Service 4wd system light - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Service 4wd system light

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
ryanlberg
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podedwards View Post
The fix is simple: The wiring harness is grounding out because of a wire being rubbed bare or in this case answer number 4 above. A simple continuity check finds the problem but auto electric is a mystery to most shops. They'll read codes and replace lots of stuff without thinking through the problem. Talk with the service manager and simply tell him to check it as per number four above.
dealer said it was not the issue. and they dont know what the problem is.

superchips
HEMI Club Member #21
ryanlberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
ryanlberg
2005 WK 

***update***
dealer was getting false readings from the speed sensor/abs sensor that had already been replaced so next they replaced the hub once they did that all the codes they received said it was a bad ABS MODULE so now that is on order will be here next week (thur) . i was not going to pay for something that the first three dealers could not fix when i had my 3/36 so i called Chrysler and pleaded my case and guess what they are going to pick up the bill on whatever it takes to fix my jeep. happy days to Chrysler for doing the right thing
superchips
HEMI Club Member #21
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #18
renne2k
2006 XK Commander 

I've had this. Intermittently had service 4 wheel drive message and three lights amber lights for the ESP and two other I can't remember. It came and went a few times and then came and stayed. Shop said it needed a flash, charged me $55 and it went away, briefly. Then I got the message a few days later without the lights.

Gonna put her in again.
renne2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #19
ryanlberg
2005 WK 

check the list i posted maybe it will help and keep us posted on a fix
superchips
HEMI Club Member #21
Unread 10-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
jcourt667
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Service 4wd system

This thread helped me, even though it's from last year. Was working on a 2006 Commander, for a friend, had the issue of Service 4wd system light. Before I started on it, I thought the starter sounded unlike the familiar Jeep starter whine, I tried removing the negative cable, looking for anything shorting out, inspected the connector on the transfer case, and got the same result. I replaced battery and the familiar Jeep starter whine was good and the service light went away. My fix was a failing battery.
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
BAD68GTO
2006 WK 

If you guys do heavy wheeling and see this with an ABS light, it is a wheel speed sensor most likely which will kill your ESC, ABS and the QTII. You have to use dielectric greae on all the connections to keep water out or you will light up like a Kwanzaa Tree :-) After I did the grease, my problems went away 100%. If it is only the service 4 wheel drive indicator, like the threaad says it can be a zillion different things.
2005 Viper, Vert, DLM SE #27/50, Paxton (w/intercooler) 946 RWHP
2000 Viper GTS, 10 LB Roe+GG heads/intake+Solid Roller, near 800 RWHP on pump gas+WM
1968 GTO 467 CID Fully Ported, Roller, 5-speed
2000 E350 Van with a ZILLION miles
2009 Votes thanks to ACORN
If a conservative is down-and-out, they think about how to better their situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of them.
BAD68GTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #22
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

Just had mine in the shop for this. The "service 4wd system" warning was intermittent, so I was affraid it wouldn't show up when I took it in, but a code did showing up. I'd have to reference the work order to tell you what the code was. The problem was the locker solenoid, so they replaced that and a wire harness.
lagonwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #23
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Was it the front or rear solenoid that was replaced? Please say rear.

Also, just out of curiosity, how much did they charge you to do this work? I paid $23 per solenoid. I bet that they hit you for $500 on a $23 part.

I have both in stock at home for when I do the diff fluids in June 2011 (time at which I will be 15K miles since the last swap), but I was hoping that it was the rear. That is a lot easier to do on the XK since I will be taking the cover off anyway. The front diff cover looks much harder to get off. Normally, I just do the drain and fill plugs on the front diff.

My plan is to swap out the rear diff solenoid first. If that solves the problem, then I will not do the front one and leave it in my parts bin for when the rear dies again in the future.

If it is the front one, then I will swap that one too and keep the old rear one in my part bin for when the front one dies again in the future. My luck pattern dictates that it will be the front one.
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
Was it the front or rear solenoid that was replaced? Please say rear.

Also, just out of curiosity, how much did they charge you to do this work? I paid $23 per solenoid. I bet that they hit you for $500 on a $23 part.

I have both in stock at home for when I do the diff fluids in June 2011 (time at which I will be 15K miles since the last swap), but I was hoping that it was the rear. That is a lot easier to do on the XK since I will be taking the cover off anyway. The front diff cover looks much harder to get off. Normally, I just do the drain and fill plugs on the front diff.

My plan is to swap out the rear diff solenoid first. If that solves the problem, then I will not do the front one and leave it in my parts bin for when the rear dies again in the future.

If it is the front one, then I will swap that one too and keep the old rear one in my part bin for when the front one dies again in the future. My luck pattern dictates that it will be the front one.
The code was P1417
They replaced faulty FRONT differential control actuator/solenoid and harness.
Sorry man.
The Jeep is still under warranty until Dec, so it was free.
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #25
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagonwagon View Post
They replaced faulty FRONT differential control actuator/solenoid and harness.
Doh!

I should have known. Asking was just a futile task.

It looks like I get to remove the front differential cover. I will still probably try the rear first, but I am not optimistic that that will help.
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #26
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
The code was P1417
That cannot be a OBD-II code. That is an EGR temperature code in OBD-II space. It must be a code that can only be retrieved using a Starscan or whatever the Chrysler device is.
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #27
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

Kent,

Sorry I can't provide more info. My wife works for the dealership, so she just took it to work and they fixed it while she was there. She took delivery and, God love her, she doesn't know anything about cars. She just smiled and nodded when the service rep told her what the problem was. The info that I gave you up top is all I have.

On a tangent from that, I am assuming that they changed my front diff fluid if you are saying that you will have to remove your cover to get to the solenoid? It didn't mention that in the service report.
Unread 10-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #28
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
On a tangent from that, I am assuming that they changed my front diff fluid if you are saying that you will have to remove your cover to get to the solenoid? It didn't mention that in the service report.
That is correct. If they actually changed the solenoid, then they had to remove the differential cover. If they removed the cover, then they had to drain the fluid. The fluid swap is probably burried in the parts and labor cost for the original task. I cannot imagine that they drained and returned your original fluid. That would be lame.
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #29
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
That is correct. If they actually changed the solenoid, then they had to remove the differential cover. If they removed the cover, then they had to drain the fluid. The fluid swap is probably burried in the parts and labor cost for the original task. I cannot imagine that they drained and returned your original fluid. That would be lame.
Good to know. I was planning on changing that soon. Thanks.
2007 WK Limited (white), QDII, Hemi, OME HD lift, JBA UCA's, Treadwright Guard Dogs 32.25's, Fuel wheels, K&N CAI, BT catch can, 4xGuard rails & belly skid, Saguaro 4x front shackle mounts, tow hitch shackle mount [B][COLOR="Blue"](SOLD)[/COLOR][/B]
Unread 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #30
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Replaced my front differential solenoid, and that cured my Service 4WD System light issues. It was a $23 part. I did it when swapping the front differential fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.