Service 4wd system light - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service 4wd system light

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #61
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Starts at pg 3-141 of the service manual. See link in my sig.
Reading through the pages you referenced, do I need to do all the steps or is the solenoid accessible by itself?

I am not finding the solenoid, anyone have a pic of where it is? (front)

Unread 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #62
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

How did you guys get the front differential cover off? I can barely even touch the top bolts, and all are quite tight. No combo of extensions and angles could get them.
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #63
boykinjw
1997 TJ Wrangler 

X2, I'm glad I tried to take the top bolt off first, I have not found a way to remove it either. I'm sure I just need the right tool.
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #64
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinjw
X2, I'm glad I tried to take the top bolt off first, I have not found a way to remove it either. I'm sure I just need the right tool.
I'm heading to the dealer next week if no one can give me any tricks. Message has been on for 6 months now.
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #65
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
How did you guys get the front differential cover off? I can barely even touch the top bolts, and all are quite tight. No combo of extensions and angles could get them.
On the XK, there is a support piece that mount to the differential cover. I had to disconnect the support piece first.

Once that is decoupled, I jacked it up and put the front on jack stands letting the wheels and differential sag. This gives you full access to all the cover bolts.

You just remove the bolts and take the cover off. Once inside, you will see where the wires go. The termination of the wires is where the sensor is located. You do not have to remove anything else to get at the sensor.

I did not have to replace any wires in the harness. I just unplugged the old sensor and plugged the new one back in. I put it all back together, filled it with differential fluid / friction modifier, and fired it back up. It came back up without the error message.

Mine has been good for the last two years and 25K miles.
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #66
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post

On the XK, there is a support piece that mount to the differential cover. I had to disconnect the support piece first.

Once that is decoupled, I jacked it up and put the front on jack stands letting the wheels and differential sag. This gives you full access to all the cover bolts.

You just remove the bolts and take the cover off. Once inside, you will see where the wires go. The termination of the wires is where the sensor is located. You do not have to remove anything else to get at the sensor.

I did not have to replace any wires in the harness. I just unplugged the old sensor and plugged the new one back in. I put it all back together, filled it with differential fluid / friction modifier, and fired it back up. It came back up without the error message.

Thank you for that, that answers my question of where the solenoid is.
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #67
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post

That is the piece that has 2-3 bolts coming off the face of the diff cover? You just removed those bolts and the axle drooped? Or did you remove more of that support to access the cover? I'm not sure if removing those few bolts would give me enough access, but I'm not under the Jeep right now.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #68
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

WOW, what a PITA that was. 3.5 hours to drain, open up front diff, R/R solenoid and wire harness, replace cover and fill with oil. Ended up using an offset wrench on the top three and a multitude of combinations on the rest, and forget about torquing any of them except maybe the bottom few. Here's some pics maybe they will help someone in the future. I started out on the ramps then jacked it up and would adjust the height depending on what bolt I was working on but overall found it easier to work with it about 2' up (bottom of diff) on the jack stands.
Spring clip at base of solenoid, squeeze tips together as you lift the solenoid up.
diff1.jpg
Next two pics are front diff bracket, I only removes the 2 bolts that go into the crossmember.
diff2.jpg

diff3.jpg
Picture of the wire harness on the outside of case and how it attaches, bolt is easier to remove from the rear.
diff4.jpg
My original harness looked pretty good but I figured since I had it open and already had the harness (and hopefully never have to again ) I would put the new one in.
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #69
pawwright

Quote:
Another thank you for the help and info.
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #70
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
You can test it first.

With solenoid disconnected resistance across the solenoid should be 13.5 to 14.5 ohms at 25°Celsius (77° Fahrenheit).

I'll be doing that this week sometime to see whether it's the front or rear.

Thanks for the link dsjr2006
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |

Last edited by wookiee; 07-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: spelling
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #71
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
I'll be doing that this week sometime to see whether it's the front or rear.
My money is on the front. It is harder to do. Therefore, Murphy's Law ensures that the hard one to do is the one that fails. That was the case for me. I have a spare solenoid on the shelf at home for the next time that the front one fails again.
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #72
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

My Service 4WD light (AND ABS and EPS and traction control) was on for over a year. My OBDII scanner wOuldn't pull ABS codes so I had the shop that did my safety inspection hook it up to their Snap On scanner.

It said front passenger wheel speed sensor. They changed it out but it came right back on, so they put in another sensor free of charge... and it came right back on again so they told me it must be the hub itself.

I thought the hub was fine so I lived with it until I redid my front brakes and rotors at around 150k. I decided to change out both front hubs while I was at it. But the lights came right back on.

I tried tracing wires to all the components looking for shorts, but couldn't find anything between the sensors and the main harness. I'm not too good at auto electric so I thought about doing the solenoids next. But I'm glad I read this thread and decided instead to get a good electrical diagnosis.

Found a downright awesome shop wby calling around to 4x4 custom shops, and a used car lot specializing in Jeeps, and asking for recommendations.

Took it in and the guy found the problem in less than three hours. He said the sensor was receiving power but the FDCM was not receiving signal so he knew there was a bad wire. He traced the return wire to the harness, then cut open the harness and traced it back till he found a break in it behind the radiator.

Charged me 2 hours labor, and that's all. Light has stayed off, and i took the wk through the mud at the bottom of the empty retaining pond behind my house, and the QT II works like a champ.

So happy hahaha.
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #73
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

After doing my front i was still having the light and its actually started shifting on its own so i ended up taking it to dealer, they said it is the tcase switch. Waiting on parts now so we shall see.
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #74
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

IF it's the tcase, it may be part of the recall and should be covered by the dealer?
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #75
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_Revenge View Post
IF it's the tcase, it may be part of the recall and should be covered by the dealer?
The recall was for the computer i thought? The computer is what sends it into nuetral.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.