/scanner and ordered the parts again from ChryslerPartsDirect for about $60 for front and back total. Its a PITA to dig in there since you have to remove the rotor to get at the sensor. Just make sure your parking brake is off when you try to pull off the rear rotor or you will be cursing the sky trying to figure out why it won't come off.

There is a trick where you turn the key on to ACC and back 3 or 4 times and it will read any DTC codes in your dash. I would give that a try the next time the light comes on and see what comes up, especially since your dealer doesn't seem to be doing much troubleshooting for you.
wkorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Skeptic
2003 WJ 

Previous owner of my vehicle had the same issue; looking at the repair receipt it was a wheel sensor - (WH 8037155) $60. I suspect the dealer probably knows that, but there is the issue of determining which wheel sensor is intermittently failing, and trying to get the code to tell them.
Skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I suspect the dealer probably knows that, but there is the issue of determining which wheel sensor is intermittently failing, and trying to get the code to tell them.
Wait for it to happen again, then follow the section on Retrieving codes on this guide: http://wkjeeps.com/trouble_codes.htm Its a start if you don't have ready access to a code scanner.
wkorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
oldfamilyguy

I'm surprised if there isn't a code already stored but key trick and regular code readers won't always get them (Brake/ABS/Traction Control codes) Try but they usually need a more sophisticated scanner
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
ROYs05wk
2005 WK 

ABS sensor easy fix, around $16 at autozone!!!!!
ROYs05wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
oldfamilyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYs05wk View Post
ABS sensor easy fix, around $16 at autozone!!!!!
How did you know which sensor to replace?
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
ROYs05wk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfa;)milyguy View Post
you take it to advance auto or autozone and they will run a dionostic test on it and it will tell you
ROYs05wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
Feffman
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy View Post
For the price, if it can't be figured out, replace all four.

Rear ($15): http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...793966_0_6064_

Front ($30): http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...100516_0_4222_

If the dealer can't tell me which one is acting up, I've got my weekend project.

One question: If the center brake light were out, would this cause the same issue? I noticed on the way to the dealer the center brake light wasn't functioning.

Feff

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.