Service bulletin number: 21-022-14 - 2005-10 wh/wk,2006-10 xh/xk - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service bulletin number: 21-022-14 - 2005-10 wh/wk,2006-10 xh/xk

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 07-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #31
w33mud
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 21-022-14 -2005-10 WH/WK, 2006-2010 XH/XK

FYI -

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 21-022-14
GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: July 10, 2014
SUBJECT:
4WD Lamp Illuminated and Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F Active in Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying FDCM software level and then flash reprogramming of the FDCM with new software.
MODELS:
2005 - 2010 WH/WK Grand Cherokee
2006 - 2010 XH/XK Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles that have had Recall N23 performed.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the “Service 4WD” indicator in the instrument cluster is illuminated. They may also indicate that the transfer case will not shift from 4WD High, 4WD Low, and/or Neutral once the lamp is illuminated.
Further investigation identifies that a Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F is stored or active in the Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.
Will this apply to us UK owners with the same problem?

w33mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #32
Clach

I don't see why not..it's he same truck
Clach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #33
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by w33mud View Post
Will this apply to us UK owners with the same problem?
WH/XH are the export versions.
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #34
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

had the new update flashed by my dealer last week wednesday ...

somehow they could not clear the code after that.

not sure they knew/performed the 5sec off/on key trick.

according to the instructions they had to check harness/pins at the TC what they did (they unplugged something,checked, cleaned and sprayed contact spray)

After that the code was "clearable"/gone ... no "Service 4wd" anymore ... so far.

we will see ...

JeepCares: how important is this key procedure? could unplugging at the TC have done the same effect?
(generally I think too many dealers might not pay enough attention to the post flash "procedures" ... earlier this month my original N23 flash record was saying "incomplete" and my dealer performed the 3xdelete procedure with no pervailing success )

I have to say though here in the UAE we have two Jeep Agencies... and the Western Motors customers are in the lucky situation of excellent customer/community support. The foreman did so far all the diagnosis/reflash efforts/experiments free of charge to my 2009 4.7!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #35
w33mud
2006 WK 

Quote:
WH/XH are the export versions.
Thanks,but is this latest update available in the Uk?
w33mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #36
JeepCares

Service Bulletin 21-022-14 REVISED - version A

This Service Bulletin repair procedure has been revised to include a statement to make sure the wiTECH is disconnected when clearing DTC C140F.

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 21-022-14 REV. A
DATE: July 29, 2014

SUBJECT:
4WD Lamp Illuminated and Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F Active in Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying FDCM software level and then flash reprogramming of the FDCM with new software.
MODELS:
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the “Service 4WD” indicator in the instrument cluster is illuminated. They may also indicate that the transfer case will not shift from 4WD High, 4WD Low, and/or Neutral once the lamp is illuminated.
Further investigation identifies that a Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F is stored or active in the Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
DIAGNOSIS:
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Using the wiTECH™, record the FDCM software number.
2. Was the FDCM software number 56044129AP, 56044199AP, or 68235713AB?
a. YES>>>The FDCM software is at the latest level. Please refer to the standard diagnostic information for C140F. Refer to DealerCONNECT>Service>TechCONNECT>Service Info>28 - DTC-Based
Diagnostics>MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM)>Diagnosis and
Testing>C140F-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION SENSOR ERRATIC
PERFORMANCE for additional information.
b. NO>>>>Proceed to the next step.
NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
3. Reprogram the FDCM with the latest software. Help using the wiTECH™ diagnostic application for flashing an ECU is available by selecting “help” then “help contents” at the top of the wiTECH diagnostic application window.
4. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming. The wiTECH™ application will automatically present all DTC’s after the flash and allow the tech to clear them.
5. **Disconnect the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool.
NOTE: It may be possible for the FDCM to not power down if the wiTECH is
connected during the next step. Failure to disconnect the wiTECH diagnostic
scan tool may result in the inability to properly move DTC C140F from an
Active Code to a Stored Code.**

6. Turn the ignition key OFF making sure that the key remains OFF for at least 5 seconds. Then cycle the ignition key ON making sure that the key remains ON for at least 5 seconds. Perform a total of three ignition key OFF to ON cycles making sure that there is at least a 5 second pause between each key cycle.
7. Using the wiTECH™, verify that DTC C140F is not active in the FDCM’s memory.
8. Is DTC C140F active in the FDCM’s memory?
a. YES>>>Please refer to the standard diagnostic information for C140F. Refer to DealerCONNECT>Service>TechCONNECT>Service Info>28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics>MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM)>Diagnosis and Testing>C140F-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION SENSOR ERRATIC PERFORMANCE for additional information.
b. NO>>>Repair is complete.
NOTE: If C140F is still active, please ensure that all harness and connections into the FDCM and into the Transfer Case Actuator are free from any bent, loose, or corroded terminals and repair as necessary.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.
Unread 07-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #37
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

@JeepCares: Thank You!

So ... I think the foreman simply forgot to allow the FDCM to "power down/reboot" (points 5 and 6)... he most likely forgot to disconnect the WiTech FIRST.

But by disconnecting/checking the harness at the TC the power down was performed "as a side effect". (The code was THEN successfully deactivated aftet reconnecting with WiTech)

So far my 10th of July reflash is still a success

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #38
johnevans3
2006 WK 

Had my 06 GC reflashed with newest software on July 30 and dealer charged me $102 in Gresham, OR. I'm traveling far from home and didn't feel I had a option to argue even though I have a life time powertrain warranty and had been reflashed 7 times and had actuator installed 2 months ago all on Chry/Jeep's tab. How do I get reimbursed?

Last edited by johnevans3; 08-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: date correction
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #39
esoxhntr
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnevans3 View Post
Had my 06 GC reflashed with newest software on July 30 and dealer charged me $102 in Gresham, OR. I'm traveling far from home and didn't feel I had a option to argue even though I have a life time powertrain warranty and had been reflashed 7 times and had actuator installed 2 months ago all on Chry/Jeep's tab. How do I get reimbursed?
First of all, it is to fix an issue with a Recall. The service manager told me there is no way he could charge me for that in or out of warranty. Secondly, it is listed as 0.2 hours of labour on the TSB. I'd complain loudly somewhere.
esoxhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #40
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Service bulletin number: 21-022-14 - 2005-10 wh/wk,2006-10 xh/xk

Quote:
This Service Bulletin repair procedure has been revised to include a statement to make sure the wiTECH is disconnected when clearing DTC C140F.

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 21-022-14 REV. A
DATE: July 29, 2014

SUBJECT:
OVERVIEW:
MODELS:
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
DIAGNOSIS:
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Using the wiTECH™, record the FDCM software number.
2. Was the FDCM software number 56044129AP, 56044199AP, or 68235713AB?
a. YES>>>The FDCM software is at the latest level. Please refer to the standard diagnostic information for C140F. Refer to DealerCONNECT>Service>TechCONNECT>Service Info>28 - DTC-Based
Diagnostics>MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM)>Diagnosis and
Testing>C140F-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION SENSOR ERRATIC
PERFORMANCE for additional information.
b. NO>>>>Proceed to the next step.
NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
3. Reprogram the FDCM with the latest software. Help using the wiTECH™ diagnostic application for flashing an ECU is available by selecting “help” then “help contents” at the top of the wiTECH diagnostic application window.
4. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming. The wiTECH™ application will automatically present all DTC’s after the flash and allow the tech to clear them.
5. **Disconnect the wiTECH diagnostic scan tool.
NOTE: It may be possible for the FDCM to not power down if the wiTECH is
connected during the next step. Failure to disconnect the wiTECH diagnostic
scan tool may result in the inability to properly move DTC C140F from an
Active Code to a Stored Code.**

6. Turn the ignition key OFF making sure that the key remains OFF for at least 5 seconds. Then cycle the ignition key ON making sure that the key remains ON for at least 5 seconds. Perform a total of three ignition key OFF to ON cycles making sure that there is at least a 5 second pause between each key cycle.
7. Using the wiTECH™, verify that DTC C140F is not active in the FDCM’s memory.
8. Is DTC C140F active in the FDCM’s memory?
a. YES>>>Please refer to the standard diagnostic information for C140F. Refer to DealerCONNECT>Service>TechCONNECT>Service Info>28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics>MODULE, Final Drive Control (FDCM)>Diagnosis and Testing>C140F-TRANSFER CASE RANGE POSITION SENSOR ERRATIC PERFORMANCE for additional information.
b. NO>>>Repair is complete.
NOTE: If C140F is still active, please ensure that all harness and connections into the FDCM and into the Transfer Case Actuator are free from any bent, loose, or corroded terminals and repair as necessary.
So wait, Chrysler refuses to own up to the fact that there is an issue with the N23 recall with respect to the "Service 4WD System" message, yet they've been working on a fix/revision to the whole thing this whole time? Why would you revise something you claim never was messed up?
Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #41
kenmccray
2006 WK 

Did you all have an issue with this before the N23 or just take it in for the recall? I'm getting phone calls, e-mails and regular mail about this recall but I'm real hesitant to take it in. I have no problems yet so thinking I'll just hold out a little longer and see what happens.
kenmccray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #42
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmccray View Post
Did you all have an issue with this before the N23 or just take it in for the recall? I'm getting phone calls, e-mails and regular mail about this recall but I'm real hesitant to take it in. I have no problems yet so thinking I'll just hold out a little longer and see what happens.
If you have a WK or XK that falls in this model year DO NOT let the dealer touch your jeep!!!
Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #43
stratoblaster
2008 WK 

(deleted)

Last edited by stratoblaster; 08-09-2014 at 09:26 AM..
stratoblaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #44
johnevans3
2006 WK 

Got in touch with Corporate rep who has promised to reimburse as soon as I can get to a fax machine to send him a copy of the bill from the Gresham, OR dealer. Nice guy on the phone, sincere and apologetic. I am very happy we made contact. I am traveling and it will be a couple of weeks before I get back to civilization. NW Montana is a long way from anywhere but it certainly is pretty up this way.
Thanks Mr. M. with Chrysler Corp, I appreciate your response to my email and your followup.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #45
scootter82
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmccray
Luckily they only have my cell number, and most smartphones have blacklist functions ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.