Service 4wd system light - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service 4wd system light

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #31
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
Replaced my front differential solenoid, and that cured my Service 4WD System light issues. It was a $23 part. I did it when swapping the front differential fluid.
Did you just now fix that problem? I'm already on my second Service 4WD System light.

2007 WK Limited (white), QDII, Hemi, OME HD lift, JBA UCA's, Treadwright Guard Dogs 32.25's, Fuel wheels, K&N CAI, BT catch can, 4xGuard rails & belly skid, Saguaro 4x front shackle mounts, tow hitch shackle mount [B][COLOR="Blue"](SOLD)[/COLOR][/B]
lagonwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #32
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I fixed my issue on April 3, about four weeks ago. I had reached 15K on my differential fluid, and it was time to do the fluid swap. I was working to swap out the pinion bushing to try to rid myself of a front end clunk. After completing that swap, I cracked open the front differential cover to do the fluid and replace the solenoid. When I buttoned everything back up, my error message disappeared, and it has been gone for a month now.

Good new / bad news was that my message was cleared, but my clunk remains. I swapped the sway bar bushings this weekend hoping to impact the clunk, but the clunk remains.

My gut feeling is that the clunk is ball joint or steering rack related.
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #33
david_ak
2005 WK 

I've had the service 4wd light issue for probably three years now. Just a month ago I finally took it in (along wit the TSB) to have it flashed. I month went by before the warning light came back on. $100 wasted.

What I haven't seen mentioned in the threads here; about 97% of the time my Jeep displays the message when it's warm out, above 75F. Rarely does it come on in the winter.

Now that I've given the Jeep to my parents, I want to get the issue fixed. Any suggestions for where to start?

Check grounds (where?)?
Replace the solenoids?

Thanks!
david_ak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #34
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_ak View Post
I've had the service 4wd light issue for probably three years now. Just a month ago I finally took it in (along wit the TSB) to have it flashed. I month went by before the warning light came back on. $100 wasted.

What I haven't seen mentioned in the threads here; about 97% of the time my Jeep displays the message when it's warm out, above 75F. Rarely does it come on in the winter.

Now that I've given the Jeep to my parents, I want to get the issue fixed. Any suggestions for where to start?

Check grounds (where?)?
Replace the solenoids?

Thanks!
Check out the 12th post on the 1st page of this thread.
2007 WK Limited (white), QDII, Hemi, OME HD lift, JBA UCA's, Treadwright Guard Dogs 32.25's, Fuel wheels, K&N CAI, BT catch can, 4xGuard rails & belly skid, Saguaro 4x front shackle mounts, tow hitch shackle mount [B][COLOR="Blue"](SOLD)[/COLOR][/B]
lagonwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #35
egaff
2009 XJ Cherokee 

Just brought in my 09 Gr Cher for oil change, tire rotate, air filter, coolant flush. and trans flush. Since getting it back, the car has message Service 4WD system. also it rolls when starting in Park, does'nt move with wheel turned all the way right or left when backing up. gear shifting feals funny, went into 4wd low on its own. expireanced a loud bang when excelerating onto highway. Still under Warr bringing it in this week.
egaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #36
05HemiWK
2005 WK 

Does anyone have the part numbers for the front and rear solenoids?

I have the Service 4WD light on too, and my aftermarket warranty wont cover it, so looks like i'm going to be replacing them myself. My light has been on for MONTHS, and no issues to report so far, the service writer at my stealership said its common for just the light to come on after the 60-70K mile mark. . . i smell BS, BUT i haven't had any problems with the jeep while the lights been on and i took it offroad a few times including pulling my boat and trailer out of a sticky situation while @ the lake.
**2005 WK HEMI 4x4 . . . 2" Daystar Boost, 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, Custom Roof Rack, 8" Procomp Flood Lights, 6" Driving Lights, Custom On Board Air. ** 89 YJ w/ BB and more mods to come **
**********Black WK Club Member #5**********
05HemiWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #37
mrtosh
2005 WK 

52114003AD same part number front and rear.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #38
RocknWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egaff View Post
...the car has message Service 4WD system. also it rolls when starting in Park, does'nt move with wheel turned all the way right or left when backing up. gear shifting feals funny, went into 4wd low on its own. expireanced a loud bang when excelerating onto highway..
These are my exact same conditions. Started acting fully a month ago at 53k miles. I'll likely change fluids and solenoids to see if that fixes anything. Needs to be done anyway.
Seeking '06 LJ Rubicon
RocknWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #39
OtsiderCherokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mine started giving me this indicator earlier this week. I had a friend hook up his Snap On code scanner to it and it is not showing any codes. Unhooking the battery for a few minutes had not effect on this at all, other than showing up on the scan my friend ran.

I hate electronic crap...
OtsiderCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #40
RocknWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknWK View Post
These are my exact same conditions. Started acting fully a month ago at 53k miles. I'll likely change fluids and solenoids to see if that fixes anything. Needs to be done anyway.
Just back from the dealer with a box full of fluids and parts. The front differential actuator is a slightly different part number than quoted earlier in this thread and cost me $50.20 before taxes. New part number is 52114003AF. I will be changing fluid and installing the actuator tomorrow in hopes it fixes my problems.
Seeking '06 LJ Rubicon
Unread 09-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #41
OtsiderCherokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have any of you that had this issue had it scanned and not had any codes show up?
OtsiderCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #42
boykinjw
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Had it show up with no codes on an autozone reader. But the dealer pulled a code with their "star" system. Maybe it digs a little deeper
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #43
RocknWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Just back from the dealer with a box full of fluids and parts. The front differential actuator is a slightly different part number than quoted earlier in this thread and cost me $50.20 before taxes. New part number is 52114003AF. I will be changing fluid and installing the actuator tomorrow in hopes it fixes my problems.
Here's an update: I pulled my front diff cover today after picking up the diff fluid, friction modifier, sealant, and actuator solenoid. I pulled the cover and removed the original actuator. Unfortunately, the wires on the actuator connector were extremely brittle and the wires broke at the connector while disconnecting it. I ran back to the dealer and picked up the 21 dollar harness and installed it with no problem. The wires were a bit longer and I hope they won't get caught up inside the differential. Should be ok.

I reassembled the diff and added the synthetic fluid and friction modifier, then buttoned up everything. This is a fairly simple job but it is fairly dirty and time consuming, so plan on a couple of hours minimum. It was late when I finished so I did not test drive to see if the 4 wheel drive warning message still appeared. I wanted the sealant to set up overnight anyway.

Helpful hints:
The top three 5/8" diff bolts are difficult to reach. I was able to get to them with a short socket and a breaker bar, but I suggest a 5/8" swivel head gear wrench.

Buy the wiring harness along with the actuator solenoid. the connector is brittle and difficult to remove and chances are you'll need a new harness anyway.

Use quality RTV on for the cover. I bought the orange Mopar sealant and it worked great.

Follow the proper torque sequence while tightening the cover bolts. Torque two the bolts over two or three passes and don't over tighten.

Use a clear 1/2" hose on the top of the diff fluid bottle while filling the case. I tried a 1/4" hose and gave up after spilling fluid everywhere. I ruined a good T-shirt from my Alaska vacation ha ha.
Seeking '06 LJ Rubicon
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #44
RocknWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Here's an update: I pulled my front diff cover today after picking up the diff fluid, friction modifier, sealant, and actuator solenoid. I pulled the cover and removed the original actuator. Unfortunately, the wires on the actuator connector were extremely brittle and the wires broke at the connector while disconnecting it. I ran back to the dealer and picked up the 21 dollar harness and installed it with no problem. The wires were a bit longer and I hope they won't get caught up inside the differential. Should be ok.

I reassembled the diff and added the synthetic fluid and friction modifier, then buttoned up everything. This is a fairly simple job but it is fairly dirty and time consuming, so plan on a couple of hours minimum. It was late when I finished so I did not test drive to see if the 4 wheel drive warning message still appeared. I wanted the sealant to set up overnight anyway.
Update to the update: I drove the WK all weekend and have had NO 4wd system warning light since replacing the actuator and wiring harness. I'm also happy to report my front diff cover is not leaking either. I generally hate RTV sealant but the orange MOPAR stuff worked well.
Seeking '06 LJ Rubicon
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
LelandGray
2005 WK 

Quote:
Buy the wiring harness along with the actuator solenoid. the connector is brittle and difficult to remove and chances are you'll need a new harness anyway.
I know this is pretty old, but do you know the part number for the wiring harness??

I have the same 4WD service needed message and have been told I need to replace my solenoid, and I might as well get the wiring harness while I'm doing it.
Silver WK Club Member #11
LelandGray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.