"Service 4WD System" warning when engaging low range - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > "Service 4WD System" warning when engaging low range

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
jeep_henry

"Service 4WD System" warning when engaging low range

I have never really used my 2006 GC Overland's Low range but tried engaging the system today and was unable to get the "T" lever to engage. Instead I got the "Service 4WD System" message when the lever is lifted. The Jeep is running and in neutral, but it is as if the transmission is in drive or park and the lever will not come fully into the engaged position. Is this a common issue?

jeep_henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Yes. It is caused by the n23 recall. Read around, there is dozens of threads.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
modernblueWK

Have you been into a dealer recently?
Blue WK club #4
2013 HEMI Durango Awd Crew. All stock
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
jeep_henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Have you been into a dealer recently?
Yes, I had the Jeep in for a recall a couple of months ago which I was told was for a software update. Is this related?
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Veschristina72

Hey I own a 2007 Jeep a Commander I really want to lift it but I don't have the funds for a body lift! Will a 2" spacer due for the front with some 31" tires?
Veschristina72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_henry View Post
Yes, I had the Jeep in for a recall a couple of months ago which I was told was for a software update. Is this related?
Almost certainly, many people have reported this. There are multiple threads about it but to sum it up, we believe, at least, the people with this problem after the N23 recall, had a tech not perform the recall properly. You can contact Chrysler and request to have the recall redone properly with the tech doing everything exactly as listed in the instructions. That fixed it for me so far(5 days). Follow this thread for more information.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...urvey-1873090/
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veschristina72 View Post
Hey I own a 2007 Jeep a Commander I really want to lift it but I don't have the funds for a body lift! Will a 2" spacer due for the front with some 31" tires?
There are many threads about this, please don't hijack other threads with a topic that has nothing to do with your question. Please use the search function in the forum first, then start a new thread if you really can't find the answers you're looking for.
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
jeep_henry

I just spoke to the Jeep service department and they knew exactly what the problem is and had me schedule a service appointment. She said they are having them reflash the computer multiple times to remedy the problem!
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_henry View Post
I just spoke to the Jeep service department and they knew exactly what the problem is and had me schedule a service appointment. She said they are having them reflash the computer multiple times to remedy the problem!
I hope it fixes your problem!
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
jeep_henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMacGyverII View Post
Almost certainly, many people have reported this. There are multiple threads about it but to sum it up, we believe, at least, the people with this problem after the N23 recall, had a tech not perform the recall properly. You can contact Chrysler and request to have the recall redone properly with the tech doing everything exactly as listed in the instructions. That fixed it for me so far(5 days). Follow this thread for more information.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...urvey-1873090/
Thanks for the link! I had no idea this was related to the recall when I started this thread.
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
modernblueWK

I hope also. DO NOT let them sell you any parts or labor. Many folks have paid for new transfer case motors when the bug is in the software.
Blue WK club #4
2013 HEMI Durango Awd Crew. All stock
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.